2000 pt new to tau list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt new to tau list

ok, i have played tau before, but not in this edition.

so help me out in deciding what works.

here is my concept list.

HQ - 476

shas'o
    -missile pod
    -plasma rifle
    -sheild generator
    -hard-wired multi tracker
    -hard-wired drone controller
    -iridium armor plates
    -stimulent injector
    -2-sheild drones

body guard
    2 shas'vre
    -missile pods
    -plasma rifles
    -multi trackers
    -drone control
    -2 sheild drones

shas'el
    -airbursting fragmentation launcher
    -cyclic ion blaster
    -sheild generator
    -multi tracker

troops - 770
    12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 firewarriors
    -devilfish w/ disruption pods

12 firewarriors

fast - 192
    8 gun drones - 96

8 gun drones - 96

heavies - 560
    hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -railgun
    -smart missile system

hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -ion cannon
    -smart missile system

broadsides
    3 suits
    -multi trackers
    -team leader
    -target lock

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by hellbunny View Post

here is my concept list.

HQ - 476

shas'o
    -missile pod
    -plasma rifle
    -sheild generator
    -iridium armor plates
    -stimulent injector
    -2-sheild drones

body guard
    2 shas'vre
    -missile pods
    -plasma rifles
    -multi trackers
    -drone control
    -2 sheild drones

shas'el
    -cyclic ion blaster
    -sheild generator
    -multi tracker

troops - 770
    12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 firewarriors

12 firewarriors

fast - 192
    8 gun drones - 96

8 gun drones - 96

heavies - 560
    hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -railgun
    -smart missile system

hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -ion cannon
    -smart missile system

broadsides
    3 suits
    -multi trackers
    -team leader
    -target lock

alright hre's aome advice. this is similar to the list i run so i know my way around this.

HQ
    you have way to many points invested in your HQ list. with way to much almost useless wargear on your commander. get rid of the iriduim armor plates firs of all. that full assault move will save your life way more then a 2+ armour save. the sheild generator is useless if you stick terrian like your supposed too. and you already have TWO sheild drones. yoou dont need three seperate inv. saves. plus you really only need one to start with if you take any at all. most people on this forum dont take them because you lose independent character status, which if used right is better then any save because no one can target you. stimulant injector isnt worth it really and the points are better spent else where. your body gaurds are 10 points cheaper each, if you put them as regular crisis suits in your elite slots which you have used none of. now to your commanders themselfs. change your shas'o to a shas'el with targgeting arrray. you save an additional 15 points for the same BS. do the same for your other shas'el and just make the multi track hardwired. the c weopon combo you have on him is interesting too. it could be very effective against imperial gaurd infintry, tyranid, orks, or even other tau.

Elite
    i'll cover your bodygaurds here cause they really should be here. what i do is always twin link my wepons on my crisis suits. and add a targgeting array. then i almost never miss. which is what your crisis suits should be doing. wether its plasma rifles or missle pods its up to you. this though, is purely my opinion.

Troop
    i like this. i always think the more firewarriors the better. also haveing the devilfishes for the fish of furie tatic. but put decoy launchers on too. you should be moving 7-12" every turn your fire warriors are inside it and if it gets a immobilized those decoy launchers can save you life. one final note on this. never use pulse carbines. rifles are a way better wepon all around for them.

Fast
    very good with the gun drones. better chance of hitting then fire warriors. dont change it.

Heavy
    better here. again i prefer decoy launchers but its up to you. also i prefer burst cannons instead of the sms. its ten points cheaper and more effective for the points i think. for the broad sides, i say absoulutly take advanced stabilization insted of multi track. its has saved me many times.

thats all i can think of for now. sorry its so long winded. it takes some exsplaning sometimes to get what im thinking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

here is my concept list.

HQ - 476

shas'o
    -missile pod
    -plasma rifle
    -sheild generator
    -iridium armor plates
    -stimulent injector
    -2-sheild drones

body guard
    2 shas'vre
    -missile pods
    -plasma rifles
    -multi trackers
    -drone control
    -2 sheild drones

shas'el
    -cyclic ion blaster
    -sheild generator
    -multi tracker
    Ok heres a classic case of new army/codex syndrome, just because the gear is new does not mean you have to take it, you have to look at the stuff objectively, lets take a look at the Iridium armour for instance, 2+ save cool you may think until you realise it can reduce your movement to 1 inch in the assault phase move, and its also restricting your bodyguards movement to because a unit is restricted to the movement speed of its slowest member, and thats just one example.
    So lets take a look at what you want your HQ to do, right a couple of things here:
    (1) Independent character status, bodyguards remove it and its the est thing for keeping your valuable HQ alive, so use it, lose the drones (all of them) and lose the BG.
    (2)BS the commander has superior stats, the most important being its BS, so keep it simple to ensure the HQ is kept alive long enough to use it, but is cheap enough not to be a libility
    (3) You can take two Shas's so take em, forget the BG and use the points to take two HQ XV8's
    (4) Shas'Els, forget the Shas'O, its to expensive and does nothing better than the cheaper Shas'El

So heres the advice on HQ XV8's

Shas'El Plasma (always take plasma), missile pod (I would advise this for you til your more experienced then consider the fusion),Targeting array and HW multi tracker 97pts. thats it nothing else, no drones no stims, no Iridium armour. TAKE TWO OF THESE

Now your Shas'El is poor, its using a weapon that makes no use of its superior stats and the CIB is just plain poor, Tau have very little mid strength weapons platforms and next to none with BS5, so why are you wasting the ones we have on crap weapons. The ABFP and CIB make getting close to the enemy unavoidable and they will struggle to damage anything other than the weaker infantry. Take plasma and Missile pods and watch them cut a swathe at a safe range.

Now this alone has saved you 90pts, so use them on another XV8, I would recommend a Deathrain (twin linked missile pod and targeting array) cheap (53pts) and guaranteed to hit whatever it shoots at, or another plasma, MP, TA, HW multi XV8 team leader at 77pts for some easy to use anti armour/Marine equivilent killing power, think about taking helios multis later (PL/FU/Multi)

troops - 770
    12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 fire warriors - 120

12 firewarriors

12 firewarriors
    Unless you have bought, assembled and painted these I would have a radical re-think, if you take a look at the new codexes that have been issued lately you will see a definite swing towards mobile armies, this even applies to armies like IG with armoured fist and drop troops, Marines with drop pods and speeders, Dark Angels with there scout move equipped raven wing and first turn deep strike capability and last but by no means least Eldar (no explanation needed there)
    This is bad news for static FW themed lists, basically your going to lose two or three squads in quick time, because you have very little distraction (1 XV8 squad and a couple of drone squads), even if you use the drone squads as a buffer your still losing units, if the FW squads move there range is restricted to 12".
    I would seriously recommend losing two squads and buying another Devilfish and having two devilfish mounted 12 man squads with pulse rifles and a Shas'Ui.
    Now to Devilfish, disruption pods are useless, DF are skimmers, they should always be moving, if they are moving they count any hit as glancing, disruption pods down grade hits to glancing but only on at ranges greater than 12", so why take an upgrade when you can get the same benefit for free just by moving.
    What you need to take is decoy launchers, immobalised is the skimmers worst enemy, so the re-roll offers a good chance to survive an immobalised result, couple this with the movement advice and your DF just got harder to kill

So 12 FW pulse rifles and Shas'Ui 130pts X 2
    Devilfish with decoys 85pts X2
    Total 430 so another saving of 135 pts

fast - 192
    8 gun drones - 96

8 gun drones - 96
    I like drone squads but 1 is enough, and how exactly do you plan to use these, i use mine to accompany my Shas'El (not joined they remain separate units), they protect him by exploiting the independent character rule of the IC not being able to be targeted if he is not the closest unit, I circle my Shas'El with the 8 drones so he is never the closes model, I use the Shas to pop transports and the drones to kill passengers, works well.

heavies - 560
    hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -railgun
    -smart missile system

hammerhead
    -multi tracker
    -disruption pods
    -target lock
    -ion cannon
    -smart missile system

broadsides
    3 suits
    -multi trackers
    -team leader
    -target lock
    Again lose the disruption pods and use decoys (explained why), lose the SMS, your a new Tau player and you definitely do not want to have your Hammerheads close enough to use the SMS.
    Perfect fit for a HH is Railgun, Burst cannons, Multi and decoys for 165pts, take two

The railgun is more versatile than an Ion, it offers the solid shot option and the submunnition, the subs is what you should be using, two subs a turn offers brilliant infantry reduction capabilities
    XV88's have you bought these, if you have well lose the multis, waste of points, just take two target locks and a targeting array, you will have a unit that can hit three targets a turn and one suit hitting on 3+.
    If you havent bought them, then I would wait because XV88's are hard to use well, I would honestly advise either another Hammerhead or some more XV8's or stealths.

Anyway lets see what the cost is for what I advised

2 Shas'Els 194pts

1 XV8 either 53pts or 77pts

2 FW units 260pts
    2 DF 170pts

2 Hammerheads 330ps

1 drone squad 96pts

Total with Possible 3 man XV88 squad 235pts = 1362 (with 77pt XV

Total with extra Hammerhead at 165pts = 1297(with 77pt XV

Thats only a maximum of 1362pts and already its a better list, more mobile, better HQ and XV8, Hammerheads better and XV88 squad trimmed slightly.

So you have a minimum of 638 points to spend, what do I advise you consider.

Well Kroot for one, these are the single most improved unit in the new codex, two units of 10 with 8 hounds for 118pts, infiltrate, good weaponry, good assault with the hounds, good cover bonuses, fantastic unit.

Markerlights, consider a pathfinder unit 96 pts for 8 pathfinders (no rail rifles please) and warfish (DF with SMS, Multi, TA and decoys for 120pts) drop of the Pathfinders into cover and use the warfish as an extra tank.

With the two Kroot and the pathfinders its only 1809 points so with the last 186 points I would take another 2 Deathrains make 1 a team leader add them the other Deathrain, give the team leader TA and HW target lock and the other DR a TA and you have 3 Xv8's that can hit three different targets a turn and stay out of harms way, they are guaranteed to hit and will damage anything they hit Thats 62pts for the Tl and another 53pts so thats 1924 pts.

So you would have

2 Shas'Els PL/MP/TA and HW Multi 194pts

3 man Deathrain team 1 team leader with TL MP/TA and HW multi
    2 with TL MP/TA 168 (you could spit these up into 3 separate suits taking up one elite slot each and save 9pts, but more importantly they will perform better and be more survivable)

2 X Fire Warrior squads 12 man with Shas'Ui 260pts
    2 X Devilfish with Dl's 170pts

2 Kroot squads with 10 Kroot and 8 hounds 236pts

1 Drone squad 96pts

1 Pathfinder squad 96pts

1 Warfish SMS/Multi/TA and DL's 120pts

2 Hammer heads with RG/BC/Multi and DL' 330pts

3 x XV88's team leader with and TA others with Target locks 235pts

This equals 1896 pts, so I would advise a Piranha with fusion and 2 seekers and decoys for 90pts for a total of 1986pts, the 14pts well I would give the pathfinder team a Shas'Ui the extra LDS can only help and one of the Shas'ELs a blacksun filter HW for a total of 1999pts

Now I know its a whole sale change to your list, but its a better use of 2000pts believe me, and I hope it has given you some scope for thought and ideas on whats good for TAU

I know you said you played before, if your confident enough go for a plasma/fusion/TA and multi equipped Shas'El they kick ass.

Good luck

Rikki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

i was just totally ignored. wtf?!
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by greektlake View Post
    i was just totally ignored. wtf?!
    By who? I get ignored all the time (on Lo and real life), you get used to it chill dude and what does 'wtf' mean are they bad words:shifty:

+ Reply to Thread