Librarium Online Forums banner

1000pts friendly first time eldar list

388 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zhaf 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I've recently finished my Tyranid army and I'm thinking about to start a small eldar army. I've bought the new codex and made a 1000pts list. I don't know anything about eldar strategy so don't judge me :p. Oh and I'm trying to go with the boxed squad sizes to make it cheaper money wise. I also don't like to paint vehicles that much so I'm trying to stay with infantry units.

here's my list:

-----HQ-----
Farseer
Psychic Powers: Doom
Wargear: Singing Spear
Cost: 83pts

---ELITE---
Striking Scorpions #6
Character: Exarch + scorpions claw + shadow strike + stalker
Cost: 148pts

Fire Dragons #6
Character: Exarch + Dragons Breath + Tank Hunter
Cost: 123pts

--TROOPS--
Dire Avengers #10
Character: Exarch + Defend + Blade Storm + power weapon, shimmer shield
Cost: 177pts

Dire Avengers #10

-FAST ATTACK-
Warp Spiders #6
Character: Exarch + Spinneret Rifle + Withdraw
Cost: 164pts

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
Falcon
Wargear: starcannon
Options: shuriken cannon + holo fields + spirit stones
Cost: 195pts

total army cost: 1067pts

So I am a little over my pt limit so help me out here. I'm thinking about exchange a unit of dire avengers with a unit of 5 rangers to bring the cost down. But then it seems like I have too few troop models. oh well what do I know... so just fire away. Help is much appreciated!

EDIT

I've made some minor changes... mainly just to take the list to 1000pts
Here it is:

-----HQ-----
Farseer
Cost: 80pts

---ELITE---
Striking Scorpions #6
Character: Exarch + scorpions claw + shadow strike
Cost: 143pts

Fire Dragons #6
Character: Exarch + Dragons Breath
Cost: 108pts

--TROOPS--
Dire Avengers #10

Guardians #10
Character: Warlock + Destructor + Enhance
Options: Starcannon
Cost: 155pts

-FAST ATTACK-
Warp Spiders #5
Character: Exarch + Spinneret Rifle + Withdraw
Cost: 142pts

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
Falcon
Wargear: starcannon
Options: shuriken cannon + holo fields + spirit stones
Cost: 195pts

total army cost: 1000pts

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That's a pretty decent first list, and welcome to Eldar
Heres a few suggestions for changes.

Farseer
Wargear: Singing Spear
Cost: 83pts
Standard HQ, I think you will really like doom.

Striking Scorpions #6
Character: Exarch + scorpions claw + shadow strike + stalker
Cost: 148pts
Good choice maybe drop stalker, I would also suggest a full squad of ten.

Character: Exarch + Dragons Breath + Tank Hunter
Cost: 123pts
Fire dragons don't really need an exarch, six melta guns and six melta bombs have always done the trick for me. If you must take him give him the fire pike.

Dire Avengers #10
To shave some points I would go with just bladestorm and a second avenger catapult.

My suggestion would be to change your list around to something like this:

Farseer 123pts
Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear

9+1 Striking Scorpions 192 pts
Scorpion Claw, Shadow Strike

9+1 Dire Avengers 152 pts
Bladestorm, Second Avenger Catapult

9+1 Dire Avengers 152 pts
Bladestorm, Second Avenger Catapult

7+1 Warp Spiders 218 pts
Withdraw, Extra Death Spinner, Power Blades

Wraithlord 140 pts
Wraith Sword, Brightlance

This would give the same model count, but you still have 23 pts to spend and no tanks to paint. This is only a suggestion to give you a few ideas. Playing around with the farsser powers and the warp spiders numbers can free an upwards of 110 pts.

#3 ·
thanks severi87 for your thoughts.

I was in a hurry when I started this thread so I didn't had any time to explain why I had made my list as it is... so here it goes.

The farseer I made like that because I'm not experienced on eldar powers and doom was the most common when I browsed the other army lists.
I made the scorpions 6 was mainly because they come in 6s, and stalker was so cheap :p... but I guess that it won't help that much.
I took a exarch with the dragons was mainly for the breath weapon... it's a heavy flamer! I thought that if I had to take out other squads of infantry a heavy flamer would help the dragons very much as the flamer can probably take out 4-5 models. Exsample: the dragons encounter lets say genestealers, they usually are in brood of ~8, so I fire the flamer and almost everyone will get covered (or partly covered) and 3+ to wound and no saves will almost certainly kill of 4 of them and then 5 fusion gun shots will probably wipe the brood out if not it'll only have 1-2 models left. If they arn't under synapse they'll make a morale check. The firepike is just a fusion gun but with slight longer range. But the tank hunter skill was probably a waste of pts.
I took the shield and defend on the avenger exarchs was because that a 5+ iv sv on the whole squad was so hard to pass up. And with defend they actually will be able to stand and hold against a lot of units in the game in CC. As one squad of scorpions can't possibly handle all the CC in a match :p.
I went with warp spider was mainly because they rock in dawn of war game :p... but I know how annoying tau jet packs are and the warp generators works kinda like them so I thought to try it out. My only concern is that their weapons don't have an AP value :p. Oh and I went with the spinneret rifle instead of extra death spinner is that the rifle have ap1 and pinning, this will guarantee that the unit I'm shooting will take a pinning test.
I took the falcon was so I could transport my dragons to they can pop those tanks fast! plus the falcon is hard to kill with holofields.

#4 ·
Your original list is fine. One thing that is difficult when starting to play eldar is understanding that every unit has its role that it specializes in. The trick is to make all these elements work together. For example sure the dragons breath is gonna kill 4 genestealers and your fire dragons are going to kill about another 4, but your dire avengers can kill 6 with carapace and 11 without, which leaves your fire dragons to target MC and tanks which is what they are designed to do. So its your choice, If I was confronted with this situation I would unload 64 shots of avenger catapult at the genestealers and take down the carnifex with fire dragons. Of course fluff is an important aspect in many armies and I totally support your decisions if that is the basis. Good luck.

#5 ·
isn't there any one alse that have anything to saya bout my list?... I'm new to eldar so I don't know anything about eldar tactics. So if anyonw like to fill me in on some things it'll be nice. The only thing I've really understand are that falcons + fire dragons make excelent tank hunters... other than that know little to none eldar tactics... so fill me in would ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.