Advice needed for army completion - 1500 point balanced - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Advice needed for army completion - 1500 point balanced

First, a random question - do raveners move 9 assault 9, or move 6 assault 12 (and fleet of course) ... I've heard both, and can't find the 9/9 in the 'nid codex, so I'm confused.

Alright, well before I list the army and my quandary for gaps, let me preface things by saying that I play with a group of the same people regularly and because of the nature of our fights we avoid MEGA-tricking out our units ... so having Carnifexes with regeneration + reinforced chitin + extended carapace + bonded exoskeleton + etc. = NO NO NO, so in terms of the way I've rigged out my tyrant/fexes *durability wise* please don't suggest I make them "tougher," as it's not really kosher within the group. The simple reason for this is that if I make mine tougher, my opponents all start rigging their armies out with more and more vehicles / heavy weapons, then I get more and more fexes and venom cannons, tyrant guards to sling around, double tyrants, nidzilla, and so on and so forth and eventually we have a big firefight from multiple quarters in free-for-all battles instead of tactical/balanced/strategic fights where it's more about tactics, cover usage, focused fire, etc. than it is about winning before you go with army design ... in other words, fun over utter min/maxing.

My opponents are most often dark angels / black templars / necron / demon hunters / imperial guard, and I often face 3 of those at once on the table in 4-way ffa matches.

Regardless, I go for shooty 'nids with a tiny sprinkling of close combat to shock anyone that screws with me too carelessly ... I tend to be very paradoxical in my outlook, as I am less a fan of needlessly expending my units (except gaunts), and more a fan of maximum damage at minimium cost, and I'll list my army now ...

HQ
    Hive Tyrant w/ Enhanced Senses, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon
    3 x Warriors w/ Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Barbed Strangler, 2x Deathspitters

Elite
    - Undecided (normally 2 more squads of the same 3 warriors kitted as the elite/hq choices above)

Troop
    6 squads of 10 gaunts with spinefists

Fast Attack
    3 "squads" of 1 ravener each

Heavy Support
    2 x Carnifex w/ Enhanced Senses, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler
    3 x Zoanthrope w/ Warp Blast, Psychic Scream (I typically have a tyrant and 12 warriors, and mostly high leadership critters, so I tend not to spend the 30 further points on synapse, though I can and sometimes do)

This leaves me with 275-280 points (280 if I go to 1505) to spend however I choose ... typically I spend 184 of those on 2 more warrior squads, then 80 on another pair of raveners, making 2 squads of 2 and 1 of 1, with 11-16 "leftover" points that I typically just use to toss a couple extra gaunts in or a biomorph to suit the moment or making one of my zoanthropes synapse.

Looking for general input / critique / whatever, suggestions, you name it ... most especially focused on the elite choices, but I welcome any general commentary. I have a LOT of firepower here, with the usual force containing 4 S4 pie plates, 2 S8 pie plates, 1 S5 pie plate, 6 S6 deathspitter blasts, 3 S5AP3 zoanthrope blasts, etc. Anyway, suggest / critique away ... so far I've won about 15 with these (new-ish with nids) and lost one ffa, so it's done me well (and these are high caliber opponents, good smart fellas), but I'm always looking to perfect it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    First, a random question - do raveners move 9 assault 9, or move 6 assault 12 (and fleet of course) ... I've heard both, and can't find the 9/9 in the 'nid codex, so I'm confused.

Alright, well before I list the army and my quandary for gaps, let me preface things by saying that I play with a group of the same people regularly and because of the nature of our fights we avoid MEGA-tricking out our units ... so having Carnifexes with regeneration + reinforced chitin + extended carapace + bonded exoskeleton + etc. = NO NO NO, so in terms of the way I've rigged out my tyrant/fexes *durability wise* please don't suggest I make them "tougher," as it's not really kosher within the group. The simple reason for this is that if I make mine tougher, my opponents all start rigging their armies out with more and more vehicles / heavy weapons, then I get more and more fexes and venom cannons, tyrant guards to sling around, double tyrants, nidzilla, and so on and so forth and eventually we have a big firefight from multiple quarters in free-for-all battles instead of tactical/balanced/strategic fights where it's more about tactics, cover usage, focused fire, etc. than it is about winning before you go with army design ... in other words, fun over utter min/maxing.

My opponents are most often dark angels / black templars / necron / demon hunters / imperial guard, and I often face 3 of those at once on the table in 4-way ffa matches.

Regardless, I go for shooty 'nids with a tiny sprinkling of close combat to shock anyone that screws with me too carelessly ... I tend to be very paradoxical in my outlook, as I am less a fan of needlessly expending my units (except gaunts), and more a fan of maximum damage at minimium cost, and I'll list my army now ...

HQ
    Hive Tyrant w/ Enhanced Senses, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Elite
    - Undecided (normally 2 more squads of the same 3 warriors kitted as the elite/hq choices above)

Troop
    6 squads of 10 gaunts with spinefists

Fast Attack
    3 "squads" of 1 ravener each

Heavy Support
    2 x Carnifex w/ Enhanced Senses, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler
    3 x Zoanthrope w/ Warp Blast, Psychic Scream (I typically have a tyrant and 12 warriors, and mostly high leadership critters, so I tend not to spend the 30 further points on synapse, though I can and sometimes do)

This leaves me with 275-280 points (280 if I go to 1505) to spend however I choose ... typically I spend 184 of those on 2 more warrior squads, then 80 on another pair of raveners, making 2 squads of 2 and 1 of 1, with 11-16 "leftover" points that I typically just use to toss a couple extra gaunts in or a biomorph to suit the moment or making one of my zoanthropes synapse.

Looking for general input / critique / whatever, suggestions, you name it ... most especially focused on the elite choices, but I welcome any general commentary. I have a LOT of firepower here, with the usual force containing 4 S4 pie plates, 2 S8 pie plates, 1 S5 pie plate, 6 S6 deathspitter blasts, 3 S5AP3 zoanthrope blasts, etc. Anyway, suggest / critique away ... so far I've won about 15 with these (new-ish with nids) and lost one ffa, so it's done me well (and these are high caliber opponents, good smart fellas), but I'm always looking to perfect it.

firstly raveners move 6" plus fleet movement and assault 12" so they take care of most tanks and infantry
    ok if your going for a shooty nids army this looks very good plus you still have the swarm elements of your spinegaunts which are generally overlooked and usually pay for very their small points cost.
    with your warriors i personally would take venom cannons instead of barbed stranglers because you get 3 shots on bs 3 instead of one and instead of st 4 large blast you have 3 st 7 shots also you already have plenty of barbed stranglers to take care of hordes but if you're going for a lot of blast weapons then thats fine. very handy against swarm armies like guard, orks and other nids.
    with that many spinegaunts taking the synapse creature ability is generally a good idea unless you keep your synapse close to your gaunts. you only have 3 units with synapse but thats up to you. i like the idea of them having pyschic scream as this often causes enemys to break and run easily and for this reason i think i might take it.

all in all a very good army list for shooty nids but i myself am i CC nids player so you can choose whether or not this is helpful. hope this is useful
    Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Venom cannons on tyranid warriors w/ toxin sacs = only 2 shots, not 3. Against infantry, these are far inferior to the 1 S4 strangler just due to the math behind how damaging the blast is if it hits, + pinning test etc. Against vehicles, I've already got the fexes and the tyrant and the zoanthropes, but I've also got 2 S6 blasts per warrior squad. I used to use a VC on the warriors, but just found it to be less overall useful ... but that's just me. S7 shots don't seem to do enough damage to what's on the field against me also, which is probably meaningful ... I'm facing Monoliths, land raiders, predators and leman russes ... 7+6 = 13, insufficient for most of those with 14 front armor or 13 at least. I'm ALSO facing dreadnaughts on occasion, and lots of annoying assault cannon landspeeders ... since they need to get inside 24" to hit me, my S6 deathspitters take care of them.

Typically, vehicles are not what I have trouble killing or disabling, since the fexes absolutely own them, and the S6 deathspitter blasts destroy open-toppers.

Thanks for the ravener clarification ... I kept seeing references to 9/9 instead of 6/12 and it was confusing me ... I use them mostly to race at and destroy careless small or heavy units, and enemy characters. Getting a couple of rends on a charge against a character is orgasmic.

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good points and i frogot about the 2 shot thing with VCs. anyway i dont often play as shooty nids as you can see from my army list if you find it. come to think of it with 3 strong VC monsters, 3 warp blasts and 3 raveners your pretty much sorted against tanks.
    nice list. not many shooty nid players these days
    Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Part of why I developed shooty at first was that we used to play almost exclusively 4-way free for alls. Melee 'nids are so nasty when they get in close, that inevitably I'd always be open to non-covered fire from at least one person while moving at any objective or target. Also, melee 'nids are NOT good at diverging fire ... that big swarm of melee monsters becomes really weak as soon as it has to split up to handle multiple problems ... the shootier nids are able to hang back a little more, with a big swarm of gaunts ready to tie up or tackle close-up threats, and can redirect fire as needed ... the raveners are great in melee, but their "real purpose" is to race in late and snag or contest table quarters as needed, while I spend the majority of the turn carefully using cover and fire to blast crap into oblivion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

(bump) :ninja:

+ Reply to Thread