Eldar 1850, Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar 1850, Friendly

This is my first try at a 1850 Point List. It is based on some of the Eldar's more stealthy units. I will REP for good advice. Thanks.

HQ:
    Autarch: 120
    Warp Jump Generator; Mandiblasters; Power Weapon; Death Spinner
    Farseer: 130
    Spirit Stones; Doom; Fortune

Elites:
    Striking Scorpions: 212
    10 Scorpions
    Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw; Stalker; Shadowstrike
    Striking Scorpions: 192
    10 Scorpions
    Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw; Stalker
    Fire Dragons: 108
    6 Fire Dragons
    Exarch

Troops:
    Pathfinders: 120
    5 Pathfinders
    5 Pathfinders
    Storm Guardians: 132
    10 Storm Guardians
    2 Flamers
    Warlock w/ Enhance

Fast Attack:
    Warp Spiders: 218
    8 Warp Spiders
    Exarch w/ Additional Death Spinner; Powerblades; Withdraw
    Swooping Hawks: 173
    6 Swooping Hawks
    Exarch w/ Sunrifle; Skyleap; Intercept

Heavy Support:
    Wraithlord: 140
    Flamer; Flamer; Wraithsword; Bright Lance
    Falcon: 185
    Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon Up-Grade; Holo-fields; Spirit Stones

Total: 1850

Tactics: The Pathfinders will provide long-range support and try to pin enemy units while picking off models. The Fire Dragons will ride in the Falcon and try to destroy any of the enemy's heavy vehicles that they can. The Farseer will join the squad of non-infiltrating Striking Scorpions and will Fortune them while Dooming enemy units. The non-infiltrating Striking Scorpions will be supported by the Storm Guardians and the Wraithlord. The Autarch will join the Warp Spiders and they will support the infiltrating Striking Scorpions. The Swooping Hawks will harass the enemy and try to destroy any vehicles that the Fire Dragons and Wraithlord fail to destroy.

Models:
    Infantry: 48
    Jump-Infantry: 15
    Monstous Creatures: 1
    Medium Vehicles: 1

"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Hmmmm For friendly play I rather like it.

The autarch in the spiders works, but it's kind of awkward. You have to keep the autarch with the unit or risk having him die in a second jump, and it means you can't deep strike the unit. But it could be fun as you at least have a moderate assault ability and you could toss the fortune on them until the scorps get in charge range. Just be VERY careful who you wind up in base to base with. A single chaplian with a power first should be able to survive all the attacks that unit can dish out and then he can crush the autach with his power fist. Really just keep away from anything resembling a power fist until you're sure you'll take them out on the carge.

Oh and be sure you use the rule where if you wound more models than the unit has you can pick one to make the save. That could be huge for that unit, as you'll probably get to use it very frequently indeed.

Also I'm nervous about farseers with the spirit stones. It's a 130pt model that has two chances to self destruct every turn. He'll survive most games, but every so often......

Anyway my general feeling is that it'll be a fun army to play as there will be a lot of finesse in using it right and it should be fun to play against as well. However I think it doesn't have enough anti MEQ to do well against beardy MEQ lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Anyway my general feeling is that it'll be a fun army to play as there will be a lot of finesse in using it right and it should be fun to play against as well. However I think it doesn't have enough anti MEQ to do well against beardy MEQ lists.
    Agreed. In the 2000 point variant, I added a Squadron of 2 Warwalkers with 2 Starcannons each. That help with the anti-MEQ.

However, I do agree, this list does feel pretty low on anti-MEQ power. I was banking on the mass Scorpion attacks, the 2 powerfists, the mass Death Spinner shots, and the 10 power weapon attacks by the Autarch and Warp Spider Exarch to be enough to beat most MEQ armies.

Afterall, if you make a unit take enough armor saves, it will eventually fail.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion_062 View Post

Afterall, if you make a unit take enough armor saves, it will eventually fail.
    Get that from the GW website? They say it enough.

While technically true the implication is that you need not bother so much with armor bypassing weaponry.

Back in the old codex that was a pack of lies. With the starcannon and some of our other options my (and other) eldar players philosophy was "And they shall know no armor saves" and it worked well.

While we can't do that now we do have options.

Shining spears
    Fire dragons
    Wraithlords
    dual prisms
    banshees
    harlequins
    (kinda scorpeons)

In a more pertinent scense don't rely too much on those 10 power weapon attacks. That's one or no wounds on a chaplian most of the time. That's right, about a sixth of the time he'll soak all that up and laught while the powerfist wipes the autarch off the map.

Against regular marines that'll still kill only two of them. The other attacks of the whole squad maybe getting another.

So if you plow that unit into a full squad of assault mariens with a powerfist seargent you are in trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan on using them in combination with the infiltrating Scorpions. The Warp Spiders won't charge unless the Scorpions are in range too. This will force the enemy to divide the squad's attacks.

The Warp Spiders will soften up the target with Death Spinners (the high strength comes in handy) and then charge the unit along with the Scorpions.

I don't plan on purposely engaging any enemy HQs in CC with my Warp Spiders. They aren't designed to handle that.

I just hope I can find a way to make it work. The Starcannon just isn't worth its points anymore.

Do you have any suggestions on additions that I could include to improve my anti-MEQ power? I'm trying to keep with an overall stealth feel, so I want to steer away from Shining Spears and the Avatar. And I'd also like to steer away from the Banshees and Harlies because the Scorpions just feel more fluffy. That doesn't leave much to work with though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Hmmm hard to keep with the fluff and up the anti meq.

Actually in your case I'd be tempted to try and get Karandas into the list. He's sneaky and has a reasonable chance of landing a first turn charge. Maybe infiltrate the other unit of scorps and drop some of the foot slogging elements.

The fluff could be a bunch of bad mothers going ahead scouting and then calling in rapid support as they launch their attack.

It could be something like:

HQ
    Karandas
    Autarch fusion gun, mandiblasers, power sword (in falcon #2)

Elites
    Infil scorps
    infil scorps
    dragons (in falcon)

Troops
    Pathfinders (their job is pinning low ld troops but primarily dropping monstrous creatures)
    Pathfinders
    5 DA (with autarch in falcon)

Fast attack
    spiders and/or Hawks either way they deep strike, autarch will help get them down fast.

Heavy
    2x solid falcons (consider star engines so your whole army can be acting together on turn 2)

On set up you only put down the two falcons hidden behind cover and then tell your opponent to go ahead and set up the rest of their army. Since falcons can more 24 or up to 36 inches a turn you really haven't given anything about your battle plan away (except that you're going to be infiltrating and/or deep striking!)

When you set up try and get in good positions with the scorps, probably heavily on one flank so they don't have to deal with your opponents forces all at once.

If possible try and get a first turn charge with Karandas against a unit without power weapons, he'll do great on his own.

Once the battle forms up you should get the falcons over to the action. They can tank shock and shove infantry around in all kinds of crazy ways (master the tank shock rules). The spiders and hawks can then actually use the combats to block line of sight. They can jump over, shoot, and jump back.

It's still a "friendly" list and I think it would be fun for writing fluff as opponents will go from just stroling in the woods to suddenly being swarmed by scorps leaping out of the shrubs, hawks barreling out of the sky, spiders shifting out of the immaterium and the powerful engines of the falcon reving and getting troops in before they even realized they were aproaching.

In game turns it'll be interesting to see how your opponent reacts to you having your entire force in a corner of their deployment zone on turn 2.

*Edit: Don't forget to get the most out of your pathfinders. While usually they're for shooting and sitting around consider this. Turn one, karandas and pathfinders form up together in cover 12" from the enemy. They both move their max distance and fleet, pathfinders might charge in too depending on fleet results. Karandas definitly charges a unit. But, as you suspected, he wipes the unit he charged out and is now staring down a bunch of guns! Oh Noes! However since the pathfinders are there he is either part of the group (and they have great cover saves), or he is now behind them and is untargetable. (again the parthfinders will be counting on their cover saves to survive return fire).

Karandas and any other striking scorpeons in range will have a word with any unit foolish enough to move forward to rapid fire the rangers. And you'll be surprised how often opponents suffer from that lack of judgement when they see a chance for rapid fireing.
    Last edited by sunnyside; January 3rd, 2007 at 20:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. I was intrigued by that idea. Here's what I came up with. How does it look?

HQ:
    Karandras: (Can't Post Specific Points)
    Autarch: 120
    Warp Jump Generator; Mandiblasters; Power Weapon; Death Spinner

Elites:
    Striking Scorpions: 212
    10 Scorpions
    Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw; Stalker; Shadowstrike
    Striking Scorpions: 187
    10 Scorpions
    Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw
    Fire Dragons: 108
    6 Fire Dragons
    Exarch

Troops:
    5 Pathfinders
    5 Pathfinders

Fast Attack:
    Warp Spiders: 228
    8 Warp Spiders
    Exarch w/ Additional Death Spinner; Powerblades; Surprise Assault; Withdraw
    Swooping Hawks: 215
    8 Swooping Hawks
    Exarch w/ Sunrifle; Skyleap; Intercept

Heavy Support:
    War Walker Squadron: 140
    2 War Walkers

2 Star Cannons
    2 Scatter Lasers
    Falcon: 185
    Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon Up-Grade; Holo-fields; Spirit Stones

Total: 1850

Tactics: Scorpions infiltrate as close to the enemy as possible (Karandras accompanies the 187 points squad). The Pathfinders infiltrate into good sniping positions. The Fire Dragons deploy inside of the Falcon. The War Walkers deploy in an area with good fire lanes. The Autarch will wait in reserve as part of the Warp Spider unit (is that legal). The Swooping Hawks will wait in reserve.

Basically, I have 2 units that deploy normally and 1 of those benefits from the Scouts special move (War Walkers). The other units all infiltrate or deep strike. Hopefully, by the 2nd or 3rd turn, almost my whole army will be in one corner of my opponent's deployment area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

The answer to your "Is it legal?" Q is no

I am not completely convinced (dont have codex with me) that adding Khadros to a squad without infiltrate gives the squad infiltrate, the point of Khadros having the skill is if you add a charactyer without it to a squad with it, the squad looses it, from memory I believe both the exarch and KH need the skill

Not a big fan of fire dragons in a falcon, equally not sure they, or the falcon fit your fluff and certainly cant see the point of the FD Exarch
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    The answer to your "Is it legal?" Q is no

I am not completely convinced (dont have codex with me) that adding Khadros to a squad without infiltrate gives the squad infiltrate, the point of Khadros having the skill is if you add a charactyer without it to a squad with it, the squad looses it, from memory I believe both the exarch and KH need the skill

Not a big fan of fire dragons in a falcon, equally not sure they, or the falcon fit your fluff and certainly cant see the point of the FD Exarch
    Okay, I wasn't sure.

There is a special note in the Phoenix Lord rules under "Desciples" that says that the effects of 2 Exarch powers on a unit are not accumulative. This leads me to believe that the power is confered to the Phoenix Lord's unit. Also, the rules for Shadowstrike state, "a unit including a model with this power may..." which also leads me to believe that it affects the whole squad, Phoenix Lord or Exarch.

I actually kind of agree about the Fire Dragons. The problem is, I feel like I am lacking in anti-tank power. What other anti-tank units would you suggest that could replace the Falcon and Fire Dragons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion_062 View Post
    Okay, I wasn't sure.

There is a special note in the Phoenix Lord rules under "Desciples" that says that the effects of 2 Exarch powers on a unit are not accumulative. This leads me to believe that the power is confered to the Phoenix Lord's unit. Also, the rules for Shadowstrike state, "a unit including a model with this power may..." which also leads me to believe that it affects the whole squad, Phoenix Lord or Exarch.
    No, the point of the first bit is that some powers used by the exarch would be lost if even a pheonix lord joined them unless the pheonix lord also has the Universal special rule, however, powers like tank hunter or blade storm can not be stacked.

the point of the second bit is about exarch powers increasing the capability of the unit
    I actually kind of agree about the Fire Dragons. The problem is, I feel like I am lacking in anti-tank power. What other anti-tank units would you suggest that could replace the Falcon and Fire Dragons?
    Depends what you are trying to kill, the falcon is a very capable killer of light armour, but for heavy armour (land raiders and the like) then Bright lances on high BS (Wraithlords) or multiple shot or twin linked (serpents or war walkers) is the way to go.

Closer up singing spears can be lethal
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast