2000 points. Tau-bashing in mind - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points. Tau-bashing in mind

O.K, having (finally) assembled and painted up the majority of my shiny new Eldar christmas prezzies, I'm preparing myself for my first big game with them tomorrow, against my mates' Tau. Brainstormed this little number, any suggestions as o how it could be improved?

HQ:

Autarch with Warp Jump Generator, Scorpion Chainsword, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters = 120

Farseer with Guide, Doom, Spirit Stones = 120

Elites:

10 Striking Scorpions with Exarch, has chainsabres, Stalker and Shadowstrike = 202

10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Mirrorswords and War Shout = 187
    mounted in Wave Serpant with twin-linked Bright Lances = 135

6 Fire Dragons with Exarch, has Firepike = 116

Troops: 7 Pathfinders = 168

15 Guardians with scatter laser platform, 1 Warlock with Conceal = 175

10 Dire Avengers with Exarch, has Bladestorm, two Shuriken catapults = 152

Fast Attack:

6 Warp Spiders with Exarch, has dual Death Spinners = 149

Vyper with holo-fields, starcannon and spirit stone = 90

Vyper with holo-fields, scatter laser and spirit stones = 80

Heavy Support:

Falcon with scatter laser, holo-fields, spirit stones = 175

Wraithlord with Bright Lance, Starcannon = 160

3 War Walkers with 2 Starcannons each = 240

TOTAL:
    2004 pts

"You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Don't put holo-fields on your vypers. They're cheap and expendable, and pretty much everything in the Tau army is capable of ripping them to pieces. Instead put vectored engines and spirit stones on your wave serpent - That way they can hurtle across the table, allow the tank to take some flak, and in most cases the banshees will still be able to assault next turn.

Vypers should be cheap and expendable.

I'm wary of war walkers, too. If you can replace them with a tank, do. AV10 is an easy 240vps for your opponent.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. Revised list:

HQ:

Autarch with Warp Jump Generator, Scorpion Chainsword, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters = 120

Elites:

10 Striking Scorpions with Exarch, has chainsabres, Stalker and Shadowstrike = 202

mounted in Wave Serpant with twin-linked Bright Lances, vectored engines = 155

Fast Attack:

Vyper with starcannon = 70

Vyper with scatter laser = 60

Heavy Support:

Falcon with scatter laser, holo-fields, spirit stones, vectored engines = 195

3 Shadow Weaver Support Platforms = 90

TOTAL:

Shadow Weavers are a bit of a gamble, I know, but with luck my opponent will ignore them and they'll be able to tear his Fire Warriors and Kroot to pieces from a nice long distance
    "You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you fielding that Autarch? I like the list, its good, but this guy is like 120pts for a fusion gun shot? and maybe a few weak attacks in combat. I would drop him and boost you spider squad.

The only other things that stand out a bit are the vypers, if your gona use them use dual shuri cannons, if you don't have to use them spend the points on sumin else, more avengers perhaps.

I'm not a fan of pathfinders but thats just my opinion. Again, if it were me, more avengers.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I field the Autarch because he's cool, no other real reason. Plus his mobility combined the fusion gun makes him great for battlesuit hunting. The Vypers allow me some nice mobile platforms for taking down both battlesuits (starcannon vyper) and Fire Warriors (Scatter Laser Vyper). I'm not a huge fan of Pathfinders either, they're just there to fill up my points allotment, plus socuting makes them good for taking out Fire warrior squads and battlesuits (see a theme here?) early on and surviving
    -Moltar

-Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Librarian View Post
    Hmmm. Revised list:

HQ:

Yes, realise what you are going to do with him and against one suite he may be effective, but frankly 5 spiders without an exarch would be just as effective and more resiliant if you got a free slot
    Pretty standard -fine
    Elites:

Cool, would prefer either biting blade or claw on the exarch to more readily deal with the chance the squad gets tied up with a suit
    mounted in Wave Serpant with twin-linked Bright Lances, vectored engines = 155
    would prefer executioner on the exarch for the same reason as the scorps
    you also need spirit stones on the serpent - a must really
    lord no, dont like for reasons well documented elsewhere

Depends on the Tau list, if he is fire warrior heavy then you will get outgunned and shot to shreds, if he is mechanised you will still have problems, if he is suit heavy then fine
    Fast Attack:

Fine, another squad like this without the exarch could replace the autarch points wise and be pretty damn effective
    Vyper with starcannon = 70

Vyper with scatter laser = 60
    You are not going to outrange him, the star cannon has few shots, I would rather replace both vyper weapon fits with 2x shuriken cannons, this puts down twice as many shots and it 10 points cheaper
    Heavy Support:

Falcon with scatter laser, holo-fields, spirit stones, vectored engines = 195
    Fine - fantastic, but for gods sakes keep the dragons out of it
    OK ish, not a big fan of 2 heavy weapons on WLs and particularly not mixed types
    3 Shadow Weaver Support Platforms = 90
    Nice if he has some big fire warrior squads on foot
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Hey Cheredanine since you don't like dragons in a falcon I'm just wondering how you use them? 10 in a wave serpent? how does that work out as I'm considering using it.

And since I probably should contribute to the thread mandiblasters doesn't go so well with the chainsword. I guess if you expect him to get in cc against kroot but even then the rest of the scorpions will just dominate them anyway.

The dragon exarch isn't necessary either.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    The dragon exarch isn't necessary either.
    Quite right, it has been well estabilished that the Fire Dragon Exarch is utterly naff and completely useless (with the exception of wanting to have a little fun with Dragons Breath)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. I can see the point about the FD exarch, but since I have points to spare I may as well throw him in anyways, seeing as he's SUCH an awesome mini.
    -Moltar

-Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    Hey Cheredanine since you don't like dragons in a falcon I'm just wondering how you use them? 10 in a wave serpent? how does that work out as I'm considering using it.
    Just posted on your other thread, after years of using 5 falcons plus exarch in a falcon I got fed up with them taking out 4 or so MEQs or a tank and then getting swamped plus the falcon was getting shot up a lot and tended to lose a turn of shooting, either through movement or stunned/shaken results

So I stopped using them and gave them away, I did try a big squad in a serpent a couple of times, but it about coincided with my starting Siam Hann, so my Ulthwe stuff got neglected as I focused on bikes, bikes and more bikes
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread