Tau vs Imperial Guard (1k points) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau vs Imperial Guard (1k points)

I play a friend who uses Imperial Guard, and he seems to be planning on using piles of heavy bolters to smite my fire warriors, with maybe mortars/basilisks to ruin my day.
    Here's a copy of my list:

Shas’o
    Cyclic ion blaster, shield generator, plasma rifle, HW multi tracker, iridium armour, stimulant injector.

Shas’vre:
    Missile pod, airburst fragmentation launcher, HW multi tracker, targeting array, target lock & bonding knife
    Shas’ui:
    Missile pod, plasma rifle & multi-tracker

4 XV25 Stealth suits
    Two targeting arrays, two blacksun filters

12 Fire Warriors
    2 pulse carbines, 10 pulse rifles
    Shas’ui, bonding knife, marker drone

12 Fire Warriors
    2 Pulse carbines, 10 pulse rifles
    Shas’ui, bonding knife

Hammerhead Gunship
    Railgun, 2 burst cannons, multi-tracker, decoy launchers

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
    Advanced stabilisation system

That's the lot at the minute, comes to bang on 1k points, any info on how I can avoid getting savaged by heavy bolters and indirect fire? (he may be drop podding alot too...)
    Thanks for any info in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophora View Post
    I play a friend who uses Imperial Guard, and he seems to be planning on using piles of heavy bolters to smite my fire warriors, with maybe mortars/basilisks to ruin my day.
    Here's a copy of my list:

Shas’o
    Cyclic ion blaster, shield generator, plasma rifle, HW multi tracker, iridium armour, stimulant injector.

Shas’vre:
    Missile pod, airburst fragmentation launcher, HW multi tracker, targeting array, target lock & bonding knife
    Shas’ui:
    Missile pod, plasma rifle & multi-tracker

4 XV25 Stealth suits
    Two targeting arrays, two blacksun filters

12 Fire Warriors
    2 pulse carbines, 10 pulse rifles
    Shas’ui, bonding knife, marker drone

12 Fire Warriors
    2 Pulse carbines, 10 pulse rifles
    Shas’ui, bonding knife

Hammerhead Gunship
    Railgun, 2 burst cannons, multi-tracker, decoy launchers

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
    Advanced stabilisation system

That's the lot at the minute, comes to bang on 1k points, any info on how I can avoid getting savaged by heavy bolters and indirect fire? (he may be drop podding alot too...)
    Thanks for any info in advance
    First Idea, you can put your fire warriors in devilfish. Then you have nothing to worry about from heavy bolters and can glide right up to them and rapidfire them into oblivion.

Second, you might want to tone down your commander - keep him by himself so he has IC status and cannot be targeted. A Shas'el w/ CIB/Plasma/TA & HWMT is 100 pts. and will work beautifully against IG troops and they can't really fire back unless he is closest due to the Independent Character rules. A Helios Fusion/Plasma/TA & HWMT would also be a good choice to also kill vehicles though in 1000 points against IG, I'd take the CIB instead, or maybe even try out a Shas'el w/ Burst/MP/TA & HWMT. IG doesn't have armor saves but they do have medium and light tanks, and Missile Pods smash light tanks.

The Broadsides lose much of their effectiveness against IG due to the lack of the submunition. They are also not mobile and will be torn apart by Heavy Bolters and if they are hiding behind cover, they can't fire their weapons. If he has alot of heavy tanks on the board, another Railhead or Ionhead might be a better choice. Or you could go with 1 Railhead and use the points for some Deathrain Crisis suits (TLMP/TA) to take on any light/medium vehicles. A skyray might also be a good choice as it can take on vehicles and support other units with its markerlights.

The targeting arrays are expensive on the stealth suits, consider using those points elsewhere. If you take a skyray, the markerlights can help the stealths hit better. A squad of 6 stealths or none is generally considered to be mandatory. I think 4 would be fine, but six has more punch, especially against IG.

These are just suggestions, your list as you have it is pretty good though perhaps a little bit inefficient.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; April 13th, 2007 at 21:07.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    First Idea, you can put your fire warriors in devilfish. Then you have nothing to worry about from heavy bolters and can glide right up to them and rapidfire them into oblivion.

Second, you might want to tone down your commander - keep him by himself so he has IC status and cannot be targeted. A Shas'el w/ CIB/Plasma/TA & HWMT is 100 pts. and will work beautifully against IG troops and they can't really fire back unless he is closest due to the Independent Character rules. A Helios Fusion/Plasma/TA & HWMT would also be a good choice to also kill vehicles though in 1000 points against IG, I'd take the CIB instead, or maybe even try out a Shas'el w/ Burst/MP/TA & HWMT. IG doesn't have armor saves but they do have medium and light tanks, and Missile Pods smash light tanks.

The Broadsides lose much of their effectiveness against IG due to the lack of the submunition. They are also not mobile and will be torn apart by Heavy Bolters and if they are hiding behind cover, they can't fire their weapons. If he has alot of heavy tanks on the board, another Railhead or Ionhead might be a better choice. Or you could go with 1 Railhead and use the points for some Deathrain Crisis suits (TLMP/TA) to take on any light/medium vehicles. A skyray might also be a good choice as it can take on vehicles and support other units with its markerlights.

The targeting arrays are expensive on the stealth suits, consider using those points elsewhere. If you take a skyray, the markerlights can help the stealths hit better. A squad of 6 stealths or none is generally considered to be mandatory. I think 4 would be fine, but six has more punch, especially against IG.

These are just suggestions, your list as you have it is pretty good though perhaps a little bit inefficient.

To add to that, I would suggest deathrains, 2 hammer heads and lots of stealth suits. instead of investing in firewarriors that would get decimated by the heavy bolters, I would get kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A large unit of XV25 would be effective. The burst cannons would rip through guardsmen and they still keep they same mobility as XV8's.
    A direct hit from the basilisk will do a lot of damage though so maybe split then up into separate units which increase mobility but might leave them vulnerable to shooting casualties (not that you have worry because they are jump infantry and you can get them back in to hiding).
    Missile pods are going to be the best bet against AV12 vehicles but only if you can get behind them, so you need to plan where your suits are going to jump back to after they've shot
    Devilfish might help save the fire warriors for a few turns but the extra 80 points might be spent more effectively elsewhere as a hit from the multiple guard heavy weapons are going to break through it pretty easily.
    If your going up an a horde army, fight fire with fire and get into cover and play them at their own game. The cover will give you as good as save from the heavy bolters as you would get from the armour. Unless your fire warriors are out of range of the guardsmen, that seems the best bet.
    The pulse carbines (at 18") are very short range, getting the fire warriors in to range will be difficult and without devilfish seem pointless as they won't make it there.
    Another railhead would help kill the guard squads and so you could tool your XV8's to go vehicle hunting. Once you get minmise of the heavy/special weapons, guard don't really have much effectiveness.
    Pirahnas could add some extra mobility and mean you can get some easy Fusion blaster shots off on vulnerable parts of the tanks.

The guard list is posted in the IG section under 'Tau vs imperal guard'.
    Any advice is welcome

Happy army building dude!

Your friendly neighbourhood guard player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if you have the appropriate models to do this but this is what I would field in your situation.

HQ
    97 - Shas'el
    plasma, missiles, targeting array, HW multi

Troops
    225 - 11 FW w/devilfish
    targeting array, decoys, multi, SMS
    77 - 11 Kroot
    70 - 10 Kroot

Fast Attack
    96 - 8 gun drones
    96 - 8 gun drones

Heavy
    170 - HH
    multi, decoy, burst cannons, railgun
    170 - HH
    same as above

Infiltrate as close as possible with the kroot with the intent to assault heavy weapons teams and deep stike the gundrones with the same intent as the kroot. Both HHs can destroy armor if they have any and then concentrate on troops with the sub shot. The Shas'el can lend a hand in the medium vehicle destruction. Apply rapid firing FW pressure where appropriate, their devilfish has the SMS system which can only help in their destruction.

I've calculated points from memory so if they are off I apologize. I think this would be a tough list for a heavy bolter wielding IG army to handle, without any lascannons or such your skimmers will be safe.

Let us know how the battle went, what you took and what he had. Good luck.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should tone down the stealth suit's upgrades a lot, as you won't often use them. Then add a couple more stealth suits and see how much the effectiveness has improved.

Definately add some devilfish, get rid of the broadside, tone down the commander, you should be fine. Just don't get caught in the open, try assaulting only one side of his lines.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking if I tone down the stealth suit's upgrades (although I plan to use them to attack his guardsmen on a flank to distract him) and dispose of the broadside and some other options (possibly on the crisis suits), I'm a step closer to using my second hammerhead; the submunitions will be very useful for taking out piles of guardsmen (hopefully) and as my opponent is using the bolter teams in his squads as fire-bases of sorts, they should be reasonably compact. Also, having two Railheads I can focus on my enemy''s probably battle cannon wielding leman russ with one before the heavy bolters get in range. I know these are some vague ideas, but any thoughts on how effective this might be?
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I liked the kroot one but sadly don't have any myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well definately get rid of the blacksun filters on stealth suits unless you are doing lots of night fighting.

Your tactics seem very sound, but be prepared to fire the second hammerhead at the leman russ should the first not work as expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The blacksun filters were there just as the cheapest upgrade available as I had to kit all of them or none. Bit annoying, so I suppose I'm just going to have to get rid of the lot of upgrades - still, 4 XV25s inflict roughly 5 casualties a turn, but if the guardsmen pass their morale check (or if the neighbouring squad looks my way) the stealths may get shot up, considering that their stealth armour won't protect them much at that range.
    Also, Monat fusion blaster against a potential basilisk/demolisher/leman russ sound worthwhile?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh. I see with the stealth's. I would still remove the blacksun and use the points elsewhere. Definately add a stealth suit for added survivability.

Well, the fusion blaster is designed for anti tank, as a deepstriking crisis suit could definately hurt that bassie hiding behind cover. However, this is hard to orchestrate, as you may scatter and die, or you may scatter too far away and with only12 inches ofmovement a turn, you may not reach the tank in time. If a monat starts on your side, he won't reach the enemy deployment zone until turn 5 or 6.

If you want to go this way, I would reccommend a fusion equipped pirahna, they are designed for that kind of thing. But hammerhead's work just as well, due to 6 foot range.

It is nice to have a unit that can kill enemy armor should your tanks get waxed, and a fusion gun crisis suit (with maybe plasma rifles or missilepods) would do this excellently. However, definately use a target array with this guy (or gun/shield drones for survivabilit).

Either drones so he doesn't die on his way to the enemy, or target array (Deepstrike version) so that his fusion gun does some damage, because if that tank is unaffected and you are in range, you won't have a second shot.

All of the tactics you have put forth are viable, and it is up to you to expirement with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast