1000 points "target denial" eldar army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points "target denial" eldar army.

Well, it's time to start afresh. I've been playing eldar on and off for the last 10 years, and my army is a complete mess of mostly second-hand units painted to various standards with random conversions, guardians with all their aerials broken off, chipped paints on most of the figures, inconsistent basing... and well, you get the idea.

It's a complete mess, and it's time to make a fresh start with all the shiney shiney new models

My playing style with eldar has always been "target denial". I try to make the enemies shooting ineffective by rapid movement that either obscures a unit, or puts it in range of an enemy unit that isn't the best one for dealing with it. Naturally I like lots of terrain on the board, and absolutely despise indirect fire.

Anyway, on with the list:

H.Q.
    Autarch: mandiblasters, power weapon, fusion gun: 100

ELITES
    6 Fire Dragons: 96
    5 Striking Scorpions: 80

TROOPS
    5 Dire Avengers: 60
    5 Dire Avengers: 60

FAST ATTACK
    5 swooping hawks: exarch with sunrifle, skyleap, intercept 152

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Falcon: starcannon, holofield, star engines, vectored engines, spirit stones, shuriken cannon: 230
    Falcon: starcannon, holofield, star engines, vectored engines, spirit stones: 220

TOTAL: 998

Some people like an obscene amount of firepower in their army, others an obscene amount of close combat ability. For me, it's all about the movement

Thoughts? I'm not so crazy about the Autarch (but there aren't really any other decent non-special character options for this type of army) or the Dire Avengers (would prefer pathfinders for troops, but they're just too pricy for such a small army).

Last edited by scarletsquig; January 1st, 2007 at 22:57. Reason: forget to add in swooping hawk exarch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

If you want movement ditch the avengers for jetbikes.

Also I'd swap the scorps for more dragons. With target denial you aren't going to want to get stuck in. Instead focus on using the falcons to ensure the dragons can shoot and NOT get assaulted in return.

The autarch feels like a placeholder. Maybe swap him for a jetbiking farseer.

You can get extra points by thinning up the falcons a little or dropping the hawks, who aren't much without their exarc anyway. At least not against MEQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    If you want movement ditch the avengers for jetbikes.
    Could do, but I don't feel like paying for and converting the 13 year-old jetbike models to look decent. This army is all about the new. Plus, I've played with them quite a bit, and still don't like the short range much... but I'll consider it. The DA squads are the cheapest way to fill those slots for the moment, plus the figures are all new and gorgeous!

Also I'd swap the scorps for more dragons. With target denial you aren't going to want to get stuck in. Instead focus on using the falcons to ensure the dragons can shoot and NOT get assaulted in return.
    Good point. This is again, another case of me including a unit because I love the new figures. Plus, I generally write off fire dragons as a suicide unit, and the fire dragon option is pretty common so I'd rather not take 2 of them.

Target denial mostly refers to enemy shooting anyway, which slaughters eldar infantry with ease. I have no problem with a tooled-up durable aspect warrior squad getting stuck in, especially if I've picked a target that they're fully capable of pulverising.

The autarch feels like a placeholder. Maybe swap him for a jetbiking farseer.
    Perfect! I really did hate having that autarch in there, and I think my conversion skills should be able to handle a simple jetbike farseer as long as I don't attempt to give him robes.

Only thing is what powers to give him? I'm thinking of a couple of uses:

1. Eldritch storm: No LOS required, and total fun against armies that like to park their vehicle's arses against the table edge. Seems like a lot of points for a simple "nuisance unit" though.

2. Doom: If I went with this, I'd most likely swap out the scorpions for banshees, just so he's got something other than swooping hawks and avengers to help out.

You can get extra points by thinning up the falcons a little or dropping the hawks, who aren't much without their exarc anyway. At least not against MEQ.
    Oops, forget to mention the exarch on the list, despite paying the points for him. Hawks are staying! I love using the unit, even against MEQ - there's always something with an armour value that needs screwing up. I think it could do with being a bit bigger, though - the exarch is so damn expensive that he needs a bigger squad to justify the points spent on him /:

The tooled up falcons I love.. sure they've got loads of upgrades, but they're so good they seem almost mandatory... holofield, vectored engines and spirit stones... I guess I could downgrade from starcannons to twin shuriken cannons and drop the star engines on the fire dragon falcon.

Thanks for the input anyway, I'll have a think and maybe post a updated version sometime.
    This is going to be deciding my immediate purchases and painting/ modelling effort so I'd like to be sure about the list before getting started.
    Last edited by scarletsquig; January 2nd, 2007 at 00:06.

+ Reply to Thread