(1500) Balanced Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

(1500) Balanced Tyranids

I've been contemplating reinvesting into my Tyranids again. I used to play them regularly, but switched to Chaos just before coming to LO. I've since given them away, and at times I find myself missing them.

This is the list I normally ran before taking up Chaos. I just played a game with it a little bit ago against a Hybrid Tau list, and it performed rather well, pulling out a Solid Victory.

Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

Hive Tyrant: 196
    2x Devourers; Wings; Warp Field; Toxin Sacs; Enhanced Senses

Carnifex: 114
    2x Devourers; Enhanced Senses; Flesh Hooks

1x Lictor

8x Genestealers: 128

8x Genestealers: 128

7x Genestealers: 112

3x Bio-Acid Mines: 36

Carnifex: 148
    Venom Cannon; Barbed Strangler; Enhanced Senses

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Looks like a fairly solid list to me, I only have 3 real comments on it. However I would note that all 3 comments are more of a personal preference, rather than a "YOU MUST DO THIS OR ELSE!" type comment.

First, you may want to consider dropping a few stealers in order to give the other guys extended carapace. It gives you a save against bolters (and other regular weapons) which I have always apreciated. It also is nice in close combat as it makes the stealers more survivable against counter attacks from the few things that don't die on the first swings.

Secondly, Personally I'm not a fan of bio acid. Yes it's ap 3, but it's also Str 3, which doesn't hurt a lot of things. Sure, sisters will hate you, but that's about it, against everything else you'll want something with a higher str. And against vehicles even with the 2d6 for pen, str 3 means you need high rolls to do any real dmg.

Thirdly: WHERE ARE YOUR ZOANTHROPES?! Ok, the caps wasn't needed, but I think you get the idea. Zoies are some of our most power ful units, if you swap out the spore mines and a couple of stealers you can field back up synapse (nice even though the stealers don't actually need it) and anti-tank (not much is happy about a str 10 ap 2 shot to the face.)

Those are about the only real changes I might make (and they're more like "I would do it this way" changes than you must do this to be effective.) I'll also say that 37 genestealers in a 1500 point game is pretty nasty, it'll tear through almost any infantry based army alive. (you'll have a lot of trouble with skimmers, but almost all nids have that problem.)
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I too am curious why you Bio-acid mines in there, and why there are no extended carapaces on your genestealers. I also wonder why you don't just run a broodlord instead of a hive tyrant, your list is intent on the genestealers so why not put a broodlord in to back them up?
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Eep! Okay, let me try to comment on all the points as I think of them:

I didn't put EC on the Genies basically because it's expensive, and Cover is free. While I agree that in the long run, Extended Carapace goes further in keeping them alive, I like the psychological effect of putting down 37 Genestealers alongside five Monstrous Creatures. Then, by the time turn 2 rolls around and I start rolling for Deep Strikers, my opponent is usually - 'Just what else can you fit into that army?'

I figure if I can elicit that reaction, then I've already won half the game.

However, instead of Extended Carapace, I might drop one group of 7x Genies in order to buy Scuttlers for the other four groups. I'm a big fan of making that extra move at the beginning of the game (making a dash for cover beyond the deployment zone) and that's one less turn they spend out of Close Combat.

I don't like Zoans in this army too much. Too expensive for what amounts to a single short ranged weapon that misses half the time. Synapse isn't necessary, so their uses are limited.

The Bio-Acid mines are just psychological effects, as is the Lictor. They also force Priority checks, which isn't a big deal, but can be worth the 36 points. But I don't mind dropping them. I've been thinking about Raveners in their place, but have no experience with them.

The Broodlord is a good suggestion. I was originally opposed to it, but I'm thinking I want to drop the Tyrant anyways. I do not relish the idea of converting another Winged Tyrant, and frankly, the 2x Dev Tyrants look daft. So the Broodlord makes for an interesting alternative.

Maybe a new list, something like this?

Broodlord & Retinue: 240
    Toxin Sacs; Extended Carapace; Flesh Hooks
    7x Genestealers w/ Extended Carapace; Flesh Hooks

8x Genestealers: 152
    Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Ravener: 40
    Scything Talons and Rending Claws

New list has lost the Tyrant, but gained a Broodlord (not a great change, I admit). 39 Genies compared to 37 before, all of which are either faster or more durable. Lost the Lictor, but he was only there to bring in the Spore Mines in a timely manner anyways. Lastly, lost the Spore Mines, but made up with a few Raveners.

My other thought was instead of the Broodlord to use a few CC Warriors to back up the Genies. Problem is that with Scuttlers, they'd be left behind a turn. Thoughts?

Edit -
    I also just noticed that I no longer have an acceptable solution to IDF vehicles, such as Whirlwhinds or Basalisks. That bothers me. Anyone have ideas for solutions? I might just go back to the Spore Mine clusters instead of the Ravs.
    Last edited by Caluin; May 3rd, 2007 at 21:29.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

My other thought was instead of the Broodlord to use a few CC Warriors to back up the Genies. Problem is that with Scuttlers, they'd be left behind a turn. Thoughts?
    Well you have two options here, either give them leaping or give them wings if you want to put them in, it will allow you to run both with out too many problems.

I also just noticed that I no longer have an acceptable solution to IDF vehicles, such as Whirlwhinds or Basalisks. That bothers me. Anyone have ideas for solutions? I might just go back to the Spore Mine clusters instead of the Ravs.
    IDF vehicles are impossible to really counter, and spore mines will be unlikely to take them out.

I think the new list looks good, I miss the lictor, but then again I am a fan of the lictor.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

my only comment (and it applies to both lists actually in retrospect), is how do you deal with skimmers? And I don't mean like 2 land speeders, I mean Mech Tau, or Mech Eldar.

you only have 2 creatures that can shoot those skimmers, and even though 37 genestealers is impressive, it's still going to have trouble with them (although I'm not sure what I suggest to do about it... I know I'm the one who said drop them, but maybe put back in the spore mines...)

Scuttlers is an interesting choice... I've tried it but I never really felt it made up the points. (but I do know it had an impressive psych value, and on some occasions was useful for getting to cover.)

I don't know... at this point you have all your bases covered and it's just a question of what units you feel most comfortable fielding. I've never used ravenors, but that's because I've never bothered purchasing them more than because I believe them to be weak.

Personally, I think almost any of the options you've put forward will work fine, so long as you know what and how to use them (scuttlers requires a different tactical style, than EC, etc) so maybe the more helpful thing (for giving suggestions) would be to say what style you want to run, and from there we can talk about good support optoins for that.

Yeah... that was really scattered, for which I apologize, I need to remember that thinking doesn't work so well right after an exam...
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    my only comment (and it applies to both lists actually in retrospect), is how do you deal with skimmers? And I don't mean like 2 land speeders, I mean Mech Tau, or Mech Eldar.
    Easy question - the same way I deal with any other army.

There really isn't much 'Nids can do against Skimmer heavy armies. It's just a general weakness of theirs. I have four Strength 10 shots that can slow them down, and if you throw enough Genies at them, you will cause some damage.

However, I think I've changed my mind (once again) and dropped the Broodlord in favour of a Walking Tyrant with a Venom Cannon. Another 3 Strength 8 shots will help in all regards, especially against Skimmers.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Cal,

what do you think about gargoyles?
    THey add an interesting edge to nids.

Also.. how about those rending warriors we discussed?
    If you're worried about skimmers, then venom sacked deathspitters aren't that bad.

Just some more food for thought. We like food.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Also.. how about those rending warriors we discussed?
    I liked your other idea much better. The one about the Red Terror.

Reworked list. 36 Scuttling Genies and 6 Monstrous Creatures. That's just wrong. The Tyrant doesn't have any Guard, but I think with a target rich environment, he won't need them.

The list might be weak against Skimmer heavy armies, but I'm willing to accept that. Every list has some weakness, and it's more of a fun list anyways.

Hive Tyrant: 157
    Venom Cannon; Barbed Strangler
    Toxin Sacs; Enhanced Senses

6x Genestealers: 114
    Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Red Terror: 104

Carnifex: 163
    Venom Cannon; Barbed Strangler; Enhanced Senses; Reinforced Chitin

Carnifex: 163
    Last edited by Caluin; May 5th, 2007 at 06:35.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin View Post
    I liked your other idea much better. The one about the Red Terror.

Reworked list. 36 Scuttling Genies and 6 Monstrous Creatures. That's just wrong. The Tyrant doesn't have any Guard, but I think with a target rich environment, he won't need them.

The list might be weak against Skimmer heavy armies, but I'm willing to accept that. Every list has some weakness, and it's more of a fun list anyways.

Hive Tyrant: 157
    Venom Cannon; Barbed Strangler
    Toxin Sacs; Enhanced Senses; Enhanced Senses

Carnifex: 113
    2x Devourers; Enhanced Senses

Carnifex: 113
    2x Devourers; Enhanced Senses

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Scuttlers

Red Terror: 104

Carnifex: 164

Carnifex: 164
    Ahh the Red Terror he is indeed one of my favorite models both by looks and by rules he is a beaut thats for sure . Also nice to have seeing the light again Cal after your long exlie from nids you should be refreshed coming back.

Really it seems a lot of people like giving their stealers 4+ saves but meh I don't care much for em (espically since I always seem to fail 4+ saves....so why pay points for something your going to fail :shifty: ).

Also your points on your HT is off...as it should be 162 and not sure why you have enhanced senses twice though probally a typo :ninja: . Also gunfexs are 1 point over unless you gave them flesh hooks (which would be better IMO on the dakka fexs).

Other then that I really don't think you will do that bad against a skimmer army anways with all the high str weapons like your HT VC and fexes VC you should be fine IMO.

Though I am curious as to how you modeled your 2 TL devours that you think they look daft (as I really like the way my devil tyrant came out though could be just opinion).
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast