1000 Points First Tau Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Points First Tau Army

So im just starting tau now and so far i've got two squads of 12 fire warriors and my HQ built and painted and looking to finish up my army so i can play with it soon so i want to make a good list to build towards at first. Newayz i really like crisis suits so i made this as my first tau list ever.

HQ
    Shas'el Commander
    -Jetpack, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hardwired Multi-tracker, Character,
    Acute Senses, Deep Strike

Elites
    3 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui
    -Jetpack, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker, Deep Strike, Acute Senses
    2 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui

Troops
    10 Fire Warrior Shas'la, 1 Shas'ui
    -2 Pulse Carbine, 9 Pulse Rifle, Bonded

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead
    -Railgun, 2 Burst Cannons, Targetting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Skimmer,
    Landing Gear
    Hammerhead
    -Railgun, 2 Burst Cannons, Targetting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Skimmer,
    Landing Gear

Total:987

I have 13 points left over so i was thinking of just giving my HQ a command & control node and a blacksun filter just because i have those extra 3 points i might as well use them for something. Anyways any suggestions/ideas/constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by drifter00 View Post
    So im just starting tau now and so far i've got two squads of 12 fire warriors and my HQ built and painted and looking to finish up my army so i can play with it soon so i want to make a good list to build towards at first. Newayz i really like crisis suits so i made this as my first tau list ever.
    First things first, welcome to the wonderful world of Tau and LO, now to business, not a bad list at all with a few tweaks we will have you up and running.
    A note on the list descriptions, you do not have to describe such things as Jetpacks, character or acute senses and deep strike, these are inherent traits or equipment and as such cannot be varied, so it saves you time not typing them because we know they have em.:yes:

HQ
    Shas'el Commander
    -Jetpack, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hardwired Multi-tracker, Character,
    Acute Senses, Deep Strike
    Nice safe choice and I mean in that in no disparaging manner, for a beginner to Tau its a good choice, when you get more experienced consider the Helios multi (PL/Fusion/TA and Multi) its a great character/armour killer, but as it stands nice intelligent choice

Elites
    3 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui
    2 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui
    Now here is your first problem, I know it always looks good when you first see the codex to take as many XV8's as you can, but teams of three are very fragile, they draw fire like a drawing fire magnety kind of thing and thats bad news, (a) because its hard to hide em and (b) because as soon as you lose one your testing for fall back and Tau don't have great LDS, also when you get down to one your last man testing.
    Now here is my standard advice, take another Shas'El I really cannot get this through to enough players, Shas'Els are your friend for 20pts more than a normal Fireknife multi (thats your suits) your getting +2 BS, +1 wounds, Independent character status (the benefits of which I wont go into here but will if you require me to later), always take two HQ, its the law or it darn well should be.

Now this will leave you with three elites slots unfilled and 4 XV8's.
    Now if you have the suits built use the fireknifes, if not I would recommend 2 solo Fireknifes for some anti MEQ and a team of 2 Deathrains with TA's these are cheap and deadly, deploy the Fireknives as lone suits and the Deathrains in the remaining slot, this gives you 3 separate targets a turn and makes the enemy split fire between 3 separate targets, if you need to you can combine fire on to one unit. The lone suits (Monats) never take last man standing tests and are immune to fall back from shooting, the Deathrains are lethal and hardly ever miss.

Troops
    Lose the bonding, its hardly ever needed, lose the carbines, why take two you will hardly ever get pinning out of them and the mix of weapons does not help, you should be maximising the range of the pulse rifle as this gives you a shot before other infantry get in range and rapid fire is more important than two carbine shots
    Heavy Support
    Hammerhead
    -Railgun, 2 Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Skimmer,
    Landing Gear
    Hammerhead
    -Railgun, 2 Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Skimmer,
    Landing Gear
    Spot on excellent choice

Total:987

I have 13 points left over so i was thinking of just giving my HQ a command & control node and a blacksun filter just because i have those extra 3 points i might as well use them for something. Anyways any suggestions/ideas/constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Forget the node its takes up a valuable slot on the XV8.

So if you implement my changes you will have

HQ
    2X Shas'Els fireknife multis 194pts

Elite
    1 XV8 firknife, HW multi andh TA 77pts (+1 BS)
    1 fireknife HW multi and TA 77pts (+1BS)
    2 Deathrains with twinlinked missile pods and targeting array 106pts (+1BS)

Troops
    10 FW with pulse rifles and Shas'Ui 110pts
    9 FW with pulse rifles and Shas'Ui 110ps (lost one FW to pay for the superior XV8's)

Heavy
    2 X Hammerheads with RG, BC, Multi and DL 330

Now this is a better list in that its more survivable, the XV8's are harder to hit, the Deathrains can stay at range (as can the Fireknives) the two HQ XV's will really take some killing and add some punch (maybe consider a fusion on one for the anti armour).
    The only real fault I can see is the FW being static so I would maybe think about trimming a few of the XV8's in favour of some Devilfish transports for them or at least 1 FW squad in a DF and some Kroot , the Kroot are cheap and really versatile.

Anyway its a good first attempt, one of the best I have seen and I will start your rep accumulation of for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    I would maybe think about trimming a few of the XV8's in favour of some Devilfish transports for them or at least 1 FW squad in a DF and some Kroot , the Kroot are cheap and really versatile.

Anyway its a good first attempt, one of the best I have seen and I will start your rep accumulation of for you.
    I agree with Riki except here is my two cents.

A new army should be as versatile as it gets while still being effective. This should give you a wonderful buffet of destruction to taste from. Once you have your favorites picked out, gear your army toward this.

1) Change one Hammy into an Ion Head (-35 pts)
    2) Drop the elite fireknife and split the deathrain squads up so they are monats (-77pts)
    3) put the 9 man FW-sqaud in a Warfish configured as follows:
    (Devilfish, SMS,Multi Tracker, TL) (+115pts)
    4) Scrap the 10 man FW-squad for a 16 man squad of Kroot. (+2 pts)

These configurations to Riki's list make the army 999 pts (considerations to the miscalculation of the second fire warrior squad cost being 100 and not 110)

This should give you an idea of what kind of Tau army you like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by fishseal View Post
    I agree with Riki except here is my two cents.

A new army should be as versatile as it gets while still being effective. This should give you a wonderful buffet of destruction to taste from. Once you have your favorites picked out, gear your army toward this.

1) Change one Hammy into an Ion Head (-35 pts)
    2) Drop the elite fireknife and split the deathrain squads up so they are monats (-77pts)
    3) put the 9 man FW-sqaud in a Warfish configured as follows:
    (Devilfish, SMS,Multi Tracker, TL) (+115pts)
    4) Scrap the 10 man FW-squad for a 16 man squad of Kroot. (+2 pts)

These configurations to Riki's list make the army 999 pts (considerations to the miscalculation of the second fire warrior squad cost being 100 and not 110)

This should give you an idea of what kind of Tau army you like.
    I see problems with your advice, 1st the fireknife adds some anti MEQ with the Plasma along with the Shas'el, this is needed. The Hammerheads should stay as Railgun equipped as it allows for much more versitality in target selection and the subs option is much more usefull at this level as armour is not as prevalent but infantry tends to be more common, The rail gun can hadle all comers much better than an Ion.
    At this points level and with two Hammerheads the option of a Devilfish is not viable, I would advise dropping a Hammerhead and bulking both FW squads up to 12 and taking a Warfish, this makes more sense at this level than dropping the Fireknife (the dude already said he wants XV8's and fireknifes are new Tau player friendly)
    The Kroot is an option but do not take 16, take a 10 man Kroot squad with 6 Hounds, much more versatile and better in assaullt situations.
    You can actually get away with just one Hammerhead but make sure its a railgun equipped one and not Ion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I made a few changes to my army list and now here's what it looks like (Thank you rikimaru for your advice it really made sense.

HQ-194
    Shas'el Commander (Firenkife config.)
    -Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker
    Shas'el Commander (Helios config.)
    -Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker

Elites-265
    1 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui (Fireknife config.)
    2 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui (Deathrain config.)
    -Twin-Linked Missile Pods, Targeting Arrays, 1 Target Lock

Troops-220
    9 Fire Warrior Shas'la, 1 Shas'ui
    -10 Pulse Rifle
    -10 Pulse Rifle

Heavy Support-330
    Hammerhead
    -Railgun, 2 Burst Cannons, Targetting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers
    Hammerhead

Total:1009/1000

Now i'm 9 points over my limit so i was thinking of either dropping 1 fire warrior or taking the decoy launchers off the hammerheads but i'd like your guys' advice on reducing the last little bit and also any changes you want to suggest.

Oh and also with my helios shas'el should I deep-strike it or start with it on the table and move up through cover?
    40k Record W-L-T
    Soul Reapers Necrons 8-14-2 Hive Fleet Behemoth Tyranids 21-7-1 Raven Guard Marines 12-6-5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Hey I made a few changes to my army list and now here's what it looks like (Thank you rikimaru for your advice it really made sense.

HQ-194
    Shas'el Commander (Firenkife config.)
    Shas'el Commander (Helios config.)
    -Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker

Elites-265
    2 XV8 Crisis Shas'ui (Deathrain config.)
    -Twin-Linked Missile Pods, Targeting Arrays, 1 Target Lock

Troops-220
    -10 Pulse Rifle
    -10 Pulse Rifle

Heavy Support-330
    Hammerhead
    Hammerhead

Total:1009/1000

Now i'm 9 points over my limit so i was thinking of either dropping 1 fire warrior or taking the decoy launchers off the hammerheads but i'd like your guys' advice on reducing the last little bit and also any changes you want to suggest.

Oh and also with my helios shas'el should I deep-strike it or start with it on the table and move up through cover?
    Never ever deep strike a Helios, its suicidal especially for the valuable resource that is the Shas'El, in 1000pt battles the Helios is better used as a tough unit/model killer and for things like Dread killing or War walkers, its range of 12" can be used fully then and with the 6" assault move your 18" away, try to keep the Shas near other models from your list and keep them between it and the opponents units and he should be safe.

The Deathrains and Fireknives should be used to pop transports first as this will limit your opponents maneuverability and allow your FW to use their inherent range advantage from the Pulse rifles.

Use the Hammerheads to batter infantry and take out any of the rarer heavy armour, but do not lose the decoys, they are key (along with constant movement) to preserving your HH, I would not lose a Fire Warrior either I would just lose the Shas'Ui upgrade and try as best as possible to deploy the Shas'Ui less unit in cover and as close to maximum pulse rifle range as you can get them.

The XV8's and HH are the keys to your list here and really any 1000pt list is going to find it hard to beat, the only things missing really are Kroot and a mobile FW element but these can come in the 1500pt expansion.

If your happy with the list as it stands (minus the Shas;Ui) then I would just give it some play testing and keep the other ideas (loss of a HH for a Warfish and full FW squads etc) as a possible variation, but play some games and see if the list performs, I will be very surprised if it doesn't, just be aware of the limited mobility of the FW.

However this can be an advantage, use the FW as a lure and then catch any unit that comes close in a concerted XV8/HH cross fire.

You wanted an XV8 themed list and this one seems to fit the bill, fluffy (for you) and effective, so if thats what you desire then go for it.

Good luck and let us know how the list goes.

+ Reply to Thread