1500 points my first tau list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 points my first tau list

all right im thinkin about startign tau and here's the list im going to try to make any help or anything before i go out and buy it all would be great. i already have the codex now i just need to buy the models.

shas'el with TA, missle pod,PR,hard wired MTstim injector =107

shas'el with TA,missle pod,PR,hard wired MT=97

elites

2 crisis suits with TA PR MP team leader with hard wired MT=144

6 stealth suits=180

troops

10 fire warriors with shas'ui in DF with MT TA DL=230

14 kroot 1 kroot shaper with shaper upgrade and 5 hounds=176

fast attack

x8 pathfinder squad devilfish with SMS MT TA DL=216

heavy suport

railhead with SMS MT DL =175

total=1500

total model count=51

this is my first tau list so any help is nice but go easy i do have experience with CSM so im not a complete noob.

Last edited by Chaosgod; January 19th, 2007 at 08:27.
    It doesn't think, it doesn't feel,
    It doesn't laugh or cry.
    All it does, from dusk 'till dawn,
    Is make the soldiers die.

Commander Cyrus's Black Legion. W1/D0/L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Ok here is the best advice that I can give ya. Your Shas'el is illegal you can only run 3 hard point options and you have 4 with the Target Array, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, and Multi Tracker but this is a simple fix change the Multi Tracker to a Hard Wired Multi Tracker and the problem is solved. Also with the Stim Injectors I have found that they don't really work that well at all. All it really does is protect you from small arms fire and you should be out of range from that with the JSJ (jump shoot jump) tactic so I would get rid of it.

As for your crisis suits I love the set up however I would run them in a team of 2 and designate one a team leader for +5 points and give him a Hard Wired Multi Tracker. This way you can fire up to 6 shots from 2 models with a mixture of strength 7 AP4 or Strength 6 AP2 depending on what you needed at the moment. As for the 3rd Crisis Suit that you will have left over I would run another Shas'el (HQ) with the exact same setup as I suggested.

The Stealth Suits have a Multi Tracker on them and they don't need it you only have one weapon so that is a useless upgrade and I would drop the Fusion Blaster and stick with 4 Burst Cannons. With doing this you're getting 12 shots at 18" rather then 9 shots and I have always found that a unit works better when you tool them to do one specific task ie. tank hunting or troop killing. And as for the team leader upgrade I would get rid of it as well. If I was going to run them I would run them in a unit of 6 with the Targeting Array battlesuit option it makes them a 240 point unit for 6 guys but that's a lot of firepower. From what everybody has said the Stealth Suits do better with virtually no upgrades whatsoever. I'm not a big fan of the Stealth Suits because I play a purely Mech Tau list with 11 skimmers in it and the unit doesn't fit in with my army but almost everyone else seems to love them.

Since you only have one unit of Fire Warriors I would run them in a group of 10 instead of 9 because your opponent would need to kill 6 instead of 5 to get the VP for them.

Your Kroot unit has it's ups and downs. As for the downs they have no armor save are a small unit and will die extremely easy etc. For the ups they are an easier unit to hide for infiltrate. It's really up to you what you would like to do with these. When I played with Kroot I would run a unit of 19 with a Shaper making it a unit total of 20 that way I can "kinda" hide the weakness of no armor save with sheer numbers. But then again it is totally up to you.

The Devilfish for your Fire Warriors needs a lot of upgrades IMO. I love the Warfish Variant which includes a Burst Cannon, SMS, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array, and Decoy Launchers. A Mobile firing platform that fires 7 Strength 5 shots at BS4 that can move 12" and makes you re-roll an immobilised (spelling?) result on the glancing table it's a nice weapon to have. Same thing with your Pathfinder units Devilfish I would give it the exact same upgrades that I suggested above.

Pirahna #1 with the Targeting Array and Fusion Blaster is a great setup for these vehicles so I would run Pirahna #2 the exact same way.

The Hammerheads are a great setup. The only thing I don't like about them is the Seeker Missiles. You only have 8 Markerlights in this army and they are in the Pathfinder unit. Any smart player is going to kill those to make the markerlights useless. I don't know if they work for other people but they have never worked for me. So all in all I would get rid of them but that's just me.

