1500 noob tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1500 noob tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 noob tau

this is very noobey i didnt put it together for stratigy i just threw it together with the models i have.

HQ
    Ethereal 2 Shield Drone Pts 80
    Elite
    Crisis X 2 + Burst + 3 Plasma Rifle + 2 Shield Pts 158
    Crisis X 2 + Flame + Fusion + Multi-tracker + Shield + 2 Plasma Pts 131
    5 Stealth Pts 150
    €lite points - 431
    Troop
    8 Fire Warrior - 80
    8 Fire Warrior - 80
    10 Kroot + Shaper
    2 Hounds
    2 Krootox
    ~173
    Fast
    4 Path finders 3 Rail 158
    Gun Drone team 8 Pts 96
    Heavy
    HH Rail gun, Gun Drones 160
    Broadside Multi-Tracker 75
    Sniper Drones 80
    My only consern is that i only got 1 ML

Last edited by Grey Knight Newbie; January 9th, 2007 at 22:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tau commanders are 1+ so you need one of those...
    "To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and discipline shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us."

- Commander Shadowsun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok my edited list please comment

1500 (1501)
    HQ 183
    Shas’el Plasma, Burst, Plasma, Shield, Multi-tracker 103
    Elite 326
    Crisis X 1 + 2 Plasma Rifle + Multi-Tracker 70
    Crisis X 2 + Flame + Fusion + 2 Multi-tracker 2 Plasma Pts 106
    5 Stealth Pts 150
    Troop 348
    8 Fire Warrior, Target lock 85
    10 Kroot + Shaper
    2 Hounds
    2 Krootox ~173
    Fast 254
    4 Path finders 3 Rail 158 (fish)
    Gun Drone team 8 Pts 96
    Heavy 390
    Sniper Drones 80

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Get rid of the Ethereal and the gun drone squads. What is the point of this list?
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Also for your crisis suits I would recommend for the hard points running a plasma rifle, missile pod, and a target array to up the ballistic skill. Drop the stealth suits. I thnk they are a waste of points this is just my opinion. 10 Kroot are useless if you are going to run a squad run a squad of 20.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by churchic View Post
    Also for your crisis suits I would recommend for the hard points running a plasma rifle, missile pod, and a target array to up the ballistic skill. Drop the stealth suits. I thnk they are a waste of points this is just my opinion. 10 Kroot are useless if you are going to run a squad run a squad of 20.
    Churchic please stop do you call this advice dude.
    Stealths are not useless they are vey effective and are one of the best support units in the Tau list, dont rely on the stealth field, use the jump shoot jump manouver and cover and they are very tough to take down and provide a significant amount of mobile firepower, they are brilliant skirmish/nuisance units.
    If your going to slag a unit down please provide reasons why.

10 Kroot are far from useless in fact with the new rules the unit size is better at 10 with some hound support, 20 Kroot have real problems finding cover and the only real use they have is as a pill box unit, stuck near cover to provide counter assault, with Kroot hounds the Kroot become a much more viable flexible unit.
    Also 10 Kroot are much easier to infiltrate and this is the best use for Kroot without hounds, infiltrating to push back the deployment of the opponent or to prevent infiltrators getting to the Tau lines easily, again stop making comments without reasons or back up points.

Anyway to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight Newbie
    1500 (1501)
    HQ 183
    Shas’el Plasma, Burst, Plasma, Shield, Multi-tracker 103
    I would lose the ethereal, if your a newcomer to Tau you will make mistakes with it and the cost of losing an ethereal can be a disaster, your wastting 80 pts.
    Also the Shas'El is not very good, you should never have burst cannons on a commander its just a waste, the Shas is your most valuable resource, give him Plasma, fusion or missile pod (if your a noob got for MP), targeting array and HW multi, this is quite simply the best configuration for the pts (97).
    Problem with your suit is your taking twin linked plasma but you already have BS4 anyway and the BC's are not matched in range. strength or AP, with MP and plasma with TA you have a possible 4 shots at BS5 with decent strength, good comparable range and good AP.

I would advise you take two Shas'El multi fireknifes (until your more experienced and then go for helios multi), use the superior BS to take down tough units and the range to stay safe

Elite 326
    Crisis X 1 + 2 Plasma Rifle + Multi-Tracker 70
    Crisis X 2 + Flame + Fusion + 2 Multi-tracker 2 Plasma Pts 106
    You seem to be trying to cover every angle here and thats a big problem, and your confusing me with the way your describing the layouts.
    As far as I can see you have an XV8 with two plasmas and a multi, why? if you take two plasmas they count as twin linked which means your re roll misses on the to hit roll, a multi tracker lets you fire two seperate and different weapons per turn, it does not allow you to fire two plasmas as seperate weapons.
    You seem to have done the same thing in the second team and to make it even worse you have coupled a flamer with a fusion, again why? the fusion is anti armour and the flamer is useless what are you going to target with a flamer and a fusion in one turn.
    Lets re-think this a bit.
    What you need is some hard hitting support and your a newcomer, so lets forget Helios (PL/FU/Multi).
    This leaves us witha few options, for you I would advise a fireknife multi team leader with targeting array (PL/FU/TAL and HW MUL) this will give you 3 to 4 shots a turn at BS4 with good strength, stay at range 24" let fly with 3 lethal shots and then jump back to 30" in cover if possible, this will be a very powerful and useful unit for you at 77pts
    Second slot is taken by two Deathrain XV8's (twin linked MP, TA), make one of them a team leader and give him HW target lock, you will have two suits with missile pods that hit on 3+ and re-roll misses, but the unit can shoot two seperate targets if needed, a bargain at 111pts.
    Now this is 188pts so you will need to find a few extra points bare with me all will be revealed.

