Altansar Strike Force (1500) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altansar Strike Force (1500)

Okay,

I've got a load of Dark Reapers I was going to build a force around before the new Codex came out. I've been thinking about trying to put together a fairly fluffy list that could be competitive as well. I'm a big fan of Warp Spiders as well, but Swooping Hawks with Skyleap just seem to have too many possibilities to pass up.

In theory Altansar should probably have no aspect troops except Dark Reapers and possibly Dire Avengers, but their contact with Ulthwe would seem to allow them at least a limited access. Anyway, here goes:

HQ-
    Maugen Ra (195)

Autarch (115)
    - Chainsword, Fusion Gun, Mandiblaster, Hawk Wings

Troops-
    3 Guardian Jetbikes (76)
    - Shuricannon

3 Guardian Jetbikes (76)
    - Shuricannon

Fast Attack-
    4 Swooping Hawks + Exarch (152)
    - Sunrifle, Intercept, Skyleap

Heavy Support-
    5 Dark Reapers (175)

5 Dark Reapers (175)

That comes to 1344 points. The Reapers and Maugen Ra give me a good solid firebase while the Autarch, Hawks and Bikes give me good mobility. The Hawks are basically unkillable if I just want to drop Templates and deny VPs (plus they can grab or contest objectives at the end of the game), but can always stick around for a turn to shoot up a Squad or try to assault stubborn Vehicles.

Now for the hard part, what do I put in that last Hvy. Support slot. I'd like to put in a Fire Prism for another template or AT gun (dropping 1 Sunrifle), but fluff wise, it wouldn't fit through the Webway Portal. I could go with a BL/EML Wraithlord which would give me some additional AT power as well as something to back up Maugen Ra against Deep strikers. I could use a battery of 3 Vibrocannon (more pinning plus AT) or even a unit of 3 dual SL Warwalkers (dropping 2 Sunrifles).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Last edited by OracleBoyd; December 28th, 2006 at 17:31. Reason: clarity

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Autarch:

I would upgrade your Autach with a Power Sword. Being a character he should really be able to ignor armour saves, in addition he would be one of your only deterrants against combat. Apart from this his fine.

Jetbikes:

It seems you're buying these guys just because they're a fast troops choice but you're not really developing them enough to be that useful to your army, almost like you're taking for the sake of it. I recommend you upgrade one of the bikes in each squadron with a Shuriken Cannon for a bit more fire power and range. I would also probably increase the bike squadron to 4 for a bit more resilience. Also consider the addition of a Warlock with a Singing Spear and Destructor. This will increase their anti-infantry potential and you can do hit and run attacks on vehicles with the Singing Spear. With literally no anti-tank shooting you can do with them.

Swooping Hawks:

The squads are set-up fine, but they are a bit small in size. Even with the sunrifle they don't throw out enough shots to really tackle infantry effectively. Their grenade drop packs are also ok at most against infantry given that these also scatter and only hit at the strength of a shuriken catapult. I recommend at least 8 men a squad here for the nessicary anti-infantry fire power.

Dark Reapers:

These guys are alright. I would include an Exarch each though with an Eldar Missile Launcher and fast shot. Mainly because your army has not long range anti-tank shooting. If faced against armies with large numbers of vehicles you'd struggle to hold them off.

Addition:

Given the weaknesses of the list I highly advise the Fire Prism, it will offer you some solid fire power which none of the units bar the Dark Reapers really have. If not and you really want to stick with a strike force theme how about a pair of Warwalkers with two missle launchers each. This will throw out enough anti-tank and anti-infantry to deter most units.

I would personally drop maugan ra and one of the reaper squads in favour of the warwalkers or/and Fire Prism and the mentioned upgrades to the existing squads.

Although not strike force themed, consider a 8 man squad of Warp Spiders including an Exarch with twin Death Spinners and power blades. This will offer you a solid mobile fire base and fits the theme of your force well....despite not originally part of the strike force list. (A strike force mainly used guardians anyways :/)
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops

Heh,

I had paid for the Shuricannon, but failed to include them in the list. I've fixed that.

The Autarch originally had the Powersword, but I trimmed it when I was trying to fit in the Fire Prism. I'd put it back in with almost any other configuration.

The small Hawk squads are an experiment to see how I much I can do with the Templates. I might increase their size when I add points to this army (or I might combine them into 2 squads and add the Spiders). I can lay 18 S4 Large templates with them over the course of a game and then claim/contest objectives with them on the last turn. My opponent will never have the opportunity to kill any of them unless I leave them on the board to try to kill vehicles or shoot up an infantry squad. They've got at least a 50% chance to hit with Haywire Grenades.

I'm starting to not like putting the Exarch in the Reaper squads. He's an extra 42 points and I waste 8 Reaper shots if he shoots at anything but the lightest vehicles. I can always switch things around since I have Exarchs as well.

Maugen Ra is sort of central to the theme, and is probably the only Pheonix Lord whos worth the points. If I drop him and 1 Reaper squad, then it's really just Ulthwe Strike Force (which would be alright too).

Okay,

If I drop 2 of the Sunrifles (which will leave me less tempted to leave the Hawks on the board), I can fit in 2 dual EML Warwalkers, 2 Warlocks with Spears/Destructor for the Bike squads and the Power Sword for the Autarch. That would seem to address the Anti Tank question nicley and improve my Anti Infantry ability as well (thanks Heiromyo!). I like it, although it will be harder for me to put together...
    - OracleBoyd

+ Reply to Thread