**EDIT** I believe that covers everything and have fun playing Tau.
    Last edited by churchic; January 18th, 2007 at 19:44.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a ton for the help.

i decided to take your ideas into mind upgrading the Dfishes to warfishes and other suggestions so i had to drop the pirahnas but i think it was worth it.

get ready to recieve some rep and any other suffestions for you and or anybody else? i dno't want to go out and buy this stuff and it not be a good list.
    It doesn't laugh or cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I'm going to be as "efficient" as I can with your list. I'm not thinking about fluff or anything, so if you have any of that (want it) some of the advice might seem a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgod View Post
    You have the right idea with this guy, but the Stims are OK, but I never get my use out of them. I'd go with either the BS-5 fireknife combo (TA/MP/PR/HWMT) or BS-5 Helios (TA/PR/FB/HWMT) both for 97 points. I'm starting to love my helios, but it's preference, really.

See above. I tend to keep my commanders the same layout, but different from my elite layouts (which is why I use the helios more and more).

As long as the two crisis are in two seperate teams, they are perfect: BS-4 Fireknife.

6 stealth suits=180
    Nice, and a great help for your overworked firewarriors, as they can pump out a lot of pulse shots. Always keep the teams full.

, You desperately need to get SMS, giving you 7 BS-4 pulse shots, 4 of which don't need LOS. I would drop the leader upgrade (I think you have it), and just run a straight 12-man unit with Warfish (SMS, TA/MT/DL) for 240 pts.

Drop the shaper and the hounds. While some might like the hounds, I've found that a unit of 10 kroot (70 pts total) is just too good to pass up for the points. I don't run them in my competative lists, but when I do use them, they seem to perform quite well as a 10-man squad, the rest is if you have extra points to blow.

At this point level, I would drop them for another unit of firewarriors. They start to earn their points at larger levels, when there are bigger squads to take advantage of their markerlights. As is, you don't have large enough squads to maximize the markerlight potential.

You need to add a Target lock, so you can shoot at two units.
    Ditto.

Just my two cents, hope it helped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I forgot about the Target Lock on the Hammerhead that is a must. The Pirahnas aren't a bad unit but if they have to go they have to go. You should probably make a new list with the suggestions that Y'he Sha'is and myself have made and we can give you some more advice/input. I'll add some rep to your score since you're being a good sport about everything (me virtually ripping your list apart) . Have a good one
    Last edited by churchic; January 19th, 2007 at 16:19.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

all right im thinkin about startign tau and here's the list im going to try to make any help or anything before i go out and buy it all would be great. i already have the codex now i just need to buy the models.

Good solid HQ, glad to see you resisted the fusion blaster as its a bit hard to get right for newer players, stick with this set up until your confident, the stims are more useful on a helios than a fireknife, you should not need them with the extra range of the FK, so I would lose it, I have used pretty much the same set up my self for a long as the new codex has been out and have been mightily pleased (though I do use 1 Helios)

elites

6 stealth suits=180
    Again very nice (have you been checking out my recent advice by any chance) the XV8's though would be better in two Monat (lone wolf) teams, they ever have to take moral tests for casualties or last man standing, and can combine firepower if needed, I would split them up.

Stealths are very nice, resist the urge to give them needless extras they really do not need them, stealths have done very well so far without them, very good I am impressed so far

troops

Now I would go lose the SMS on the hammerheads and make the squad a full 12 squad and give the DF SMS, the DF will actually get more use out of the SMS than the HH (you should never be using the secondary weapons systems on HH if at all possible, so just take burst cannons, you should always be at maximum range and thats well past SMS range, sorry church) the warfish will be able to support you full FW squad nicely and can even zoom of on its own as a separate tank if needed.

Lose the shaper, he is not needed, I would advise taking 3 more hounds, sorry Y'he but hounds are amazing, they do not remove infiltrate, they give the Kroot much more assault ability and they make the Kroot unit a lot more versatile, check out my Kroot tactica here Kroot tactica. - Librarium Online
    14 is a bit of a strange unit size and like churchic says could be hard to hide, I tend to go for minimum size unit of 10 with 8 hounds this offers a good all round unit size, good shooting, easy to hide and damn good in combat and only 118pts.

fast attack

Again very good, drop them in cover and use the warfish as a nuisance tank, good to see you resisted the urge to take railrifles, as far as them not being useful in 1500pts games well to me thats not right, Hammerheads hitting with subs on 2+ are deadly, the FW are deadly in rapid fire range hitting on 2+ with 24 STR5 shots is not to be sniffed at, even the XV8's can benefit, all in all I think you would lose more than you would gain by losing these.

heavy suport

Like I said lose the SMS, you really should always be aiming to never have to be in range to use SMS or BC's, so they are really pretty pointless if you use your HH correctly and this also excludes taking the TL.

total=1500

total model count=51

this is my first tau list so any help is nice but go easy i do have experience with CSM so im not a complete noob.
    Hey its a good solid list, nothing overly wrong with it, just a few little mistakes like the Shaper and the SMS, but all in all a good strong list.