5 Stealth Pts 150
    Absolutley fine keep these
    Troop 348

10 Kroot + Shaper
    2 Hounds
    2 Krootox ~173
    Now you have to decide what you want your Kroot to do, do you want them as a static fire power team with the Krootox, if so lose the hounds and shaper and take more Kroot as they will provide more firepower and will provide more wounds to get through before the Krootox have to be taking wounds (after all the Krootox are your strength here).

Do you want them to be an infiltrating counter assault unit, if so lose the Krootox (cannot infiltrate) lose the shaper (useless) and use the 91 points saved to take two 10 man squads
    for 140pts total.

The fire warriors, you cant take target locks without a shas'Ui and you have not paid for one, and why on earth are you taking it anyway, all it means is the Shas'Ui can fire his 1 rifle shot at a different unit, utterly pointless, lose the TL's and use the points to equip the XV8's as I advised
    [QUOTE=Grey Knight Newbie]Fast 254
    4 Path finders 3 Rail 158 (fish)

4 pathfinders are an utter waste of points your paying 158 points for 3 mid range shots and a ML, these will all miss 50% of the time so your looking at 12 shots if your lucky PER GAME thats a shocking 13.5pts per shot and the one ML will be prety much useless.
    I know the Devilfish has a BC but even so its still a shocking waste of points, I would advise you lose the gun drone unit and take a full 8 man squad of pathfinders with no rail rifles, the marker lights are going to be much more useful to your list by providing improved BS for other units an 8 man rapid firing FW team hitting on 2+ (16 shots) and wounding on 3+ is going to be better than maybe 2 rail rifle hits, you can also guide the HH and broadsides with them.
    I would also give the DF SMS, multi, DL and TA, drop of the PF unit near cover (or use thier scout move) and then use the DF as another tank.
    The above will cost you 96 pts for the PF and 120 for the DF thats 216 pts for a unit that will do much much more than your fast attack as it stands, I love drone squads but they wont help you here.

Heavy 390
    Sniper Drones 80
    Bit of a mixed bag, I am guessing these are the models you have available, if so then lose the multi on the XV88,s and give them ASS, make one a team leader and give him a HW TL, this means you will have two mobile XV88's with the ability to target two seperate units a turn.
    Now your HH, you must give this a multi tracker and decoy launcers, it is the law on pain of death, the HH works best when kept fully mobile, the multi allows it to fire when moving and the skimmer rule means it is hard to destroy, made even more so by the decoys.
    Snipers mmm ok they are actually a tough unit, pity you only have one team, but OK

Now this gives you

HQ
    2 Shas'El fireknife multis with TA 194pts

Elite
    1 XV8 team leader fireknife multi with TA 77pts
    2 XV8 deathrains TL MP, TA and team leader with HW target lock 111pts

5 Stealths at 150pts

Troops
    2 x 10 Kroot 140pts
    Or 10 Kroot with 2 Krootox 140pts
    you decide which

2 x 8 Fire warriors 160pts

Fast attack
    8 pathfinders 96pts
    with
    1 Devilfish, SMS, TA, Multi and DL 120pts

Heavy
    1 Hammerhead with RG,BC,Multi and DL 165pts
    2 XV88's with RG and ASS (1 TL with HW TL) 150pts
    3Sniper team 80pts

This totals out at 1443 so this leaves 57 points I would advise bulking the FW squads up to 10 strong this leaves 17points so I would give one of the Shas'els stim injectors (1493).

All this will give you a quite hard hitting list, you have 5 XV8's 2 hitting on 2+, 2 on 3+ with re rolls and the other hitting on 3+, very powerful.
    You have 5 stealths, 2 respectable FW squads with either 2 units of 10 Kroot or some heavy firepower from the Krootox unit (just make sure these are in cover), 2 Broadsides hitting two untis a turn, a Hammerhead and snipers and the pathfinders to help improve hit rates etc and a DF tank to piss your opponent of with.
    All in all a much better list and one I think follows your available models.

Hope this helps you out and a least gives you some ideas, enjoy Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Now I'm going to back up my comments. A Stealth Suit is a fairly expensive model at 30 points a piece and at BS3. Yes you can upgrade this with a battlesuit option but then you have to do it with every stealth suit thus making them more expensive. Their weapon is primarily a burst cannon 18 in range. Depending on what army you are playing you are in assault range and you will be in rapid fire range. You play against a sisters of battle unit that is rapid firing you can kiss that unit good bye. You play against an army that can take special weapons ie. plasma rifles, melta guns there goes at least 2 and that's not counting the failed armor saves. In a maxed out unit size you only have to kill 4 to get it below scoring and they don't make you take target priority tests. Plus you can only do the move shoot move ability for so long before something gets there and that's negating deepstrike etc. Now for the Kroot. I am going to agree with the previous post that a bigger unit is harder to hide however a unit of 10 is so easy to wipe off the board. You throw in 10 more Kroot there's 10 more shots 20 if you are rapid firing. Now their armor save they either have a 6 or none at all. Virtually every weapon in the game ignores a save this low. And I believe that you throw 10 more kroot in there you can try to overcome that weakness with sheer numbers. I've done it before and it works because 90% of the time people look at Kroot and laugh even when it is a 20 man unit. They tend to ignore them because the Tau have much more powerful units.
    Last edited by churchic; January 10th, 2007 at 23:44.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thnx alot rikimu great advice =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their weapon is primarily a burst cannon 18 in range. Depending on what rmy you are playing you are in assault range
    Rofl? what has 18 inch assault? also you can move up 6" movement phase then shoot 18" then retreat 6" in assualt basicly giving it a 24" range.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Now I'm going to back up my comments. A Stealth Suit is a fairly expensive model at 30 points a piece and at BS3. Yes you can upgrade this with a battlesuit option but then you have to do it with every stealth suit thus making them more expensive. Their weapon is primarily a burst cannon 18 in range. Depending on what army you are playing you are in assault range and you will be in rapid fire range. You play against a sisters of battle unit that is rapid firing you can kiss that unit good bye. You play against an army that can take special weapons ie. plasma rifles, melta guns there goes at least 2 and that's not counting the failed armor saves. In a maxed out unit size you only have to kill 4 to get it below scoring and they don't make you take target priority tests. Plus you can only do the move shoot move ability for so long before something gets there and that's negating deepstrike etc. Now for the Kroot. I am going to agree with the previous post that a bigger unit is harder to hide however a unit of 10 is so easy to wipe off the board. You throw in 10 more Kroot there's 10 more shots 20 if you are rapid firing. Now their armor save they either have a 6 or none at all. Virtually every weapon in the game ignores a save this low. And I believe that you throw 10 more kroot in there you can try to overcome that weakness with sheer numbers. I've done it before and it works because 90% of the time people look at Kroot and laugh even when it is a 20 man unit. They tend to ignore them because the Tau have much more powerful units.
    The 18" range of the weapon is not a problem, because you have a move in the assault phase which puts you out to 24" , there are only a few units that can cover that much distance to assault and even if they have a fleet move they have to roll a 5 or 6.
    The key to using them is cover, jump over shoot then jump back, terrain test slow units down, never relying on the stealth field and intelligent target selection, if a unit is tough and has a high chance of surviving the shooting and then assaulting you, then dont attack them, simple really.
    Also I dont know what game you play dude but rapid fire range is 12" most units have a 6" move that totals 18", the stealths can move back to 24" and they should be behind cover if used corrcectly, even if they arent they have the stealth field and a 3+ armour save
    Target selection is important, infantry at average tgh and average 4+ and higher saves really struggle against 18 BC shots especially if markerlight guided, if you want to run your stealths up to a unit that contains tough models with plasmas etc then you deserve to lose the stealths.
    And all the reasons you mentioned apply to EVERY unit, every unit can be caught, every unit is susceptable to deep strike, every unit fails saves against plasma and so on and so on, thats realy just a good exercise in stating the obvious dude, the stealths happen to have advantages that make them much harder to kill IF you play them corrctly.
    I used to think Stealths were poor but a few others convinced me otherwise (Oni being one of them) and I rethought my opinion and tactics and now I usually include one maxed standard squad.

The Kroot lack of armour save is a weakness whatever the unit size, and this is just why 10 strong units are so good, it makes it a lot easier to utilise cover and therefore makes it a lot easier to infitrate them, and your point about ignoring the Kroot is just silly, if players ignore your big Kroot squad surely a smaller unit is even less threatning so will be ignored more.
    Think about it, "oh look two units of Kroot, that 20 strong unit is obviously so much more threatning than that 10 strong unit, I know I will shoot the 10 man squad" anyway enough of sarcasm.
    The point is two 10 man squads can do twice the work, they can push forwads on two flanks and can utilise cover better, they can prevent two or more units from deploying close and they can stop two units or tie them up.
    20 strong units are good for one thing pill boxing, i used to use 20 strong squads as FW support because pre new codex thats all they were good for, but new codex with the hounds and new rules (no eat the dead) they are decent assault and decent shooting/infiltrating units. A squad of 10 Kroot and 6 to 8 hounds can stand up well and even beat more than a few units in assault, Kroot and Stealths do not suck and for that matter niether do drone squads (your other post)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast