My first ~1850 Tyranid list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first ~1850 Tyranid list

Question for the assembled Hive Mind...

I've seen Godzilla lists, Swarm lists, Choir lists, genestealer lists, and lists that have some of everything. Has anyone tried a true deepstrike list? Everything else arrives when your opponent is mostly (or totally) deployed. Everything has rending. Lictors become very important in this list due to the reserve re-rolls. Yes there is a danger from all the deepstriking that you scatter into his units, but it's something I've never seen tried! Yes there aren't any monsterous creatures but that does two things, first it really screws up his target priority, second everything has rending so it should be okay when it comes time to opening tanks like tin cans. I like the drop pods in my marine army and this is the closest I could come to making a similar Tyranid list. What do you think? This just seems like a a fluffy kind of 'invasion' swarm.

This is a list I was thinking about for roughly 1850 points or there abouts. I know it won't win tournements but it seems like a new kind of list.

HQ
    Broodlord w/tendrils - 80
    + 11 Genestealers w/ extended carapace - 220

- These guys infiltrate, hide in cover, then run through cover and get ready to carve up some unit like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Troop1 - 240
    12 Genestealers
    + extended carapace

Troop2 - 240
    12 Genestealers
    + extended carapace

- These are the only units that do not infiltrate, deepstrike, burrow, etc. Set them up some place and let the opponent setup to kill them.

Fast Attack1
    Gargoyles Brood

- To be honest I'm not sure if I should have a gargolye brood or more Raveners. Just fill the brood until you hit the point limit.

Fast Attack2 - 300
    6 Raveners
    + talons/rending
    + Devourers

Fast Attack3 - 300
    6 Raveners
    + talons/rending
    + Devourers

These units arrive, fill the nearest things full of holes and then eat any survivors.

Elite - 240
    3 Lictors

Generally these guys allow me to get all my troops in when I want them, and they help wreak small isolated squads.

May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Escaflowne View Post
    Has anyone tried a true deepstrike list?
    Not to my knowledge (not since 3rd edition, anyway... back when we could use Seeding Swarms), mostly because the Tyranids are largely an assault-based army which means you spend a turn in rapid-fire range losing your expensive and fragile deep-strikers before you can assault.

second everything has rending so it should be okay when it comes time to opening tanks like tin cans.
    Rending isn't a reliable method of dealing with tanks. Most rending creatures are too slow to effectively chase down tanks... and skimmers are a huge pain for obvious reasons.

HQ
    Broodlord w/tendrils - 80
    + 11 Genestealers w/ extended carapace - 220
    11 genestealers are a huge number to attempt to infiltrate together. You'll have better success paring these guys down to about 7 or so, otherwise you might get stuck in your deployment zone.

Troop1 - 240
    12 Genestealers
    + extended carapace

Troop2 - 240
    12 Genestealers
    + extended carapace
    Good genestealers. Make sure they're in cover since they can't infiltrate / deep strike. They're going to take major fire on turn one.

Fast Attack1
    Gargoyles Brood

- To be honest I'm not sure if I should have a gargolye brood or more Raveners. Just fill the brood until you hit the point limit.
    Gargoyles are awesome. Unlike Raveners, they can actually kill things the turn they arrive, and they out CC Hormagaunts. I don't deepstrike them, though, because they're very likely to wind up killing themselves in an enemy unit due to the large number of models.

Fast Attack2 - 300
    6 Raveners
    + talons/rending
    + Devourers

Fast Attack3 - 300
    6 Raveners
    + talons/rending
    + Devourers
    Really not how I like to deploy Raveners. Unfortunately, Raveners are very squishy, which means they're likely to be wiped out in only a few turns of shooting. In normal play, I suggest fielding 3 broods of a single Ravener and keeping them together as if they were one unit... but in a deep strike list, I'm really torn. Using the FA slots for Gargoyles might be the better option.

Guns on Raveners are also typically a waste, but at least it ensures they'll kill something when they arrive, so I have no major complaints about it in a list like this.

Elite - 240
    3 Lictors

Generally these guys allow me to get all my troops in when I want them, and they help wreak small isolated squads.
    Not much you can say about Lictors... you've got the right tactics for them.

There's really not much I can say... You're really short on numbers and synapse (remember, Raveners and Gargoyles both suffer IB tests, although their higher leadership helps make sure you'll actually get to assault) and at 1850 points, the likelihood of you facing large numbers of tanks is very high. Rending or no, Tanks will give you fits... but I'd really have to see this list played to really critique. It seems really likely to me that the Ravener broods will be decimated the turn they arrive.

If you've got your heart set on doing a list like this, look into the Tyranid Trygon from Forge World. I can't talk about the rules for copyright reasons, but it's a giant Ravener. What's not to like about a giant Ravener?

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

well, personally I find three faults with this list. While it is a very interesting idea it really relies on certain things that aren't a garuntee. First off, it assumes that your mission allows you to infiltrate and deepstrike. I know that at 1850 most missions will be omega and that range, but you still run the risk that you won't get to deploy the way you want to.

The second has already been mentioned. You pop all of your units up, then you have to sit there and watch as the marines\eldar\tau\chaos rapid fire the ever living daylights out of them. And then, since you're likely within twelve inches, they assault you. All in all, very very risky, and causes lots of damage to your very fragile units.

The final risk you run is that you're not garunteed to have these units come in at once. Yes you reroll, however, even then there's a roughly 25% chance that any given unit won't come in on turn 2. Given that your tactic really relies on bringing them all in at once (otherwise they just get piecemealed and blow to bits) that is a huge percentage chance of not having the units you need.

In total, a very interesting idea that would be quite interesting to see played, and might be fun to play as well. But, I don't see it being competative, just because you're running really huge risks and relying upon rather large gambles. It could work, and if it does you'd be able to rip apart almost any army on turn 3 (the earliest your deepstrikers could assault) but the chances of it working are... low, personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this list is intersesting and would do well at something like orks, but if you take this list to a tournament, IMO it will get wasted. Because, any armour you come up against is going to be a real pain to take out. Rending just isnt good enough. And when you deepstrike your Gargoyals, they will be shot to death by 1, 10 man squad of marines/gaurd/whatever

Soo.... IMO I would drop the gargoyals, Lictors, or/and raveners, and take some tanks(Carnifex, Hive whatever)and make them shooty. Your close combat is already enough with the Genstealers and Brood lord. And with the tanks your troops wont be as focused upon by the enemy:shifty:

Now, if you want to stay as a fast attack unit with deepsrike and infletrait, than keep your list. if you want to take the list to a Tournament, i would really consider puting in some shooty tanks.

Good luck man, and hope I help.

P.S, drop the damn feeder tendrils on the brood, he always hits on 3 anyway:sleep:
    One Shot, One Kill

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i Like the idea and all but there is one very important thing.

YOU HAVE ONE SYNAPSE CREATURE

i am aware that all your models are ld 10 but there is still a chance you will fail and if you do you either run to your broodlord, sit there and unload your devourers at the nearest enemy. Just my thoughts on the list. Great concept but it'll be very difficult to pull off.
    Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

+ Reply to Thread