2000 Competitive Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

2000 Competitive Tyranids

With my guard done and my O&G nearing completionI have decided to do Nids (wow, why do I keep doing hordes). This list is to be very competitive but not over the top. Here's the list.

Tyrant
    2 TL Devourers
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs
    Psychic Scream
    Tyrant Guard

X3 3 Warriors
    Rending Claws
    Scything Talons
    Leaping
    Adrenal Glands (I)
    Extended Carapace

X2 16 Hormagaunts

X2 16 Termagaunts

X2 8 Genestealers
    Extended Carapace

X2 2 Raveners
    Scythe Talons
    Rending Claws

2 Zoanthropes
    Synapse
    Psychic Scream

X2 Carnifex
    Venom Cannon
    Barbed Strangler
    Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace

98 models

I like it, how about you.

Last edited by Orkimedes41792; April 17th, 2007 at 20:31.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

2 TL Devourers
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs
    Psychic Scream
    Tyrant Guard
    How many tyrant guard? Just one?

X3 3 Warriors
    Rending Claws
    Scything Talons
    Toxin Sacs
    Leaping
    Adrenal Glands (I)
    Extended Carapace
    You don't need toxin sacs, rending here is your friend, as is these guys are strong enough to take on marines.

2 Zoanthropes
    Synapse
    Psychic Scream
    Unless demoralizing your opponents troops is the big ultimate goal of this army I suggest replacing psychic scream with warp blast.

Otherwise looks good, would also help if we knew what armies you were going to be facing, just to better improve the list.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Yea my bad, the warriors don't have toxin sacs and yea only one tyrant guard, they won't be seeing too much combat so only one is needed. And whenever I play someone, suddenly their troops become fearless and I like the psychic circus (I like circusses in general). I play all armies, mainly marines though, I go to as many tournies as my parents allow me, I can't drive yet (stupid New Jersey Law). Thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by Orkimedes41792; April 17th, 2007 at 20:34.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

I play all armies, mainly marines though, I go to as many tournies as my parents allow me, I can't drive yet (stupid New Jersey Law). Thanks for the comments.
    New Jersey Laws must be real strict cause it says your 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

No, I am not really 25, I am 15 they have postponed the license and permit one year for everybody born in 1992 (including me)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

No, I am not really 25, I am 15 they have postponed the license and permit one year for everybody born in 1992 (including me)
    So then why put into your profile that your 25?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

I picked a random DoB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

No ones going to shun you for being 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkimedes41792 View Post
    Tyrant
    2 TL Devourers
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs
    Psychic Scream
    Tyrant Guard
    I'd completely redo this HQ. As is, it's quite short ranged and slow, meaning it will never see a lot of action. Your Tyrant is your biggest, meanest bug other that the Carnifexi, so you want him to see action. Paying points for him and holding him back is stupid... Use a Broodlord or Warrior HQ if you want that, but only take a Tyrant if you plan on killing stuff with it.

That said, there's four effective setups for a Tyrant. You need to focus on one of the four to have an effective Tyrant, otherwise you're wasting points. The four effective setups are: Walking/Long Ranged, Winged/Close Combat, Winged/Short Ranged, and Winged/Long Ranged. I'll break it down for you:

1. Walking, Ranged.
    The only effective use of points for a walking Tyrant is long ranged shooting. Both close combat and short ranged shooting are bad because a walking Tyrant is slow and with has a hard time either assaulting or closing in to shoot short ranged weapons. He needs to be equiped with some nice long ranged stuff, like a Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, or Deathspitter. Enhanced Senses is a must to up his BS and things like Toxin Sacs, Extended Caraprace, and Warp Field are nice additions to help hitting and survivability. Guard are nice, but I find Warp Field a better use of points.

Personally, I'd build a walking Tyrant with a Venom Cannon, Deathspitter, ES, TS, and WF. While it's true a Barbed Strangler is longer ranged and has a bigger blast as well as pinning, it will only be a S4(+1 with TS) weapon on a Tyrant. On the other hand, the Deathspitter will be a S6(+1 with TS). You'll still get a pie plate, still get decent enough range, and you get to reroll misses (Because it's an auto-TL weapon on a TMC). ES is there to help hit, TS is for better weapon strength, and WF is there to give you the +2 save along with what I think is a very essential +6 Invulnerable save.

2. Winged, Close Combat.
    The only effective close combat Tyrant is a winged one. Why? He's fast enough to catch things. The idea with one of these bad boys is to get close quick and pump out a massive amount of nasty TMC attacks. To that end, a CC Flyrant almost always has two sets of Scything Talons. Don't ever consider Rending Claws. There's a plethora of good biomorphs including the Adrenal Glands, Bioplasma, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, and Toxic Miasma. Warp Field is good because he can't take EC, and Warp Blast is great because he has no guns (Which you'd normally take ES for... WB has that ES restriction).

With this kind of Tyrant take either a character hunter with Talons, AG:I, AG:W, IA, WF or a can-opener with nothing but Talons and WB. If you have the points I'd also consider Bioplasma on either one because it's a nice extra attack, especially for the character hunter, though it's not necessary.

3. Winged, Short Ranged.
    As was the case with the winged CC Tyrant, the winged short ranged Tyrant is the only effective short range Tyrant. The walker is just too slow to get in range quick enough, and probably can't stay within range of once he gets there. The wings will allow a short ranged Tyrant to not only get to the prey quick, but stay on their tails should they try to run. Devourers are what you want to equip him with. Spinefists pale in comparasion to the massive number of shots a Devi Tyrant will get, so don't consider them. Useful biomorphs are ES and TS. WF is probably better than WB because his best use is infantry killing rather than can-opening, not to mention the ES restriction on the more potent WB.

I'd take one with two Devourers, ES, TS, and WF. Tons of attacks, tons of rolls and rerolls, and he'd be harder than hell to hit.

4. Winged, Long Ranged.
    I personally am not a fan of winged, long ranged Tyrants. I feel a winged Tyrant is put to much better use as a taloned character killer/can-opener or a troop killing machine, but this setup does have it's uses. You'd take one of these to have, essentially, longer ranged long range weapons. The same biomorphs that are useful to the walking Tyrant are useful to this one. Always give him WF, because the point of this type of Tyrant is to say as far away as possible plus the fact that you'll probably be using ES anyway. A Barbed Strangler might also be a better choice than a Deathspitter for the same reason.

All this said... I think your army needs a Winged/Short Ranged Tyrant. You have a distinct lack of real GEQ killing power, and have anything but a lack of MEQ removal. A Devourer armed Flyrant is a GEQ killing machine.

X3 3 Warriors
    Rending Claws
    Scything Talons
    Leaping
    Adrenal Glands (I)
    Extended Carapace
    These look pretty good.

X2 16 Hormagaunts
    I think that Spinegaunts with Scuttlers and AG:WS are better. They can reach combat as soon as Hormies and have almost the same statline, but they cost less. You'd be losing the 12" charge along with the 3" attack range, but I think it's worth it for the point saving.

X2 16 Termagaunts
    I'm not a fan of these, personally. I prefer Spinegaunts. The cost less, and I like rerolling to hit better than rerolling to wound.

X2 8 Genestealers
    Extended Carapace
    Good. I think only eight in the entire 2000 is a bit low, though.

X2 2 Raveners
    Scythe Talons
    Rending Claws
    Just 2 is a waste of points. Drop them to get more genestealers or think of dropping something else to get more of them. I love these guys, but I wouldn't use them unless you're fielding at least 6.

2 Zoanthropes
    Synapse
    Psychic Scream
    Psychic Scream isn't really all that useful on just two. You'll get a lot more use out of Warp Blast or Catalyst. I won't field Zoans without WB.

X2 Carnifex
    Venom Cannon
    Barbed Strangler
    Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace
    Standard Carnifexi, but I'd use Reenforced Chitin rather than EC. These guys will get a lot of heavy weapons pointed at them, and EC isn't going to help much against those. The extra wound from RC, on the other hand, works wonders. A combination of both is great if you have the points.

I like it, how about you.
    It's okay. How's about you try this, though:

HQ:
    A. 156pts - Hive Tyrant
    Wings, 2x TL-Devourer, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Warp Field.

ELITES:
    A. 114pts - 3x Warriors
    Scythin Talons, Rending Claws, Leaping, Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace
    B. 114pts - 3x Warriors
    C. 114pts - 3x Warriors

TROOPS:
    A. 120pts - 15x Spinegaunts
    Spinefists, AG:WS, Scuttlers
    B. 120pts - 24x Spinegaunts
    Spinefists
    C. 120pts - 24x Spinegaunts
    Spinefists
    D. 200pts - 10x Genestealers
    Extended Carapace
    E. 200pts - 10x Genestealers
    Extended Carapace
    F. 200pts - 10x Genestealers
    Extended Carapace

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    A. 165pts - 3x Zoanthropes
    Warp Blast
    B. 188pts - Carnifex
    Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Extended Carapace
    C. 188pts - Carnifex
    Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Extended Carapace

Model Count: 108.
    Last edited by Hunter Killer; April 18th, 2007 at 00:27.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

I have a feeling that you just made a list very similar to yours. I like the psychic scream fir the reasons mentioned above. Also you seemed to miss the X2, that means there are 2 units of each. Also I love the way my tyrant is set up, very good as a scoring unit and can take plenty of damage and the best way for taking out enemies with good toughness early on. Also the 12 inch charge makes sure I am in combat by turn 2 and the hormagaunts can be used as a screen and I like S4 for rear armour. The raveners are great running up the flank and I like 2+ saves, mught consider the Chitin though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast