Shooty Dark Eldar? 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Shooty Dark Eldar? 1500

Well, I've been trying to find an army who's troops I really like. Naturally tau seemed awesome, but I already have friends who play tau, and I've been thinking up much more devious ideas. I used to play a drop podding army, but i sense massive waves of nerfing on the horizon, and I've been less then thrilled with bombing my opponent with 15 points of free victory points.

Getting onto the subject, I think the DE can pump out a heck of a lot of firepower for a dirt cheap point cost, but I don't know much about DE, so any advise would be nice.

So here goes-

HQ:
    Archon, Agonizer, shadow field, splinter pistol, plasma grenades, 108 points.

ELITES:
    9 Wyches, plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus: Agonizer, gruesome talisman 211 points.
    Raider, dark lance.

10 Wyches, plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus: Agonizer, gruesome talisman 225 points.
    Raider, dark lance, horror-fex.

TROOPS:
    10 Warriors, 2 dark lances, 100 points.

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Talos, 100 points.
    Talos, 100 points.
    Talos, 100 points.

Exactly 1500.

Thanks for the replies,
    Forged.

Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never seen an army quite like this, so it would be interesting.

As far as the shooty warrior squads, common wisdom is that 2-3 max should be set up as you have them.

Also, as you have no Web Way Portal, Taloses will never see close combat, where they shine. Wyches are great, and really epitomize the DE, fast cheap and mean in their element.

Most DE armies are best seen as highly assault oriented with Incubi, wyches and warp beasts leading the assault, followed by warriors, raiders and ravagers as a support net of fire.

I would recommend dropping the Taloses and a couple of the warrior squads. Add incubi to your archon and maybe kit him/her out with a tormenter/punisher helm for 4 S4 attacks. Put them in a raider also. Add the very few points of warp beasts (less than 100!) for a full squad. They make great distraction and can kill squads on their own if not dealt with.

You'll probably want 2-3 Ravagers outfitted with 3 disintegrators.

Then, as you add more skimmers to the list, you might want a Webway Portal.

This is pretty typical for DE. LOts of stuff in Raiders and some Ravagers coming out of the WWP, shooting and assaulting quickly and either devastating the enemy or getting annihilated.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

In response to *crazyrpger*, I dont think he wants to use the taloses for assault. They are perfect fire magnets that will atract tons of heavy and assault weapon fire. While they do that, the warriors take down pretty much anything with lances when it comes to MEQs.

In response to *ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar*, I think the list will be competetive but extremely boring to play if ask me. In involves stationing your warriors and shooting while the taloses keep absorbing fire while moving closer to the enemy. I suppose wyches are a counter charge unit???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never believed he wanted them as anything but fire magnets. 3 cheap almost-wraithlords? I a list with other things that pack fire power? Not much of a problem to see where this is going. I just said they'd never get to combat, which is where they are really good, chopping up troops like the maniacal uber-dreadnought that they are. I don't field 'em because most space marine opponents know how good their dreads are, so mine doesn't get anywhere.

As for the list being competitive... I can see lots of ways to beat this, depending on deployment and the other army list involved. 'Nids, either horde or 'zilla lists will do well. I imagine orks may as well (I've never seen speed freeks do badly). Craftworld Eldar and Marines have answers to your regular troops. With Tau or massive infantry IG, it'll be a sit back and shoot/try to fly the raiders around terrain and into the lines game.

Basically, this list puts you almost on the defensive, somewhere DE don't want to be. We strike hard and fast. Sitting and shooting? Not so much. We have lots of firepower available, in the forms of cheap skimming transports with a free good heavy weapon, gunboats, ravagers, reavers...

I know you wanted a shooty list, but DE aren't necessarily the best at that. Dev squads and space marine tact squads will tear up you guys while making 3+ saves. Sniper warrior squads are better at tank killing, IC assassination, MC killing than they are at killing troops, the majority of things you face.

Not saying this list is bad, but I don't think it fits the DE in either fluff or very successful play style.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

In response to *ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar*, I think the list will be competetive but extremely boring to play if ask me. In involves stationing your warriors and shooting while the taloses keep absorbing fire while moving closer to the enemy. I suppose wyches are a counter charge unit???
    Exactly. That is a good point, the list might be a bit boring to play.

As for the list being competitive... I can see lots of ways to beat this, depending on deployment and the other army list involved. 'Nids, either horde or 'zilla lists will do well. I imagine orks may as well (I've never seen speed freeks do badly). Craftworld Eldar and Marines have answers to your regular troops. With Tau or massive infantry IG, it'll be a sit back and shoot/try to fly the raiders around terrain and into the lines game.
    As for hoard armies, I'm hoping the superior initiative of the DE will help even the odds of any combat. The Talos are also assault magnets - along with the fire magnet role.
    Basically, this list puts you almost on the defensive, somewhere DE don't want to be. We strike hard and fast. Sitting and shooting? Not so much. We have lots of firepower available, in the forms of cheap skimming transports with a free good heavy weapon, gunboats, ravagers, reavers.
    Hmm thats defiantly a possibility. I realize the DE list is exceptionally powerful in its standard form. However, I think this list would provide me with quite a bit of board control.

Not sure that I'll make this army, thanks for the replies.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would seriously consider atleast one ravager with three dissies for firepower if that's what you're going for.As said before, Talosi are very iffy, even when in assaults. The D6 attacks really isn't reliable, neither is their "wildfire" ability. If you want shooty dark eldar, at 1500 points, I would strongly consider a WWP portal list that still has a veritable assault force. I really only use 'shooty' dark Eldar in 750 and 500 point games, where I can pack 3 Dissie-Ravagers and some snipers + a cheap haemie. But as the army sizes move up, the Dark Eldar really need a faster force considering (as said before) Devastators, Imp Guard, and firewarriors.

At 1500 points, I would consider dropping 2 or 3 sniper squads, 1, or maybe 2 Talosi, and adding in a 15man warrior squad carrying a WWP, or just becoming a footslogging firesupport/fire magnet squad, and putting in Ravagers. If you want shooty Dark Eldar, I would strongly reccommend ravagers.
    ;o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

You want a shooty force
    DE work best as a fast hitting army that anihilates 1/4 of an army with our entire army and then not allowing the enemy to hit back.

i haven't seen it done, cause i like assault, but i reckon load up of raiders with a 5 man splinter/blaster combo and a couple of raider dl's (deployed out of the raiders) as this will give you more maneuverability, then add a ravager or two, kitted out with dissies. These options are more expensive, and may cause you to loose some of your wyches, but then thats ok cause they work best in 6-8 man squads anyway (the squad is just ablative wounds for the agoniser wielding freak in the middle.

This would give you good maneuverability, with a bit of gamble in it (you could loose half your raiders first turn) and a hell of a lot of fire power

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Ok well your list isn't great but I se where you are going. Rather than do my normal breakdown I'll give you some advice from playing shooty lists myself.

1) Don't have too many sniper squads (10 warriors 2DL), they can't deal with hordes. I'd advise 2-3 sniper squads, probably 2.

2) Ravagers are a godsend to a shooty list, I'd advise taking at least 1 with 3 disintegrators and a night shield (night shields are not so good in assault lists, very useful in shooty lists). I would strongly advise taking 2 of these, but I would say 1 is a bare minimum.

3) You need splinter cannons and counter assault. My advice would be to take 2 15-20 man warrior squads with 2 splinter cannons and a sybarite with an agoniser. In addition you could give them blasters if you have the points.

4) You need a distraction to keep your opponent divided and unable to focus on your pirmary gun line. Gun boats are perfect for this. Raiders with 10 man squads including a cannon and blaster can pump out a lot of fire, including 2 dark matter blasts. You can add a sybarite with poison baldes or an agoniser for counter assault if you want, but this is not strictly neccessary in these squads. Some poeple advise taking 5 man squads, but you lose 10 12" range shots that way and for 40 points I think they are more than worth it. I would strongly advise taking two of these, but one works too.

5) It is generally a good idea to set up your HQ in a shooty list as a counter assault unit for dealing with troops (hence the agonisers on the squad leaders in 3 and possibly 4) if you take an HQ with a small number of incubi (3-5) a dracon with punisher & accouterments and some warriors with splinter cannons you increase both your firepower and counter assault.

6) Further if you want some diverstiy other than warriors Reavers are suprisingly effective shootng units, just leave the succubus at home and send them tank hunting, their slpinter rifles are also good against troops. I prefer to beef up the warrior squads, but I know some people aren't fans of that approach.

7) The talos is a useful counterassault unit, but not the best fire support I wouldn't sugest more than one and would probably suggest none.

Heres an example list off the top of my head, it is by no means the right list for you just an example of something that will work.

HQ

Dracon, Shadowfield, Combat Drugs, Punisher, Tormentor Helm
    3 Incubi
    2 Warriors, Splinter Cannons

Troops

10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    2 Dark Lances

10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    2 Dark Lances

20 Dark Eldar Warriors
    2 Splinter CAnnons
    2 Blasters
    Sybarite, Agoniser

20 Dark Eldar Warriors
    2 Splinter CAnnons
    2 Blasters
    Sybarite, Agoniser

10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    Splinter Cannon
    Blaster
    Sybarite, Agoniser
    Raider

10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    Splinter Cannon
    Blaster
    Sybarite, Agoniser
    Raider

Heavy Support

Ravager
    3 Disintegrators
    Night Shield

Ravager
    3 Disintegrators
    Nightshield

Weapon Breakdown
    6 Dark Lances
    6 Blasters
    8 Splinter Cannons
    6 Disintegrators
    60 Splinter Rifles

4 Agonisers
    5 Punishers

As always just some advice feel free to atake it or ignore it.

+ Reply to Thread