You should have:
    2 Shas'Els fireknives 97pts X 2
    1 Fireknife XV8 team leader with TA 77pts
    1 Fireknife XV8 team leader with TA 77pts
    6 Stealths 180pts
    12 Fire Warriors 120pts
    1 Warfish, SMS,TA,Multi and DL 120pts
    10 Kroot with 8 Hounds 118pts
    1 Pathfinder squad 96pts
    1 Warfish, SMS,TA,Multi and DL 120pts
    2 Hammerheads, BC,Muti, Dl's 165pts X2

Now this totals 1432 pts, so you have 68 pts to play with, now you could:
    (A) take a deathhrain XV8 twin lined MP, TA for a paltry 53 pts, which hits on 3+ with rerolls, so your practically guaranteed 2 STR7 hits a turn. You would need to make the 2 Fireknives into a 2 man squad and use the rest of the points to make one a team leader and give him HW target lock
    ( Lose one hound and take another 10 man strong Kroot squad, this again is very helpful, push back infiltrators, decent firepower and easy to hide.
    I would go for the XV8 Deathrain.

Unfortunately I did not see the unedited list but I think the list above would serve you quite well and gives you a good solid foundation to expand on, I have built on the good work that Churchic and Y'he have provided, so hope you get some good ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aight thanks for the rep here's the updated list...

HQ's

shas'el with TA HWMT PR MP=97

elites

2 crisis suits with TA MP PR team leader with HWMT=139

6 stealth suits=180

1 crisis suit with TWMP TA=53

1 crisis suit team leader with MP FB HWMT=77

troops

12 fire warriors with warfish TA SMS DL MT=240

10 kroot 3 kroot hounds=76

fast attack

8 pathfinders in warfish with TA SMS MT DL=216

heavy suport

railhead with BC MT DL=165

total 1499

total model count=46

so this is my final list unless somebody else has advice.

i decided to take the pathfinders those BS 5 FW stealths and suits are just to hard to pass up.

i also decided to add 1 death rain and 1 helios crisis suits the deathrain sounds like a good idea for cheap and the helios can go tank hunting with any shy tanks that like to stay behind cover.

can't wait to get my stuff and get it assembled and painted all for the greater good hey who knows maybe i'll find a way to fluff them to work with my CSM with the CSM desires in mind.
    Last edited by Chaosgod; January 19th, 2007 at 23:55.
    It doesn't laugh or cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

can't wait to get my stuff and get it assembled and painted all for the greater good hey who knows maybe i'll find a way to fluff them to work with my CSM with the CSM desires in mind.
    I don't see this one happening sorry man. I can just see the Tau trying to turn a Khorne to the greater good hmm.........."Pathfinders taste like chicken".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by churchic View Post
    I don't see this one happening sorry man. I can just see the Tau trying to turn a Khorne to the greater good hmm.........."Pathfinders taste like chicken".
    nah it's more like beef actually ya know the hooves and all....

course i could always just say the commanders possessed or something actually since tau have no warp presence CAN they be possessed?.....

and is my DP evil enough to do it...
    It doesn't laugh or cry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

HQ's

elites

1 crisis suits with TA MP PR team leader with HWMT 77

1 crisis suits with TA MP PR team leader with HWMT 77

6 stealth suits=180

2 X crisis suit 1 with TLMP, TA=53, 1 team leader TLMP, TA, HW TL 63

troops

12 fire warriors, bonded (solely to take up the spare 5 points) with warfish TA SMS DL MT=240

10 kroot 8 kroot hounds=118

fast attack

8 pathfinders in warfish with TA SMS MT DL=216

heavy support

total 1500pts

total model count=54

1 crisis suit with TWMP TA=53

1 crisis suit team leader with MP FB HWMT=77
    Errrm I hope these two XV8's: are a team, if not your list is ilegal, your only allowed 3 elites choices, with the 2 Fireknives, the stealths and these two suits you have 4.
    If it is a team I would go for two Deathrains with a team leader with TL, if it isn't a team I would lose the fireknife and bulk up the Kroot with more hounds because three hounds are next to useless, you need a minimum of 5 preferably 8.
    Quite honestly you can do without the fireknife suit but the Kroot will be much more effective with extra hounds.
    I have edited the list to give you the idea. Also if you want a tank hunter swap one of the Shas'El fire knives for a Helios multi, they are much better at it and if you use the IC status, JSJ and cover properly will be much much harder to stop than a standard XV8 suit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast