[1750] (simple but hard hittingl) tourny list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1750] (simple but hard hittingl) tourny list

The list is meant to be simple as it is hard hitting. It's based on the Fish of Fury tactic and I'm thinking about entering a tourny with it. I wanted to make it "simple", so there's no markerlights, no kroot/ vespids and not much variation of units. It's also designed so the whole army is able to move quite rapidly and crush an enemy flank/ unit/ weak point and pick the enemy apart piece by piece.

Please comments and criticism are always welcome and appreciated.

HQ
    Shas'el Kas'on
    Shas'el + Plasma Rifle + CIB + Targetting Array + HW Multi tracker (100)

Elites
    Crisis Team Kent'a
    3 x Shas'ui + team leader + 2 x Missle Pod + Fusion Gun + 3 x Plasma Rifle + 3 x Multi tracker + HW target lock (196)

Crisis Team Benn'y
    3 x Shas'ui + team leader + 2 x Missle Pod + Fusion Gun + 3 x Plasma Rifle + 3 x Multi tracker + HW target lock (196)

Troops
    Firewarrior team 1
    10 Shas'la + Shas'ui + Devilfish + Smart Missle System + Decoy Launcher + Multi Tracker (235)

Firewarrior team 2
    10 Shas'la + Shas'ui + Devilfish + Smart Missle System + Decoy Launcher + Multi Tracker (235)

Firewarrior team 3

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead + Rail Gun + Smart Missle System + Target Lock + Multi Tracker + Decoy Launcher (180)

Hammerhead + Rail Gun + Smart Missle System + Target Lock + Multi Tracker + Decoy Launcher (180)

Total 1737

(Just as a side note, after I designed this army I tried to design a Space Marine/ Black Templar army to take this one apart but came up short everytime!) :shifty:

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Double post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Looks fine. You have enough anti-infantry, give your shas'el a missile pod instead of a cib. Add targeting arrays to your devilfish.
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post
    Looks fine. You have enough anti-infantry, give your shas'el a missile pod instead of a cib. Add targeting arrays to your devilfish.
    Why Missle pod rather than the CIB? I was thinking about giving him a Airbursting Fragmentation Projectile but that would waste the targeting array. Besides, the CIB has 5 shots rather than the 2 from the missle pod.
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by C'Tan Pooky View Post
    Why Missle pod rather than the CIB? I was thinking about giving him a Airbursting Fragmentation Projectile but that would waste the targeting array. Besides, the CIB has 5 shots rather than the 2 from the missle pod.
    Yeah but you get 2 STR7 shots which are better for taking out a wider range of targets, your Shas is one of your most valuable assets and his BS should be used to best advantage, just restricting him to infantry is a waste, there is also the fact that CIB is close ranged and not guaranteed to hurt a targeted unit enough to prevent retaliaton on your Shas(either by shooting or by assaults).

You have enough anti infantyr without wasting your valuable Shas'El hunting the same units, he should be out armour killing and character hunting with his superior stats.

I personaly go for Helios multi on my two Shas'Els because I know they kill what they hit and they can kill anything, though they need some skill to use well.

Your list looks solid enough, I am not a fan of XV8 teams of 3 and I would maybe consider knocking each squad down to two XV8's with MP/Plasma/multi give one a team leader upgrade and give him TA and HW multi with HW target lock.

Then take another Shas'El (either helios or fireknife multi doesnt matter which).
    By doing the above you will have two very hard to kill HQ units that will be a considerable threat to the opponent, you will also have two XV8 units that can target 4 seperate units a turn.

This set up will give your opponent some real headaches because he will have to stop 4 units from shooting a turn and the smaller XV8 units and Shas'Els IC status wil make them very hard to kill, but you can hit 6 units every turn from range and quite safely.
    Plus you only lose one XV8, not sure about the points but it will give you some left over to play with, maybe enough to add those TA to the devilfish that Oni advised.
    I know you had the TL on the teams but the Shas'El is a better use of the points than an extra XV8 in each team trust me.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; December 27th, 2006 at 13:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your list looks solid enough, I am not a fan of XV8 teams of 3 and I would maybe consider knocking each squad down to two XV8's with MP/Plasma/multi give one a team leader upgrade and give him TA and HW multi with HW target lock.

Then take another Shas'El (either helios or fireknife multi doesnt matter which).
    By doing the above you will have two very hard to kill HQ units that will be a considerable threat to the opponent, you will also have two XV8 units that can target 4 seperate units a turn.
    Why aren't you a fan of crisis teams of 3? I would have thought that 3 would be better than 2, more shots with plasma = more dead MEQs. If I take squad size of 2 it seems too small to me.

The original plan was to have 2 Shas'el commanders running around with the 2 teams of crisis suits but I just didn't have the points left over when I decided on the strong base of fire warriors and hammerheads.

If I did drop my crisis suit squads to 2 I could easily afford another commander. But then that's 2 less crisis suits (i.e. 4 plasma and 2 missle pod shots) for 1 commander (i.e. 1 fusion blaster and 2 plasma shots).
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the updated list. I took out the repeated units and just added the multiple at the front.

HQ
    Shas'el Kas'on
    Shas'el + Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster + Targetting Array + HW Multi tracker (97)

Elites
    2 x Crisis Team (Kent'a and Benn'y)

Troops
    3 x Firewarrior team
    10 Shas'la + Shas'ui + Devilfish + Smart Missle System + Decoy Launcher + Multi Tracker + Targeting Array (240)

Heavy Support
    3 x Hammerhead + Rail Gun + Smart Missle System + Target Lock + Multi Tracker + Decoy Launcher (180)

Total 1749
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Why aren't you a fan of crisis teams of 3? I would have thought that 3 would be better than 2, more shots with plasma = more dead MEQs. If I take squad size of 2 it seems too small to me.
    One reason is victory points. You can lose one of the models out of a 2-suit team and still maintain full victory points for the unit. I would imagine that if an opponent is capable of taking out 2 of 3 suits, they are capable of taking out all three. In either case, if you lose one model, you have to take a LD check, so it may be more beneficial and efficient to keep your teams monat or duo just for victory points purposes.

Maybe if you take a drone with a trio, or two drones with a duo? That gives you that magic even number that makes surviving/conserving victory points easiest....

Another reason that occurs to me is simplicity and flexibility. You can only give the team leader or 'vre a target lock. In a duo team, that means each one can virtually act independently. In a trio, the leader/'vre can shoot independently, but the other pair would have to shoot at the same target. Depending on your weapon choices, this might make it harder for your opponent to guess what you'll be shooting at, while simultaneously giving you more freedom to select targets as you won't have to worry about (perhaps suboptimally) dedicating two suits to a single target.

Then again, maybe I'm overthinking this latter aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'Tan Pooky
    If I did drop my crisis suit squads to 2 I could easily afford another commander. But then that's 2 less crisis suits (i.e. 4 plasma and 2 missle pod shots) for 1 commander (i.e. 1 fusion blaster and 2 plasma shots).
    While definitely a trade-off, this isn't the full measure of it. You're trading two models at, at best, BS 4 (perhaps only BS 3), for a model that should be shooting at BS 5 and has the added protection of independent character status. You'll have to do your own calculus, I suppose, but I personally prefer the better-protection and superior targeting of the HQ shas'el/'o.
    Last edited by number6; December 27th, 2006 at 23:38.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps instead of having 2 squads of 3 I could have 3 squads of 2. That way I could get more fusion blasters in the army.
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Perhaps instead of having 2 squads of 3 I could have 3 squads of 2. That way I could get more fusion blasters in the army.
    You need two HQ's they have superior stats as standard and they can survive the whole battle if your savvy with IC rules, the two man teams are superior because they can utilise cover so much more effectively, give a two man suit team target lockd fireknife and you have a team that can target 2 units with 3STR7/6 shots at 24" and then move back to 30" and utilise mid size cover, but the main thing is the points saved bolster the rest of your list without compromising the XV8 components

+ Reply to Thread