1500, Semi-competetive. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500, Semi-competetive.

Here's an idea I've been kicking around for a while. The idea was to come up with some thing that was extremely fast and used Raveners (My favorite underused unit) as a centerpiece. Because I wanted the list to maintain a sort of snake-like theme yet remain somewhat viable, I decided to add a Malanthrope and a Trygon.

I've forgon the use of many staple 'Nids, but the only real weakness I see for this list is skimmers as I have no BS's or VC's to shoot with. However, Zoans and Trygon should make mincemeat of anything that isn't a skimmer. Troops should easily be handled by Raveners and Mr. Malanthrope.

Exactly 1500pts:

HQ
    140ptsMalanthrope
    1 Malanthrope

Troops
    77ptsSpine Ripper Swarm
    7 Ripper Bases: Spinefists
    60ptsRipper Swarm
    6 Ripper Bases
    60ptsRipper Swarm
    6 Ripper Bases

Fast Attack
    240ptsRavener Brood
    6 Raveners: ST, RC
    240ptsRavener Brood
    6 Raveners: ST, RC
    228ptsRavener Brood
    6 Raveners: ST x 2

Heavy Support
    165ptsZoanthrope Brood
    3 Zoanthropes: WB
    290ptsTrygon
    1 Trygon

Last edited by Hunter Killer; April 10th, 2007 at 03:20.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate forgeworld...what a disgrace to the game lol.
    --When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car.
    -Jack Handey

D.M.I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't. They make beautiful models, and their rules expand the game. Erm... And I fail to see how this discussion helps me with the army.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Why do you have extended carapaces on Rippers, its not going to make a lick of difference.

@ Furbifex, Your being extremely rude to the ideas and the people here.
    Last edited by Pathofskulls; April 10th, 2007 at 05:12.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point filler. I had 7 points I didn't know what to do with, so a gave them EC. It's either that our turn them into Spinefist Rippers. Who in the world has that many Spine Ripper bases?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Just cut up spinefists for your gaunts and creatively glue them on to the rippers/mold them onto the rippers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a copy of the Imperial Armour book, so can I ask for the benefit of those of us who don't own it - are Malanthropes and Trygons synapse creatures? If they aren't then you're low on those. Your Raveners have good Leadership but they still have to test if they're out of range. I like your list though - it is very different, very interesting.

One thing I want to ask, is there any particular reason why you have the Rippers in 3 units instead of 6? I think it's especially important with rippers to deny your opponent easy shooting kills. Bear in mind they take double wounds when hit with strength 6 and above, a whole base is killed if they are hit with a blast weapon, and if you hit them with a strength 6 or higher blast then each wound wipes out 2 bases. It only takes 3 wounds from such a weapon to wipe out an entire troops choice from your list (ok, 4 if the larger one). If you had 5 groups of 3 and 1 of 4 it would take 2 such wounds to knock out a unit but each round of fire would have the potential to do much less damage to your Troops section. The greater number of units also helps with any other enemy shooting and with assaults too (your enemies have to split their attacks, etc.)
    Tyranids / Skaven / Pan Oceania

UK Student? Take part in the Student Nationals at Sheffield University, the weekend after Easter weekend 2008 - wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, board games - see www.studentnationals.org for more details!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the Trygon is a Synapse Creature, but I know the Malanthrope is. I'll have to check.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what malanthropes and trygon are (I don't have those rules). So, since I don't know what they do take my advice with a grain of salt.

You don't need synapse coverage at all, every unit has LD 10 and rippers are fearless. So, generally a carnifex is a better option than the thropes. It has longer range, and can be used as anti-tank a lot sooner. Most people who use thropes are doing so specifically for synapse coverage, otherwise they would use a fex.

Your raveners seem really vulnerable, they can get shot up very easily. Maybe drop a few, maybe give them devourers. And, a Lictor or two could be really good. They can tie up a couple squads to try and protect the raveners. And, they will let you get the raveners on the table sooner. (Or later if you want.) Hit and run is a nifty ability, you might find it very useful in certain situations.

Rippers have such a horrible BS, I'd drop the spinefists and spend the points on something else. I'd also think about giving them leaping, that may tie up some squads sooner to help protect the fragile raveners. It also helps them get to other squads once their initial target is dead.

I hope that helps!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Rippers have such a horrible BS, I'd drop the spinefists and spend the points on something else. I'd also think about giving them leaping, that may tie up some squads sooner to help protect the fragile raveners. It also helps them get to other squads once their initial target is dead.
    That may be true that there BS is horrible, but don't forget that the spinefist is twin-linked, and with pure number of shots, you'll do quite well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast