First 1000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 1000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

First 1000

My first crack at 1000, trying to get up the balls to stop playing 500 point games after 5 months or so (still trying to get assault rules down pat).
    Here's my projected 1000 point list, limited by models (don't have a carnifex together, no zoanthropes, only (ONLY) 3 boxes of gaunts).

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant
    Winged, Flesh Hooks, Toxic Miasma, Toxin Sacs, WS Adrenals, 2XScything Talons, Warp Field
    192pts

-----------
    Warrior Brood
    2 with ExCarapace, Deathspitter, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs
    -36pts each
    1 with ExCarapace, Venom Cannon, Scything Callons, Toxin Sacs, ESenses
    -46pts

118pts total
    -------------

FA:
    Winged Warrior Brood
    3 with Wings, Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs
    -129pts total
    --------------

Troops:
    21 Spinegaunts, nude -105pts
    16 Hormagaunts with I Adrenals- 176
    12 genestealers, scuttlers, excarapace - 184

-------------------------------
    996pts

The warriors and the tyrant represent my attempts to make a secure synapse network since the winged ones have to hang around the hormagaunts, and the tyrant. The genestealers, who in the past haven't served a purpose besides eating bolter fire would probably proceed up along the flank, splitting the attention of the enemy force.

If my points are off, please, point it out. I have a nasty habit of forgetting a biomorph, or overcharging myself for gaunts, etc.

I really hope that math's right... :unsure:

Any major holes or issues, please, criticize.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok lets see

the tyrant looks good although instead of toxic miasma i take psychic scream but both of these have little impact. i prefer to get the unit to break after i kill a few but i guess your tryin to get them to not even aly a hand on you. Good Tyrant.

Warriors seem good apart from the fact you only gave one of them ehanced senses and to my knowledge each warrior must take the same bio-morphs. Otherwise seems ok to me.

I prefer to steer clear of winged warriors as they have an apalling armour save and are quite a large investment. You have a lot of fast units though so they shouldnt get singled out.

Genestealers with scuttlers is a bad idea because they end up as the front line of your army and stealers are high priority targets for anyone. keep them behind your gaunts and spend the points u get from taking away scuttlers for more gaunts, biomorphs or warriors etc.

one last thing. you need anti-armor. Even one monster such as a basic Zoanthrope with Warp Blast. Its only 55pts.

Good starters list. Hope this helps
    Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list looks pretty good, but there are a couple things i would change if you can. I dont really like ranged warrior units, their limited ballistic skill means that a fairly expensive unit with a limited number of shots only hits half the time. I agree with JMG that the wings can also be a little bit of a risk, i go for leaping instead as it can help you keep up with the fast stuff fairly well for a bit cheaper. I would also try to get a venom cannon and enhanced senses on the hive tyrant to fill the anti tank roll. I know you dont have the carnifex together yet, but that would be top on my priority list if i was you. A 'fex adds amazing hitting power to a list, be it ranged or combat, and i've never regretted having one in a thousand points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

Firstly, thanks for the help.

I've heard both sides of the wing's debate before. I usually like having a small 'strike team' of winged warriors, mostly jumping around and providing 'through cover' synapse. They've also been invaluable in city fight scenarios when I've been dealing with my local Saim-Ha Ha I can jump over everything-Hann player.

The gunner team was there, ironically, to cover for the armies lack of ranged anti-tank. I figured between the strike team's rending claws, the genestealers (if they make it to combat) and the tyrant and his monstrous creature benefits, that would've been taken care of. I am working on the carnifex atm, although I'm having trouble figuring out how to put the barber strangler and venom cannon on the model.

As for the 'top priority' genestealers with scuttlers. I've found the little four armed bastards never actually make it to the other side of the map. They've been cut to pieces by artillery, jetbikes, jump infantry, ordinance, mortars, and so on. Mostly what I've seen of it is that the enemy is so afraid of them, he diverts unnecessary fire their way, which on at least two occasions has let totally untouched gaunt broods and the tyrant smack right into their underbelly.

I could leave the scuttler's off, but I don't know if they'll still inspire as much fear and thus draw as much fire if they can't get as close as fast.

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting. you're using the stealers as a diversion. Tactically thinking its brilliant but does it work.

(and honestly if i was any shooty army i would've fallen for it) :w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am working on the carnifex atm, although I'm having trouble figuring out how to put the barber strangler and venom cannon on the model.
    If you're looking for some great ideas for carnifex conversions, GW has some great pictures here: Warhammer 40,000 - Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

Oh I know what I want out of the guy, its just tricky getting the strangler and the VC on at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook2k5 View Post
    HQ:
    Hive Tyrant
    Winged, Flesh Hooks, Toxic Miasma, Toxin Sacs, WS Adrenals, 2XScything Talons, Warp Field
    192pts.
    Good. You could drop Toxic Miasma to save some points

-----------
    Warrior Brood
    2 with ExCarapace, Deathspitter, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs
    -36pts each
    1 with ExCarapace, Venom Cannon, Scything Callons, Toxin Sacs, ESenses
    -46pts

118pts total
    -------------
    As mentioned before ES has to be on every warrior. I have a low opion of shooty Warriors. Some people prefer a BS to a VC.
    FA:
    Winged Warrior Brood
    3 with Wings, Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs
    -129pts total
    --------------
    Both +init or +WS are better than Tox.

Troops:
    21 Spinegaunts, nude -105pts
    16 Hormagaunts with I Adrenals- 176
    12 genestealers, scuttlers, excarapace - 184
    Your 'stealers are a big fat target. You want to spread the threats around so that your opponent has diffuculty deciding on target priorities. Drop all extra biomorphs (except EC). Remeber quantity over quality or to quote Stalin "quantity is a quality". You want 2 broods of 8. Guants aren't that effective but in big numbers they are a big head ache. Try to position your guants in front of the 'stealers. At least it will force a target priority roll. Once the hormies charge, combat will block LOS allowing your stealers to move up safely. I would drop some spinegaunts as manuvering more than 18 is a problem. Remember more broods gives you more fleet rolls & a better chance to make it to combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    the tyrant looks good although instead of toxic miasma i take psychic scream
    Just to point something out, his Tyrant already has one psychic power (Warp Field) which is infinitely preferable on a flying Tyrant to Psychic Scream (although Warp Blast can be useful and a nasty surprise for an unwary enemy).

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah yes. i forgot about that rule. disregard what i said. keep toxic miasma and warp field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast