1500 Hybrid Tau list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

1500 Hybrid Tau list.

Hey, all you wonderful Tau know-it-alls. I come humbly seeking advice. I have worked up some fab fluff ideas for a Tau cadre, and have wrought up a list to capture the essence of my fluff. I'd like some feedback on both the Fluff and the List, if it's not too much of a problem.

Fluff wise, the cadre is a small, ragged band of hardy troops that operate much in the same style as Farsight. Resources are limited since they're usually on long, drawn out campaigns. Because of this, I'm self imposing the Farsight FO restrictions, but didn't want to actually take Farsight himself, so don't get any of the benefits.

List elements are in Black, fluff elements are in blue, and tactics are in red.

NOTE - This list is obsolete. Please see new list in post #10.

Shas'O Vior'la Suam'mesa Sav'Siral (Commander Firebrand, for short) - 97 points
    Shas'El w/
    Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targetting Array, HW Multi-tracker.

While still young by Tau standards, and not yet experienced enough to earn himself the proper Shas'O title, Commander Firebrand is well loved by his cadre, and they have no problems with referring to him as Shas'O. Firebrand grew up on the same planet as O'Shovah, and heard of the many great exploits accomplished by the now outcast Commander. Firebrand grew to idolize O'Shovah, and in his eyes, he could do no wrong. Firebrand studied the tactics and battle plans of O'Shovah time and time again, memorizing every last detail to near perfection. To this day, Firebrand is known for his complete lack of mercy on the battlefield and near fanatical devotion to warfare. While unstable at times, Firebrand has thus far produced only positive results. While he has at times taken near mortal wounds, he always recovers quickly and is back on the battlefield, leading his troops from the front lines.

In battle, Firebrand utilizes the weaponry choices of his two Crisis Suit teams. However, instead of specializing in a single weapon like they do, Firebrand is skilled enough to operate both weapon systems to full effect at the same time, and still retains most of the accuracy claimed by the Crisis Teams.

Standard Fireknife Shas'El combination. I've considered swapping the Missile Pod to a Cyclic Ion Blaster, as that would more suit his character, but since I'm new to Tau, I decided to stick with what has been tried and true. Also, the Missile Pod ties him in with squad Savon.

Crisis Team 'Savon' - 106 points
    2x Crisis Suits w/
    Twin Linked Missile Pods; Targetting Array

Savon team are some of the most accurate warriors in the cadre. Because of their unnatural talent with ranged weaponry, they're given the task of destroying high priority targets, such as transports and enemy skimmers. They also function as a harassing unit, using their long range firepower to slow down advancing enemy troops.

Deathrains. Twin-linked and Targetting Arrays means an 88% chance to hit with each Missile (I learned that here! Wheee!). That should be enough to blow holes in any transport or light skimmer, and still packs enough of a punch to threaten Monstrous Creatures and light infantry. I love them because they're cheap and dangerous.

Crisis Team 'Phera'Pol' - 62 x 2 (Total 124)
    1x Crisis Suit w/
    Plasma Rifle; Missile Pod; Multi-tracker

1x Crisis Suit w/

Phera'Pol squad are the workhorses. They follow right behind the Kor units, taking down any targets that might prove to be too tough for the Fire Warriors to handle alone. Their high strength weaponry is perfectly suited to this task, and they're not afraid to close this distance and get their hands dirty.

I originally had Plasma/Fusion combination here, but decided I really hated the BS3. After doing some quick math, I decided that Twinlinking the Plasmas allowed me to swap the Multi-trackers for Targetting Arrays. Firepower goes down a bit, but hit rate goes WAY up, making them far deadlier, and the cost increase is negligable (only 3 points). Because of the increased Ballistic Skill and Twin-Linking, the Fusion Blaster is not missed at all. The team is far deadlier in the 13" to 24" range, and is actually slightly more efficient in the 1" to 12" range. The only thing they lose is the ability to snipe T4, multi-wound models, and bust tanks. But those two jobs can fall to other units.

Army Edit notes -
    Team has been split up into two Monat suits. This way they can operate independantly if need be, or can join up to combine firepower. Also avoids LMS and Morale tests.

Fire Warrior team 'Kor'Thera' - 210 points
    10x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
    Shash'ui w/ Bonding Knife
    Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Decoy Launchers; Multi-tracker

Fire Warrior team 'Kor'Unusu' - 210 points

Working as a matched pair, both 'Kor' units are tasked with engaging the enemy before they can reach the Tau lines. To accomplish this, they've been equipped with the two remaining Devilfish in the Cadre. Without the resources to perform proper upkeep on the Devilfish, they're equipped with only what the cadre has avaliable at the time.

Standard Fish of Fury stuff going on here. The Bonding Knife is added in to help solidify the Farsight theme. The Devilfish are given only the most necessary upgrades, and kept cheap. Besides, I like the Gun Drones.

Fire Warrior team 'Fio'Thera' - 125 points
    8x Fire Warriors
    Shas'ui w/ HW Target Lock; HW Drone Controller & 2x Gun Drones; Markerlight

The first of the static firebase units. The Fio team is tasked with holding the Tau's deployment zone, and protect the oft-threatened Broadsides from incoming infiltrators. Due to battle losses, the team is forced to make use of Drones to keep themselves at near full strength.

While not particularly effective, I like the idea of a unit on the ground holding my own deployment zone. Markerlights are given since they're static, and the range is good enough that the Shas'ui can hit most of the board. If need be, they'll counter-charge incoming units to allow time for the Broadsides to relocate out of danger.

Originally I had two units of foot sloggers, but one was dropped for points. Those points were spent beefing up Phera'Pol squad, and purchasing a nice unit of DSing Gun Drones. While not the most effective of squads, I like them because they add some character to the army.

Gun Drone Squad - 96 points
    8x Gun Drones w/ Pulse Carbines

Firebrand's forces are always short on resources, both material and bodily, so must make use of every gun he can. To this end, he's taken various Gun Drones from the armoury and programmed them to operate independantly. Though the squad is small, it's proven to be highly effective at disrupting enemy movements, and has even destroyed an enemy tank from time to time.

I've always wanted to see how well a DSing group of Gun Drones worked. Their main use is to Deep Strike behind enemy lines, either capturing objectives or unloading Pulse Carbines into the rear armour of enemy tanks. They can also be used to force Target Priority checks. My only wish is to up the squad size, but I can't justify taking points from anywhere else in the list.

Hammerhead Gunship 'Lucky Lady' - 170 points
    Railgun; 2x Burst Cannons; Multi-Tracker; Decoy Launchers; Target Lock

Named the Lucky Lady (Not sure of Tau Translation - any help?) due to it's uncanny ability to always survive any engagement. Firebrand has taken to using the Lucky Lady as a decoy, since he's convinced that it'll never be destroyed.

Standard Railhead configuration. While the fluff suggests I'll be throwing it out to the wolves, standard tactics will be to use cover and pick targets of opportunity as they arrive.

Skyray Gunship 'Northwestern' - 155 points
    Seeker Missiles; Burst Cannons; Decoy Launchers; Targetting Array; Multi-tracker

Named the 'Northwestern' because every last Seeker Missile fired from this Skyray unerringly flies off into the distance, only to turn around and approach it's target from the Northwest. The Earth caste is at a loss to explain this phenomenon, but believe it to be a glitch in the targetting circutry. Removing and replacing the Targetting Array might fix the issue, but for the time being, the missiles still arrive at their destination, so Firebrand has put the fix off in favour of more pressing concerns.

Again, a matter where the fluff is just that - fluff. No, the Seeker Missiles always count as coming from the Skyray, but it was a neat idea I liked, so I'm going with it. The Skyray will mostly be used for Markerlight support, throwing off it's Seeker Missiles as fast as possible. When those are expended, it'll start throwing out Burst Cannon shots, and Markerlighting other important enemy units.

Broadside team 'Mal'caor' - 200 points
    TL Railguns; Smart Missile Systems; Advanced Stabilisation System
    Team Leader w/ HW Target Lock; HW Drone Controller & 2x Shield Drones

The last piece of the static firebase. Experimental suits built with four legs each, the Broadsides often times surprise enemies with their increased agility and astounding firepower.

Anti-tank team. I really want to include Broadsides, as I love the models and really want to try my hand at converting some to have four legs each. One is upgraded to a Shas'vre and given a Target Lock, for the ability to smash two tanks a turn if need be. Shield Drones were passed on, as I find them to be expensive, and cover is cheap. I plan on running these guys much like how I run my Obliterators.

All totalled, the list is 1494 points. I've managed to get one squad in each of the FO slots, which is a rare occurance for me.

As always, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Caluin; March 17th, 2007 at 03:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

It looks like a very good list Caluin.

But I have to comment it.

First: You can't just call you Shas'El for Shas'O in his name that is wrong....

Second: It looks like you want to be sure to hit since you uses both Targeting Array and TL weapons. But it will surely work, but is perhaps a bit expensive.

Third: Drop one of the Plasma Rifle suits. Three-man teams doesn't work good enough to be worth the extra suit. Just simply make it monat suit and you will have a good elite chart

Fourth: Find some point to give you Broadside Shield Drones. It will need them to survive. Someone a lot of people tends to aim at the Broadsides early on in games
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hey Cal, i love your list and the fluff is great. I would love a chance to give my opinions though so i will put those in Magenta (why can't we just call it pink....i mean seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin View Post
    Hey, all you wonderful Tau know-it-alls. I come humbly seeking advice. I have worked up some fab fluff ideas for a Tau cadre, and have wrought up a list to capture the essence of my fluff. I'd like some feedback on both the Fluff and the List, if it's not too much of a problem.

Fluff wise, the cadre is a small, ragged band of hardy troops that operate much in the same style as Farsight. Resources are limited since they're usually on long, drawn out campaigns. Because of this, I'm self imposing the Farsight FO restrictions, but didn't want to actually take Farsight himself, so don't get any of the benefits.

List elements are in Black, fluff elements are in blue, and tactics are in red.

Shas'El w/

While still young by Tau standards, and not yet experienced enough to earn himself the proper Shas'O title, Commander Firebrand is well loved by his cadre, and they have no problems with referring to him as Shas'O. Firebrand grew up on the same planet as O'Shovah, and heard of the many great exploits accomplished by the now outcast Commander. Firebrand grew to idolize O'Shovah, and in his eyes, he could do no wrong. Firebrand studied the tactics and battle plans of O'Shovah time and time again, memorizing every last detail to near perfection. To this day, Firebrand is known for his complete lack of mercy on the battlefield and near fanatical devotion to warfare. While unstable at times, Firebrand has thus far produced only positive results. While he has at times taken near mortal wounds, he always recovers quickly and is back on the battlefield, leading his troops from the front lines.

In battle, Firebrand utilizes the weaponry choices of his two Crisis Suit teams. However, instead of specializing in a single weapon like they do, Firebrand is skilled enough to operate both weapon systems to full effect at the same time, and still retains most of the accuracy claimed by the Crisis Teams.

Standard Fireknife Shas'El combination. I've considered swapping the Missile Pod to a Cyclic Ion Blaster, as that would more suit his character, but since I'm new to Tau, I decided to stick with what has been tried and true. Also, the Missile Pod ties him in with squad Savon.

I love this guy exactly as is. I always take a S'El this way, he will not let you down. As far as the CIB goes, it is a great weapon against hordes and light infantry, but generally you have the weapons already on your list to deal with those things (think Sub shots from hammerhead and FW's) so i would keep him as is.

2x Crisis Suits w/

Savon team are some of the most accurate warriors in the cadre. Because of their unnatural talent with ranged weaponry, they're given the task of destroying high priority targets, such as transports and enemy skimmers. They also function as a harassing unit, using their long range firepower to slow down advancing enemy troops.

Deathrains. Twin-linked and Targetting Arrays means an 88% chance to hit with each Missile (I learned that here! Wheee!). That should be enough to blow holes in any transport or light skimmer, and still packs enough of a punch to threaten Monstrous Creatures and light infantry. I love them because they're cheap and dangerous.

Again, I love these guys. As you already said, they put the hurt on in a big way, are ridiculously accurate and if used as you intend to use them (judging by your fluff) they are one of the units that you can generally relyon to survive the game.

Crisis Team 'Phera'Pol' - 195
    3x Crisis Suits w/
    Twin Linked Plasma Rifles; Targetting Array

Phera'Pol squad are the workhorses. They follow right behind the Kor units, taking down any targets that might prove to be too tough for the Fire Warriors to handle alone. Their high strength weaponry is perfectly suited to this task, and they're not afraid to close this distance and get their hands dirty.

I originally had Plasma/Fusion combination here, but decided I really hated the BS3. After doing some quick math, I decided that Twinlinking the Plasmas allowed me to swap the Multi-trackers for Targetting Arrays. Firepower goes down a bit, but hit rate goes WAY up, making them far deadlier, and the cost increase is negligable (only 3 points). Because of the increased Ballistic Skill and Twin-Linking, the Fusion Blaster is not missed at all. The team is far deadlier in the 13" to 24" range, and is actually slightly more efficient in the 1" to 12" range. The only thing they lose is the ability to snipe T4, multi-wound models, and bust tanks. But those two jobs can fall to other units.

I expect great things from this squad.

I have tried this config out and had mixed results. Eventually i ended up swaping out the extra pulse rifle for MP's and Fusions. When they work, they really do work a treat, but i generally found that i was always wishing for a bit of extra anit armour in the form of a Fusion.

What i would like to suggest (which hopefully will fit your fluff) is changing one of these guys out into a Helios pattern Monat suit (PR/F and keeping the other two the same. THe fluff would go something along the lines of "Insert name here, the rashest and boldest of the cadre. Is being groomed to take charge of the cadre if and when something happens to your shas. Uses the Helios format and is a little more bloodthirsty etc etc etc

I think that would be nice fluff wise and would give you a bit more beef all over the board. You could use him in support of the other two PR's or in his own role as you saw fit.

Working as a matched pair, both 'Kor' units are tasked with engaging the enemy before they can reach the Tau lines. To accomplish this, they've been equipped with the two remaining Devilfish in the Cadre. Without the resources to perform proper upkeep on the Devilfish, they're equipped with only what the cadre has avaliable at the time.

Standard Fish of Fury stuff going on here. The Bonding Knife is added in to help solidify the Farsight theme. The Devilfish are given only the most necessary upgrades, and kept cheap. Besides, I like the Gun Drones.

My preferance is for SMS on your Fish, but if you want to keep em cheap then this is pretty much spot on what i would take. SMS just make em a little more deadly in game play, but the burst cannons do the job as well.

Fire Warrior team 'Fio'Thera' - 120 points
    8x Fire Warriors
    Shas'ui w/ HW Drone Controller, 2x Gun Drones; Markerlight

The first of the static firebase units. The Fio team is tasked with holding the Tau's deployment zone, and protect the oft-threatened Broadsides from incoming infiltrators. Due to battle losses, the team is forced to make use of Drones to keep themselves at near full strength.

While not particularly effective, I like the idea of a unit on the ground holding my own deployment zone. Markerlights are given since they're static, and the range is good enough that the Shas'ui can hit most of the board. If need be, they'll counter-charge incoming units to allow time for the Broadsides to relocate out of danger.

I actually like these guys, in the role of supporting your Broadside. The markerlight is a good option for a static FW unit, but i would suggest dropping the Drone controller for the Target Lock. There are plenty of occasions where you wont want to shoot that markerlight at the same unit the FW's are shooting at. It has the ability to help out your broadside, your Hammer and well pretty much all your 'punchy' units, so yeah, the ability for him to shoot at a different target is REALLY beneficial

Originally I had two units of foot sloggers, but one was dropped for points. Those points were spent beefing up Phera'Pol squad, and purchasing a nice unit of DSing Gun Drones. While not the most effective of squads, I like them because they add some character to the army.

Gun Drone Squad - 72 points
    6x Gun Drones w/ Pulse Carbines

Firebrand's forces are always short on resources, both material and bodily, so must make use of every gun he can. To this end, he's taken various Gun Drones from the armoury and programmed them to operate independantly. Though the squad is small, it's proven to be highly effective at disrupting enemy movements, and has even destroyed an enemy tank from time to time.

I've always wanted to see how well a DSing group of Gun Drones worked. Their main use is to Deep Strike behind enemy lines, either capturing objectives or unloading Pulse Carbines into the rear armour of enemy tanks. They can also be used to force Target Priority checks. My only wish is to up the squad size, but I can't justify taking points from anywhere else in the list.

Yeah these guys rock. A shame you can't get 2 more in there, but well thats the way it goes sometimes. Dsing them is a great tactic, but so is using them in conjunction with your HQ.......Independant charecter rule and all that. Either way, i never leave home without some drones.

Hammerhead Gunship 'Lucky Lady' - 165 points
    Railgun; 2x Burst Cannons; Multi-Tracker; Decoy Launchers

Named the Lucky Lady (Not sure of Tau Translation - any help?) due to it's uncanny ability to always survive any engagement. Firebrand has taken to using the Lucky Lady as a decoy, since he's convinced that it'll never be destroyed.

Standard Railhead configuration. While the fluff suggests I'll be throwing it out to the wolves, standard tactics will be to use cover and pick targets of opportunity as they arrive.

Love it, keep as is. Not much more to say.

Seeker Missiles; Burst Cannons; Decoy Launchers; Targetting Array; Multi-tracker

Named the 'Northwestern' because every last Seeker Missile fired from this Skyray unerringly flies off into the distance, only to turn around and approach it's target from the Northwest. The Earth caste is at a loss to explain this phenomenon, but believe it to be a glitch in the targetting circutry. Removing and replacing the Targetting Array might fix the issue, but for the time being, the missiles still arrive at their destination, so Firebrand has put the fix off in favour of more pressing concerns.

Again, a matter where the fluff is just that - fluff. No, the Seeker Missiles always count as coming from the Skyray, but it was a neat idea I liked, so I'm going with it. The Skyray will mostly be used for Markerlight support, throwing off it's Seeker Missiles as fast as possible. When those are expended, it'll start throwing out Burst Cannon shots, and Markerlighting other important enemy units.

This guys is great too. Helps with your markers (in fact he is pretty much your markerlight support so take care of him

Broadside team 'Mal'caor' - 170 points
    Team Leader w/ HW Target Lock

The last piece of the static firebase. Experimental suits built with four legs each, the Broadsides often times surprise enemies with their increased agility and astounding firepower.

Anti-tank team. I really want to include Broadsides, as I love the models and really want to try my hand at converting some to have four legs each. One is upgraded to a Shas'vre and given a Target Lock, for the ability to smash two tanks a turn if need be. Shield Drones were passed on, as I find them to be expensive, and cover is cheap. I plan on running these guys much like how I run my Obliterators.

No probs with these guys either........i also would like to see some shield drones on them, it really does make them a LOT harder to kill. Use them in conjunction with your FW's and just remember not to let them get left behind by the rest of your fast moving list.

All totalled, the list is 1500 points even. I've managed to get one squad in each of the FO slots, which is a rare occurance for me.

So yeah, i like the list, I think it has real potential.

I really do LOVE the fluff, sorry i can't help you out with Tau translation. I translate it into Spanish if you really want.......but you probably don't.

Have fun
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    I really do LOVE the fluff, sorry i can't help you out with Tau translation. I translate it into Spanish if you really want.......but you probably don't.
    Hah, I actually speak/read Spanish. At least, a little bit. Enough to get by. Heh.

So, I've made a few quick changes to the list. So far, four different people have told me the 3rd Plasma Suit is a bad idea, so I've begrudgingly dropped him. Used the point for various upgrades in the list.

Arakiaz: Thanks for the idea. While I like the fluff, I decided to go a different route, and use the points to purchase upgrades for the Broads and Gundrones instead. If I ever expand the army, I'll probably take that idea and use a Monat suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arakiaz
    First: You can't just call you Shas'El for Shas'O in his name that is wrong....
    Sure I can. I actually have a very valid fluff reason for it, though I can't take credit for it. Our resident Drake gave me a wonderful idea for expanding upon the history of Firebrand, but I haven't fully fleshed it out and dont' want to spill the beans quite yet. But, I do have a reason for why the cadre refers to him as Shas'O, even though his actual title is Shas'El.

Edit -
    One other change was made - Phera'Pol squad was split up into two Monat suits. Fluff wise they're still part of the same team, but gamewise this allows them to operate seperately, and avoids all the LMS and Morale issues. Neato!

(Army Edit Notes - feel free to ignore, they're just tracking notes for myself)
    Phera'Pol from 3 to 2, split team. 65.
    2x SD for BASS. 35.
    +2 GD. 11.
    TL for Rail. 6.
    TL for Fio. 1.

Edit again -
    Fireknives > Burning Eyes. Sad, but true. Better in all ways. Burning Eyes swapped out for Fireknives.
    Last edited by Caluin; March 14th, 2007 at 07:20.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

[/COLOR]
    Shas'El w/

I like the suit fit, its pretty safe, personally I would go for the Helios Multi, but thats just me, I prefer the insta kill and tank popping ability that comes with the enhanced BS and fusion.
    The fluff just does not sit right to me, I honestly believe that they would have a problem referring to him as a Shas,O, the Tau are strictly confined by their caste system and they have a very rigid hierarchical strictly defined command structure, and I do not believe that they would just abandon those years of training and indoctrination, just because they are isolated, yeah Farsight does things differently but I believe he still runs the same basic command structure. Its just he has not totally foregone hand to hand.
    Also the bit about fanatical devotion well all Fire caste Tau are fanatical warriors, its what they are bred to do, the bit about mercy is fair enough but I think it would still be tempered with the tactical training of the Tau.
    I also find it a bit hard to believe that an army as strictly governed by its ethical viewpoint (greater good) would follow an unhinged leader, how could an unhinged leader make sound decisions, it would be contrary to the greater good of the Tau as a whole (or at least the band of isolated Tau in your cadre), I know Farsight is rumoured to be possessed but I still think he is sound mentally and not unhinged, I don't think his cadre would follow him if he was.

2x Crisis Suits w/

I love Deathrains so no complaints here and I like the fluff, though I would say "their years of devotion to the arts of war has resulted in an uncanny ability to destroy anyone who opposes the greater good"

Crisis Team 'Phera'Pol' - 62 x 2 (Total 124)
    1x Crisis Suit w/

1x Crisis Suit w/

Army Edit notes -
    Team has been split up into two Monat suits. This way they can operate independantly if need be, or can join up to combine firepower. Also avoids LMS and Morale tests.
    Personally I don't like twin linked Plasma, but saying that I think its pretty obvious your not wanting these for anti armour but more for anti MEQ, which they will excel at, The only problem I have with them is this 4 shots even twin linked is not going to do a lot of damage to a unit and a 24" its even worse, at least with the Fireknife you have range and a bit more shot volume and with Helios you have some serious anti armour and potent insta kill ability (by the way you can take the team leader option and have PL/FU/TA and HW multi for BS3 for 77pts), me I would have two monat Helios multi's at 77pts, I also think they fit the fluff of your list better, something along the lines of:

After an extended period of time separated from the Tau empire and all its resources, the two XV88 Shas'Ui pilots (insert names here) have had to endure the loss of their bonded compatriots, they are now 'Monat' and have forsaken the ranged warfare of their kin and operate as 'lone wolves' ranging out in front of their cadre, getting close to the enemy and striking at the heart of the enemy, destroying valuable armour and specialising in harassing the enemy HQ and elite units with no mind to their own safety

I like these, though I would lose the bonding knives and use the points to make the XV8's 77pts helios like I advised, apart from that nice

8x Fire Warriors

Yeah seems as good a use as any for foot sloggers.

I have deep struck drones before and they have had mixed results, I had fun against world eaters with them but overall they are not effective, I think they work much better as a free roaming unit just deployed normally, I would also consider having these as a support for your Shas'El because again it fits the fluff:
    After losing his faithful bodyguards in a battle against a vicious feral Ork warband, Firebrand has taken to using a unit of drones as his personnel close support unit, the drones have been reprogrammed to be absolutely loyal to firebrand and firebrand alone and they will wilingly sacrifice themselves to preserve their leader

Hammerhead Gunship 'Lucky Lady' - 170 points
    Railgun; 2x Burst Cannons; Multi-Tracker; Decoy Launchers; Target Lock

Nothing wrong here apart from the target lock, Cal dude you know the drill if your close enough to use BC's you played it wrong or your HH is going down, I hope your not going to stick this in harms way just to fit the fluff, keep it at distance.

Skyray is noce and I like the fluff, errant seekers with a mind of their own, nice

Broadside team 'Mal'caor' - 200 points
    Team Leader w/ HW Target Lock; HW Drone Controller & 2x Shield Drones

I question the use of the shield drones, if your using the FW as a buffer and the XV88 should always be deployed in cover anyway (cover saves), I would use the 30 points to bolster the FW unit thats protecting them, it will give the FW team more ablative wounds (important if your going to charge a unit in CC and helps to preserve the ML) and more firepower to pour into any unit that is getting close, 4 legged XV88's mmm that I gotta see.

All totalled, the list is 1494 points. I've managed to get one squad in each of the FO slots, which is a rare occurance for me.

I am not sure what the total points are for the changes I recommend but I think it should be very close to 1500pts, if its a bit over lose a FW or two
    Nice list, with a few tweaks it wil be even better and fluffier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    The fluff just does not sit right to me, I honestly believe that they would have a problem referring to him as a Shas,O, the Tau are strictly confined by their caste system and they have a very rigid hierarchical strictly defined command structure, and I do not believe that they would just abandon those years of training and indoctrination, just because they are isolated, yeah Farsight does things differently but I believe he still runs the same basic command structure. Its just he has not totally foregone hand to hand.
    Ack! You guys are killing me!

Okay, I admit it's a bit farfetched, but I do have a reason as to why. I'll run it by you, and let me know if it makes it any better. The idea was given to me by our resident Drake of Fire, and I liked it well enough to run with it.

Firebrand was originally named Brightsword. Now, as far as I know, Brightsword was the only Commander to ever be censured for his actions. The fluff in the Tau Codex never specifically states what happened to Brightsword afterwards, so it was imagined that he took on a whole new title to help him escape his past transgressions. It can also be imagined that Brightsword was a Shas'O, but was 'demoted' after his censuring, and is obviously never likely to get his title back. So he takes on a new name, surrounds himself with the most loyal of his cadre, and then embarks to find his original mentor, Farsight. That's where I've left it.

Now, I realize it's usually fluff-heresy to take existing characters and use them to suit your own needs, but in my defense, the Tau Codex never does say what happened to Brightsword after his censuring.

I also realize that the original fluff written above for him doesn't quite match up, but that's because I haven't fully worked it all out yet. I wrote that up above before being given the idea of Brightsword.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that an army as strictly governed by its ethical viewpoint (greater good) would follow an unhinged leader, how could an unhinged leader make sound decisions, it would be contrary to the greater good of the Tau as a whole (or at least the band of isolated Tau in your cadre), I know Farsight is rumoured to be possessed but I still think he is sound mentally and not unhinged, I don't think his cadre would follow him if he was.
    I'm not saying Firebrand is downright crazy. Though looking back, I can see how I might've given that impression. By 'unstable at times' I simply meant that he was hot-headed and rash. Very quick to anger.

Yeah seems as good a use as any for foot sloggers.
    Some people have advised me to try finding points to swap out the Gun Drones for Markerlight Drones. Personally, I think that's far too expensive for what the unit will give in return.
    Nothing wrong here apart from the target lock, Cal dude you know the drill if your close enough to use BC's you played it wrong or your HH is going down, I hope your not going to stick this in harms way just to fit the fluff, keep it at distance.
    It was just because at one point I had five extra points, and little else to spend it on. Seemed as good of a place as any.

I question the use of the shield drones, if your using the FW as a buffer and the XV88 should always be deployed in cover anyway (cover saves),
    Hah, that's interesting. Out of the comments I've gotten so far, you're the first to say 'drop the shield drones.' In fact, originally the Broadsides didn't have Shield Drones, but so many people said they should have them, that I made cuts for that reason.

Very interesting.

Thanks so far Riki and everyone else. Lots to think about. I especially appreciate the fluff additions that people are suggesting - they're great!
    Last edited by Caluin; March 16th, 2007 at 20:30.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Ack! You guys are killing me!

Okay, I admit it's a bit farfetched, but I do have a reason as to why. I'll run it by you, and let me know if it makes it any better. The idea was given to me by our resident Drake of Fire, and I liked it well enough to run with it.

Firebrand was originally named Brightsword. Now, as far as I know, Brightsword was the only Commander to ever be censured for his actions. The fluff in the Tau Codex never specifically states what happened to Brightsword afterwards, so it was imagined that he took on a whole new title to help him escape his past transgressions. It can also be imagined that Brightsword was a Shas'O, but was 'demoted' after his censuring, and is obviously never likely to get his title back. So he takes on a new name, surrounds himself with the most loyal of his cadre, and then embarks to find his original mentor, Farsight. That's where I've left it.

Now, I realize it's usually fluff-heresy to take existing characters and use them to suit your own needs, but in my defense, the Tau Codex never does say what happened to Brightsword after his censuring.

I also realize that the original fluff written above for him doesn't quite match up, but that's because I haven't fully worked it all out yet. I wrote that up above before being given the idea of Brightsword.
    I dont agree, its good to see someone take some time and effort and come up with a good background story, however can I make a suggestion RE fluff:

Brightsword had taken the loss of his mentor O'Shova as he would the loss of a father, worse still he had to listen to the constant vilification and slurring of O'Shovahs good name,
    Brightsword saw O'Shovah as the only hope for the Tau empire and his loss was a grievous wound which was hard to recover from.
    After many Kai,Rotaa enduring the unendurable taint of his mentors name and reputation, Brightsword came to a decision, one not reached lightly and one which would mean his possible banishment from the Tau empire, this was nothing to be taken lightly for despite his feelings of bitterness surrounding the denouncement of his mentor, he still loved and was loyal to the Tau empire.
    However he could not stand idly by and speculate with the other Tau leadership on the whereabouts and motivation behind O'Shovahs disappearance.,
    Brightsword knew he commanded the utmost loyalty and respect from his cadre and he would surely put this loyalty to the test when he asked of them the ultimate sacrifice, 'to put aside the greater good of the Tau empire'
    Brightsword convened a meeting of his full cadre and as was his fashion he bluntly and directly outlined his concerns for O'Shovah, he explained with great passion his shame at the way the Tau vilified the honourable name and reputation of O'Shovah, their mentor and father, and outlined his proposal to lead a quest to find his mentor.
    To his great relief and pride his Cadre raised there weapons high and cried the name of O'Shovah 6 times to the heavens, thus signifying their total acceptance of their leaders desire to embark on the quest to reclaim truth and honour for O'Shovah and all who lived under his name.
    Brightsword knew that his name already carried some stigma, so he decided to lead the quest with a new name one which would allow him to carry out his quest free from the taint of his former name, with a pure determination and the strength of pure conviction that what he did, he did for the right reasons.
    He took the name Firebrand becasue with the fire of his convictions and belief in his mentor he would go forth and restore the reputation and honour associated with the name Farsight

Thats my take on the background, though I would say one thing, if firebrand was a Shas'El while studying under O'Shovah, I think he would remain a Shas'El simply becasue his mentor had not given him he rank of Shas'O, he would remain El until he found his mentor.

I'm not saying Firebrand is downright crazy. Though looking back, I can see how I might've given that impression. By 'unstable at times' I simply meant that he was hot-headed and rash. Very quick to anger.
    Fair enough, I think the hot-hotheadedness would not be tolerated though, I would go for something along the lines of:

Firebrand would tolerate nothing standing in the path of his search for his mentor, with the strength of pure conviction and unshakable belief he would utterly and unforgivingly crush any who opposed his momentum, many stories arose around the many crushing and total defeats he rained down on the many enemies who stood in his way, and as happens many stories arose of a ruthless, merciless often down right hot headed fanatical leader, though this was and still remains far from the truth.

Some people have advised me to try finding points to swap out the Gun Drones for Markerlight Drones. Personally, I think that's far too expensive for what the unit will give in return.
    No in fact it may even make more sense to take another Gun drone squadron in place of the FW, yeah you would lose a ML, but drones are surprisingly good in CC and they can move forward 6" shoot (for an effective range of 24") and then jump back, just a thought, but I would not swap out the gundrones just leave the squad as is if you dont use the drone squad idea (the drones also fit the fluff as well, using drones to make up for FW losses)

It was just because at one point I had five extra points, and little else to spend it on. Seemed as good of a place as any.
    Well I would advise spending the 5pts somewhere else, like a blacksun on an XV8 or the HH or something

Hah, that's interesting. Out of the comments I've gotten so far, you're the first to say 'drop the shield drones.' In fact, originally the Broadsides didn't have Shield Drones, but so many people said they should have them, that I made cuts for that reason.

Very interesting.
    Shield drones are great until you lose them and then your taking LDS tests, and they simply are not that effective, If I see shield drones I simply hose them down with small arms fire becasue even with 2+ saves they will die. The last thing you want is your Broadsides falling back (yeah I know you have ASS but its still not good) you can find better use for the 30 points trust me.

Thanks so far Riki and everyone else. Lots to think about. I especially appreciate the fluff additions that people are suggesting - they're great!
    No problem I love the fluff and I am enjoying coming up with some myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Thats my take on the background, though I would say one thing, if firebrand was a Shas'El while studying under O'Shovah, I think he would remain a Shas'El simply becasue his mentor had not given him he rank of Shas'O, he would remain El until he found his mentor.
    Ah, but Brightsword was once a Commander. He was Commander Brightsword during the Nimbosa campaign, just before his censuring.

Perhaps, if just to make fluff fit the army list, I'll have to swap him out for a Shas'O. Maybe make him a Ninj'O so he can fit the Hand to Hand fluff a bit better.

But I love the fluff you wrote, Riki. I think I might stea... er, use it.

I'll have an updated list before the end of tonight.

Shield drones are great until you lose them and then your taking LDS tests, and they simply are not that effective, If I see shield drones I simply hose them down with small arms fire becasue even with 2+ saves they will die. The last thing you want is your Broadsides falling back (yeah I know you have ASS but its still not good) you can find better use for the 30 points trust me.
    With just two Broadsides, you start taking LMS tests after two wounds (one death). If you add two Drones into the mix, you now have 6 wounds in the unit, and since you need to lose four wounds to start taking Morale tests, that leaves you at the same point as the LMS tests.

Unless you mean the 25% casualty tests, which I'm not horribly concerned over. If a Lascannon hits the unit, I'd rather lose a drone and risk a single morale test than have to start taking LMS tests every turn. Anything that kills off both drones would have killed off a full suit if they weren't there, which puts them at even worse odds than a 25% test.

However, if I end up needing 30 points, I'll definitly look here first. As said - cover is cheap, drones are not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

With just two Broadsides, you start taking LMS tests after two wounds (one death). If you add two Drones into the mix, you now have 6 wounds in the unit, and since you need to lose four wounds to start taking Morale tests, that leaves you at the same point as the LMS tests.

Unless you mean the 25% casualty tests, which I'm not horribly concerned over. If a Lascannon hits the unit, I'd rather lose a drone and risk a single morale test than have to start taking LMS tests every turn. Anything that kills off both drones would have killed off a full suit if they weren't there, which puts them at even worse odds than a 25% test.

However, if I end up needing 30 points, I'll definitly look here first. As said - cover is cheap, drones are not.
    That's pretty much how i feel about them too Cal, for me Broadsides and sheild drones go together like fish and chips........Hot dogs and mustard........depending on what side of the atlantic your on.

As for the extra five points, i am complete agreement with Riki. Drop the TL and whack a Black sun filter on either the hammerhead or one of your suits (I normally put em on my hammerheads and commanders when i have left over points. But i don't know how that affects your fluff......it probably doesn't).

I look forward to seeing the updated list.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Updated list - thanks everyone so far, and anyone else who would like to chime in.

Shas'O Vior'la Suam'mesa Sav'Siral (Commander Firebrand) - 135 points
    Shas'O w/
    Plasma Rifle; Cyclic Ion Blaster; Vectored Thrusters, Stimulant Injectors; HW Multi-tracker

Firebrand, formerly known as Commander Brightsword. Thought to have been killed during the Es'tau occuptation incident, Brightsword barely managed to survive; however it required the sacrifice of one of his dearest friends and compatriots. Brightsword thinks that the Auns had a hand in his near death experience, believing that the Celestial caste found it appropriate to have him removed before a possible second renegade band threatened their vision of the Greater Good. To this day, Brightsword has never forgiven them for the attempt upon his life, nor the death of one of his greatest friends.

Realizing that he'd never be safe if Aun'Va knew he was alive, Brightsword adopted a new name and persona - Firebrand. Leaving his shattered and broken Crisis Suit behind at the site of his 'death,' Firebrand rallied up the remains of his cadre. Firebrand knew that if he stayed in Tau space, he'd eventually be found out. Instead, he's decided to pursue a different path towards the Greater Good - one that leads further away from the ideals and accepted practices of the Celestials, and towards those embraced by the renegade faction lead by Farsight. His last act before leaving on his crusade was to 'commandeer' an experimental suit to replace the one he had lost.

Very few in the cadre, and none outside, know of Firebrand's true indentity. The cadre follows Firebrand, thinking they're on a mission to find and recover Farsight, and convince him to return to the Third Sphere peacefully. Firebrand hopes to have enough time between now and meeting up with Farsight to convince his cadre that sometimes the Greater Good does not always mean following the Celestials. Firebrand's greatest fear is finding Farsight early, and the conflict ending up in bloodshed between those in his cadre that won't accept his ideals.

Recent tales speak of Firebrand's aggressive demeanor and ruthless tactics on the battlefield. Most tales revolve around unnecessary bloodshed and brutal, near barbaric applications of extreme firepower. As most war stories are, these tales tend to be over exaggerated.

Changed a bit. I wanted something that makes him stand out above the rest of the suits. Something that says - "I'm not just your regular Crisis - I have something special!" The Fireknife pattern can be the domain of Ro. So I made him into a Ninj'O, that can support the Devilfish if need be, or act as a close range harrasser. I took the Cyclic just for giggles - I really dislike Fusion Blasters, for some reason. That, and I like the look of the CIB on a commander model.

Shas'El Au'Taal Ro'Doran (Sub-Commander Ro) - 100 points
    Shas'El w/
    Plasma Rifle; Missile Pod; Targetting Array, HW Multi-tracker; HW Blacksun Filter

Sub-Commander Ro, often times referred to as "The Calming Mind", though not officially a noble of any sort, has proven herself to be a loyal and capable compatriot of Firebrand. She alone knows the full extent of Firebrand's history and vision, and accepts it whole-heartedly.

Firebrand, seeing her extensive battlefield prowess, has given her a battlefield promotion to the rank of Shas'El. The cadre treats her in every respect as a secondary commander, defering only to Firebrand above her. Ro is tasked with the overall application of the XV88 and armour elements of the cadre.

Secondary 'El, pulled from squad Phera'Pol.

Crisis Team 'Savon' - 53 points x2 (Total: 106)
    Crisis Suit w/

Crisis Suit w/

Savon team cosists of some of the most accurate warriors in the cadre. Savon are unique amongst the Crisis teams due to their preference for a single weapons system. They feel that with the proper application of a weapon system, one can destroy any foe before them. A secondary weapon system only serves to distract from the task at hand, and therefore is shunned.

As well as their extensive skill with the Missile Pods, Savon has adopted a unique fighting style. Instead of combining firepower at a single foe until it is destroyed, Savon works independantly of each other. This style has allowed them to strike from multiple angles at the same target, or destroy targets twice as fast from the same position.

Split into two Monat suits to make better use of the FO chart. Fluff changed slightly to reflect that.

Crisis Team 'Phera'Pol' - 77
    1x Crisis Suit Team Leader (Shas'ui R'myr) w/
    TL Plasma Rifle; Missile Pod; HW Multi-tracker

Squad Phera'Pol was originally three men strong, but is now reduced to only a single member. Sub-Commander Ro was originally part of Phera'Pol, before her promotion. The other member of the team was lost upon Es'Tau, circumstances unknown. Both of these incidents has made R'myr extremely bitter and reclusive. While R'myr knows of Firebrand's heritage, he believes that Firebrand/Brightsword left his squad mate to die upon Es'Tau on purpose, to act as a decoy and fool Aun'Va into believing Brightsword was dead. Unfortunately, R'myr has no proof of this, but he continues to brood over it daily.

R'myr also resents Ro for her promotion, believing himself to be the better of the two. Being the team leader of Phera'Pol, R'myr should have been the candidate for promotion, but instead he was passed over by someone of lesser rank than him. This has caused great amounts of jealousy that borders upon hatred. However, R'myr is careful not to let his feelings show, so Firebrand and Ro are unaware of his true feelings.

R'myr is unaware of the over all goals of Firebrand, but it is likely that he'll be the first to turn on Firebrand when the time comes. Firebrand realizes this, but is so far at a loss on how to connect with R'myr and convince him of the Greater Good.

Whee! New fluff! Let's add some conflict into the cadre! Also, I decided to go with the TL Plasma/ML combination to differentiate him from Sub-Commander Ro, so that there's some individuality amongst all the suits.

Fire Warrior team 'Kor'Thera' - 185 points
    9x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles

Fire Warrior team 'Kor'Unusu' - 185 points
    9x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles

Still standard stuff here. Ended up having to drop on member per team. I hate doing it, but I was 20 points over and at a loss of where to put them. Targetting Arrays on the Devilfish were dropped to free up even more points.

8x Fire Warriors

Team Fio'Thera is the firebase. Their task is to hold the Tau's deployment zone and offer a measure of protection to the Broadsides. The Shas'ui is unique, as he is responsible for the activity of all Fire Warriors in the cadre. As this is a big task, he does not board one of the Devilfish units and instead helps control the flow of battle from the back lines. Due to battle loses, the unit is forced to make use of Gun Drones to keep their unit at full strength.

No change here, just an addition to the fluff of the unit.

Firebrand's forces are always short on resources, both material and bodily, so must make use of every gun he can. To this end, he's taken various Gun Drones from the armoury and programmed them to operate independantly. Though the squad is small, it's proven to be highly effective at disrupting enemy movements, and has even destroyed an enemy tank from time to time. Firebrand has also had a 'loyalty' subroutine programmed into these particular drones. This allows Firebrand to use the drones as a make shift bodyguard if need be, of which he doesn't need to concern himself about battle losses.

No change here, either. Just a small change in the fluff.

Hammerhead Gunship 'Lucky Lady' - 165 points
    Railgun; 2x Burst Cannons; Multi-Tracker; Decoy Launchers

Dropped the Target Lock to free up points.

Named the 'Northwestern' because every last Seeker Missile fired from this Skyray unerringly flies off into the distance, only to turn around and approach it's target from the Northwest. The Earth caste technicians are at a loss to explain this phenomenon, but believe it to be a glitch in the targetting circutry. Removing and replacing the Targetting Array might fix the issue, but for the time being, the missiles still arrive at their destination, so Firebrand has put the fix off in favour of more pressing concerns.

No change here, either.

Broadside team 'Mal'caor' - 170 points
    TL Railguns; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilisation System
    Team Leader w/ HW Target Lock

Someone accepted my challenge, and managed to show me a better use of the points for the drones.
    Last edited by Caluin; March 17th, 2007 at 20:04. Reason: Spelling, formatting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast