[2000] Tau Army List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

[2000] Tau Army List

Greetings wise ones. This is the third tau list I have ever written and it's one that I am finally reasonably happy with, the first list was quite badly balanced and had a couple of illegal things in it, the second list wasn't to my liking very much and here is the third one. It is a mech tau list that seems to be similar to a lot of other mech lists but a few noteworthy differences, I'd like to get some critique on this and find out if it's any good. Here it goes:

Tau 2000 Points Army List:

HQ: Shas’el --- 97
    Plasma Rifle –
    Fusion Blaster –
    Targeting Array –
    Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker –
    Bodyguard: 2 Shas’vre --- 164
    2x Plasma Rifle -
    2x Fusion Blaster –
    2x Targeting Array –
    2x Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker –

HQ: Shas’el – --- 97
    Plasma Rifle –
    Missile Pod –
    Targeting Array –

Elites: 3 Crisis Suits – 75 --- 187
    Shas’vre –
    Plasma Rifle –
    Missile Pod –
    2x Twin Linked Plasma Rifle –
    3x Targeting Array –
    Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker -
    Hard-Wired Target Lock –

Elites: 6 Stealth Suits – 180 --- 195
    Shas’vre -
    Bonding Knife -

Shas’vre –
    Bonding Knife –

Troops: 12 Fire Warriors – 120 --- 135
    Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Transport: Devilfish – --- 90
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –

Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –

Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –

Fast Attack – 4 Gun Drones --- 48

Heavy Support: Hammerhead – --- 170
    Railgun -
    2 Burst Cannons –
    Multi Tracker –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Target Lock –

Railgun –
    2 Burst Cannons –
    Multi Tracker –
    Decoy Launchers -
    Target Lock –

1998 Points.

I probably won't even use a list like this because of the 5 large vehicles which are expensive in money and take up lots of space in carrying cases but it could still be very useful indeed. I'm sorry about all the random hyphens everywhere but this list originally had individual points costs for my own reference and whilst I removed them to respect GW's copywrited material I didn't erase the hyphens... and I'm not going back through the whole thing to erase them... Apologies.

Thanks in advance.

Tenozuma.

Last edited by Tenozuma; April 21st, 2007 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hey there, I like the look of the list, it has a strong base, but there are a few changes I would suggest.

The list is probably laking in the markerlight department (considering you don't have any )but apart from that looks quite strong.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenozuma View Post
    Tau 2000 Points Army List:

HQ: Shas’el --- 97
    Plasma Rifle –
    Fusion Blaster –
    Targeting Array –
    Bodyguard: 2 Shas’vre --- 164
    2x Plasma Rifle -
    2x Fusion Blaster –
    2x Targeting Array –
    2x Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker –
    At first glance a very strong hard hitting unit, personally I think that the body guard is sinking too many points into your HQ that could be used better elsewhere, also, it is always a good idea to take stand alone HQ's when it comes Tau. Through good use of the IC rules you can pretty much ensure that your HQ is barely ever targetted in the early rounds and this will keep him safer than any upgrade we have available. The El' is a great choice and I would keep him as is.

HQ: Shas’el – --- 97
    Plasma Rifle –
    Missile Pod –
    Targeting Array –
    Great choice on this guy too, complements the list nicely.

Elites: 3 Crisis Suits – 75 --- 187
    Shas’vre –
    Plasma Rifle –
    Missile Pod –
    2x Twin Linked Plasma Rifle –
    3x Targeting Array –
    Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker -
    Hard-Wired Target Lock –
    These guys are strong, the Target lock gives you the option of targetting two different units. They should be quite handy. Be carefull with thier placement and you should have no probs, just remember that it can be hard to hide these guys behind terrain as it is a large unit.
    Make good use of the JSJ tactic and these guys will punish the enemy from 42" away.

Shas’vre -
    Bonding Knife -

Shas’vre –
    Bonding Knife –
    That's a lot of stealths......which isn't a problem at all. I normally play with just one unit, but I really do think that you can never have enough stealth suits.
    I would however drop the Vre upgrades and the Bonding knives. It saves you 30 pts to play with elsewhere and to be honest the stealths don't really need em.

Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –

Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –

Shas’ui –
    Bonding Knife –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Targeting Array –
    These guys are great, looks like some nice FoF action coming your way.

Fast Attack – 4 Gun Drones --- 48
    I would spend some of the extra points we have saved bumbing this up to a squad of eight for 96 pts. Run them with your Helios (PR/F commander, though he doesn't actually join the unit - they just stand in front of him and no can target him as he is an IC. Eight will give you way more options tactically and will actually be able to do some damage in their own right. Plus eight shots means you have a higher likelihood of getting those pinning tests happening as well.

Railgun -
    2 Burst Cannons –
    Multi Tracker –
    Decoy Launchers –
    Target Lock –

Railgun –
    2 Burst Cannons –
    Multi Tracker –
    Decoy Launchers -
    Target Lock –
    Yeah these guys rock. You probably don't really need the Target Lock, but it occasionally comes in handy and is a cheap upgrade. No problems here either.

I would use the remaining points left over to buy yourself a skyray. It gives you two mobile markerlights a turn, provides anti tank support with its seekers and is generally jus a big pile of all around awesomeness. I just really think it would benefit your army a lot more (for the markerlight support) than the bodyguard suits, and realistically you don't loose out on anti tank either due to the seekers. It also lets you use your sub-munitions shots more which is always a good thing.

That will get you pretty close to the 2000 pt mark again, so yeah there you go.

ALright, those are my suggestions, have a good one.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

I like the way you're thinking. If I drop those 30 points on my stealths and those 10 points for the hammerheads (target locks) and my 2 spare points I can buff up those drones a little, I suppose I could drop the target lock on the crisis suits, it was a last minute upgrade but I thought it would be worthwhile. I assume when you said 42" you meant 24" and it was a typo. I can drop another 15 points by taking off the targeting arrays from the 3 devilfish leaving me with 57 spare (or 63 if I ditch the target lock on the shas'vre)... That could make another little drone squad or if I combine it with the existing drone squad maybe even some kroot... but I think I'll stick with a few more drones. Still hesitant to drop the bodyguard... I'd need a little more convincing, maybe if I upgrade him to a shas'o then he'd be less likely to die, or I could bond the unit so that if he starts fleeing (say the other 2 die) he can still rally. What do you think?

About the bodyguard thing... that's there because I prefer stealth suits to crisis suits quite a bit but I don't want to miss out on the crisis suits or the meq killing action, on my very first list, both shas'els had them and I was told the same thing but I would think that if it is just one... there shouldn't be that much of a problem staying alive... but I don't know. In the concept stages of this is the stealth suits still all had targeting arrays because I wanted them hitting on 3's so getting a couple of markerlights in there would be good but I'm not sure if the skyray is best for this because it only has 2 lights and it's going to be spending a lot of time firing off it's seeker missiles, correct me if I'm wrong. I also just don't want to add another large tank, that's the main reason.

So 57 points (keep target lock) - 48 for more drones.... = 9 left. Bond the HQ unit (maybe?) leaving 4 for a filler upgrade like a black sun filter or something. Thank you for the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

I second aussiedave's suggestion about the Shas'Els bodyguard. Your current unit will get shot at alot and its going to be close to your enemy - in range of most of his weaponry. Combine that with the fact that its difficult to hide behind terrain and you have a targetable, expensive unit in range of enemy weapons - they'll get shot alot. In contrast, a single 'El with the drones (which should be run as a 8 drone squad) will be easier to hide and, if you use the drones right, much harder for the enemy to target in the first place.

Your 3-man Fireknife and Burning Eye squad suffers less from these problems thanks to its longer effective range. You will need to use them intelligently with terrain in order to avoid getting them shot though. You could split the squad and give your Fireknife 'El a bodyguard Fireknife and keep the two Burning Eyes together - that would reduce the squad size (easier to hide) and give you even numbers in the squads (always a good thing). Not sure that a 100% good idea myself though, wait for other advice about that

Drones should be fielded as an eight strong squad. You need as much technomeat as you can get to shield your commander. They can also be used for shooting or CC roadblocks - larger squad numbers would benefit both these roles.

Skyray would be nice in this list. Markerlights and seeker missiles would be very useful, and take much of the anti armour work from you suits freeing them up for other targets (termies!!! kill the termies!). Whilst it doesn't give you a huge amount of markerlight support, it does give you some which is decidedly better than none at all:yes:

Hope this helps mate, good luck with the list.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenozuma View Post
    . I assume when you said 42" you meant 24" and it was a typo. .
    No no, I really did mean 42"

Missile Pod has a range of 36" + 6" move foward to shoot, then 6" move backward in assualt phase = effective operating range of 42"

Obviously you aren't going to be able to use the plasma at that range, but generally you will be setting up at a decent range and waiting for the bad guys to come to you. So when they get within that 24" range you start really overwhelming them with both weapons.

Rich makes some good points about the body guard, but that's really your call.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

+ Reply to Thread