1750 tau, could be... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 tau, could be...

hiya fish heads.

im thinkin about startin up tau as a side project while i paint my tedius necron gt list. i like the mobility of tau. i like the special weapons too. are pathfinders worthwile? anyway give me a once over and some idears!

hq
    shas'el
    missile pod plasma rifle multi tracker

shas'el
    missile pod plasma rifle multi tracker

elites
    crisis suit
    plasma rifle fusion gun multi tracker

crisis suit
    plasma rifle fusion gun multi tracker

2 crisis suits
    missile pods plasma rifles multi trackers

troops
    12 firewarriors
    shas'ui upgrade bonding knife
    devilfish decoy launchers

12 firewarriors

10 kroot
    10 kroot hounds

10 kroot
    10 kroot hounds

fast
    8 pathfinders

heavy
    hammerhead
    rail gun decoy launchers smart missile system

hammerhead
    rail gun decoy launchers smart missile system

broadside
    twin plasma rifles shield generator

this looks mean. is this a competitive build? i think the broadside will be worth his points here. if nothing else it should draw some fire when i play a tank or mostourus creature heavy list. i think the kroot are the lynch pin here. sure theyre 260 points, but they run so much dissruption for most list its huge for those first and second turns. i think if i coulda squeezed a piranha in here i could have run a bit more dissruption. i think the pathfinders will be huge so often, has anyone had any succes with a hard wired target lock on thier pathfinder shas'ui?

thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Seems wacky. I don't doubt it would do well because it would draw fire against so many squads. I almost want to say that you should ditch the broadside for something else (paranah?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

First things first...everything I'm going to tell you is purely my personal preference and opinion so don't get discouraged at all, I'm here to help ya. I'm not trying to be mean to you at all I'm just giving you advice. The units you have put into the list have the potentialto be great units however the configuration and wargear selections you have chosen do not make them powerful at all IMO. If my opponent put this list on the table I would smile and giggle like a little school girl because I know I would win by a LANDSLIDE. This list is not at all competetive it's very weak. Sorry to be so harsh but I don't know any other way to say it. I'm doing all of this from memory so please bear with me. Off to the list.

HQ: Your HQ setups are wonderful with the weapon selections. The only thing that I would do different is put a Targeting Array on him to make him BS5. This way you are pretty much guaranteed a hit with everything you roll. I have found that when you add that piece of wargear tt makes him much more effective and he will kill a lot more things.

ELITES: I'm not a big fan of running monat (lone) Crisis Suits. I'd rather run a team of 2. There are ups and downs to doing this. As for the ups when you run monat suits you don't have to worry about taking break test, and your opponent needs to target each one specifically. As for the downs you are only getting a max of 3 shots with each suit leaving a whole lot standing right up in your face. The JSJ (jump shoot jump) tactic will help out with this but I don't think it will help out enough. But I guess there is a way around that if you run them together. The Fusion Blasters are a nice selection on 2 of the suits I would usually advise against this and would suggest you take Plasma Rifles but since you have an extreme lack of anti armor I would keep them just the way that they are. Also I would run them as a team leader @ +5 points and get some Targeting Array's and make the Multi Tracker a Hard Wired option. This way you gain the benefit of BS4 and you can fire every weapon on the monat suits. As for the 2 man team I love the weapon setups. It looks like you are going for quantity and not quality. I prefer quality not quantity. If you run one suit as a team leader you can stick a Hard Wired Multi Tracker on him allowing him to fire every weapon on his suit. Then you can put a Targeting Array for another hardpoint option. As for the other suit I would stick a Targeting Array on him giving him BS4. No you can't fire every weapon on this suit but it allows you to use the one you need at the moment.

TROOPS: I like your Kroot squads but there are their ups and downs to them as well. 10 Kroot with 10 Kroot hounds are going to be very hard to hide with your infiltrate ability. So instead of running 10 I would run 5 it saves you 30 points that you can use for upgrades (that you are desperately going to need) and it helps you out with hiding them. But at the same time running a big unit will help "overcome" their lack of armor. It's up to you in the long run BUT I would suggest you take one Kroot squad and get rid of it entirely. You transports need some desperate upgrades. You put Decoy launchers on a vehicle that can only move 6 inches and fire it's weapons. The Decoy Launchers are only effective against glancing hits and if you feel like firing with the Devilfish at all you are only going to be able to move it 6 inches. They WILL be able to score a penetrating hit on the vehicle and with AV 12 it's not going to be hard. The way to make this right is to put a Multi Tracker (allows you to fire as if you were a fast vehicle). You can move 12 inches and fire all defensive and one main weapon. I would suggest running them as a Warfish variant. The Warfish includes: Smart Missile System, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array, Burst Cannon, and Decoy Launchers. This will roughly come out to 120 pts (I believe if my memory serves me correctly). The Warfish variant is a nice vehicle to have it's virtually a mobile firing platform. 7 Strength 5 shots 4 of which DO NOT require line of sight is a nice thing to have. Also I would drop the Fire Warrior units down to 10 man squads with no upgrades this way it would free up some points.

FAST ATTACK: I've had limited experience with Pathfinders they are a 50/50 unit for me. They either work very well for me or they don't work at all. It's up to you if you want to keep them. GOOD JOB on resisting the urge for the rail rifles. I believe that pathfinders are for markerlights only but that's me. If you want to keep them I would suggest running their Devilfish as a Warfish variant.

HEAVY: The Hamerheads need some work....BADLY. Same thing with the Devilfish with the Decoy Launchers you can only move 6 inches and fire the Railgun then you can get a penetrating hit on the vehicle and that calls for a bad day. A Multi Tracker is a MUST HAVE upgrade on these vehicles no if's ands or buts about it. This upgrade PROTECTS the vehicle so much. The way I run my Railgun Hammerhead is a SMS (Smart Missile System), Multi Tracker, Target Lock (fires at 2 targets), Decoy Launchers and I believe that is it. This will come out to 180 points and it is a BEAST! I would ditch the Broadside all together and pick up another Hammerhead with an Ion Cannon and all of the same upgrades (Multi Tracker, Target Lock, SMS, Decoy Launchers) This will come out to 145 points.

Now I'm going to put a list together for you and show you what I would run to make it competetive (SP?).

HQ:
    Shas'el w/ Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    97pts

Shas'el w/ Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    97pts

ELITES:
    Crisis Suit Team Leader w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Gun, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    77pts

Crisis Suit Team Leader w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Gun, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    77pts

2 Crisis Suits
    1 Team Leader w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker
    Team Member w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array
    144pts

TROOPS:
    10 Fire Warriors
    Devilfish w/ Decoy Launchers, SMS, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    220pts

10 Fire Warriors
    220pts

10 kroot
    5 kroot hounds
    100pts

FAST:
    8 pathfinders

HEAVY:
    Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Decoy Launchers, Multi Tracker, SMS, Target Lock
    180pts

Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Decoy Launchers, Multi Tracker, SMS, Target Lock
    180pts

Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon, SMS, Target Lock, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers
    145pts

Total cost of the army is 1753. If it’s for friendly play then 3 points should not be a big deal but you always have those opponents out there that complain about 3 points and if this is the case just drop a Kroot Hound. Now I've made this list completely from memory so if my points are off please forgive me and let me know so I can fix the problem. Thanks and have a good one.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the harsh talking to.

the targeting array advice is solid on pretty much everything. i think the squad size on the crisis units is a prefence thing.

with out that much kroot in the list, i have serious doubt about being able to beat any chaos list i throw down at this level. 1 squad i doubt will be worth the points. against static guard i imagine 2 squads would be huge. i concede they have next to no ability to hide in deployment, but i doubt very much a squad of 15 could either. i can see the merit in nabbin some points outa em for sure though. ill keep that in mind.

i love the warfish suggestions. only problem i have for fire warriors now would be, their complete lack of standing power for the sake of objectives. with ld 7 that cant rally under 50% that awful scary.

after your suggestions i could see droping the pathfinders altogether. however i like em pre playtest, and i cant see fieldin em with out ld8 and a knife.

i agree with the droping of the broadside, but for another hammerhead? against the wrong army with out those extra kroot i just dont see the surviveability of another hammerhead. i could see possibly keepin the third hammerhead if i perhaps toss out the pathfinders and some how keep the kroot. maybe move some more points around etc. some good points for sure though.

the way im lookin at this tau army is from the standpoint of a black legion player that frequently crushes armored companies, so if i lack a bit of faith in dropping another front line squad in favor of another av 13 vehicle i think you can understand where im comin from. for instance at this point level i include in most of my chaos list 3 oblits 2 tank hunting lascannon squads an autocannon tank hunter squad, thats just 680 points. a ton of ressileince and a ton of antitank. and thats before 2 ics that can move as cavalry and will singlehandedly slam any tau squad out there. i have played tau before and have yet to lose to one. admittedly i have only played tau 5 or 6 times.

i just dont see the additional ionhead adding competitiveness to the list. i will keep thinkin about it for sure. thanks a ton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

The Ion head is an extremely powerful weapon I'll never go without one. 3 shots at Strength 7 AP 3. You are pretty much guaranteed 2 kills a turn against things in power armor and you can pop light armor AV 12 and under. I'm not going to say 13 because you can only glance it and the odds of that happening are slim to none. I think that if you were going to lose that would be poor tactics on your part IMO. My Ion head tank has always paid for itself 20 times over I love it and I'LL NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT As for the Fire Warriors I can see your point at the Ld7 comment and not being able to rally under half strength etc. But when you have that many Crisis Suits and Hammerheads on the board and your Fire Warriors have a 30" range they really shouldn't be getting shot at. There are way better targets of opportunity out there. You WILL NOT have a problem against Chaos with this list if played correctly. Stay out of LOS (for the most part) and use your mobility to your advantage. You have Crisis Suits to help you out with their AP2 weapons etc. I see your point but at the same time I don't believe it is a valid one. I'll edit later I have to get back to work.

EDIT: I'm back now. As for the comment with thrown at the wrong army it would be devastating. That's the case with lots of armies you just can't avoid that. The way I play is I find my happy medium and I'll probably make 10-15 army list and play with each one and see what units I need and don't need. I don't make one specific list to play a specific army it weakens you and your tactics. I don't know if that's what you were saying but that's what I got from it (I could be wrong although I never am j/k :shifty: ) Just let me know if I am. I get it down to 1 list and play it from there. When it really comes down to it it's your style of play and what things would and would not work for you. An Ion head Hammerhead works well for me but it might not work for you. You just have to play test it. Have some rep you did a great job!!
    Last edited by churchic; February 5th, 2007 at 22:47.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread