750pts first ever army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750pts first ever army list

Hi, this is my first ever Eldar armylist. At the moment I have 20 guardians, 1 vyper, 3 bikes, and a falcon. But I want to make my first army with somethings I don't quite have yet. So it's gonna be a while before I actually have it complete, = lots of time to tweak and improve the list :yes:

HQ:

Troops:
    5 Rangers
    5 Rangers

Fast Attack:
    5 Swooping Hawks including 1 Exarch with "Skyleap"
    5 Swooping Hawks including 1 Exarch with "Skyleap"
    2 Vypers with 2 Shuriken Cannons each, Spirit Stones

Grand Total: 749 points

Army tactics:
    Basically my Rangers will try to find cover and sit around while shooting at enemy troops. Hopefully I can force them to take pinning tests, and slow them down quite a bit. My Avatar of Khaine will try to avoid getting shot by the big guns while my Vypers race around the battlefield picking on tanks, walkers, or shoot the crap out of lightly armored stuff. Both my swooping hawk units will Skyleap as much as possible to give me lots of pie plate grenade lovin', and when the time is right they will charge in with my Avatar and kick some ass!

Alternavite Options:
    Replace Rangers with Jetbikes, 10 rangers = 2.5 squads of 3 jetbikes with each a Shuriken Cannon,

Replace Swooping Hawks with Warp Spiders, better against all exept horde armies and slightly more fluffy (I base my army on Altansar Craftworld)

What do you think, any good for a first try?

A Tau Ethereal was thought to have been killed today by a Bloodthirster. However, many Tau were seen fleeing the scene and are considered suspects.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

The biggest problem I see with this army is that it seems like you've got each element of it going off and doing it's own thing. Eldar armies are at their most effective when the entire army can work together as a whole,each unit supporting others to accomplish their given tasks.

With this is mind,I'll point out some more specific flaws that I can see.

1 - Avatar. This guy can NOT "avoid the big guns". He's huge and angry,and nobody wants him anywhere near them. Especially seeing as you have no real tanks,all the AV weapons in the world are going to be focusing on him. I wouldn't reccommend this guy for your army as-is anyway. The avatar is best used in a troop-heavy army where his "fearlessness aura" can really make a difference. I would replace him with a farseer,with powers depending on what else your army has. More on that later.

2 - Rangers. The general opinion is,first off,that you should ALWAYS grab the pathfinder upgrade. It makes them a MUCH more effective unit,and isn't too expensive considering what it gives them. This being said,rangers aren't generally seen as a good choice if taken without anything to support them. They just can't kill fast enough to warrant their points in smaller games. They have their place in higher point games,but at this level I would go with either the jetbikes you suggested,or some dire avengers. Avengers are solid troop choices,and haven't let me down yet.

3 - Rubberhawks. Fun for you,not fun for your opponent. I think the points could be much better spent elsewhere anyway. I like the warp spider idea,but that's mostly since I love them.

4 - Vypers. They can pick on the rears of tanks as you said,but getting there is going to be a problem if they are the only thing going up-field. They will have a little more success if you go with the jetbikes as troop choices,since you'll have more targets presented to him at once. The vypers can be killed rather easily by even something like massed bolter fire,so sending them up unsupported is a bad idea. I would drop them,and probably grab some war walkers instead. War walkers with 2 scatter lasers each can put out a lot of very nasty firepower. As for your anti-tank problem,warlocks with singing spears joined up with a jetbike unit can pop tanks very effectively. Cool,too.

When choosing a unit in an Eldar army,you have to ask yourself how it can interact with other units in the army. A farseer using guide on a laser-toting war walker squadron can increase its effectiveness greatly. An avatar in the middle of a swarm of (now-fearless!)guardians and dire avengers with a farseer using fortune on him creates an amazingly resilient core.

Not bad for a first list though. It just needs some tuning to maximize its potential. Remember the most important rule of an Eldar army: Think of it as a single entity rather than a collection of different units. Keep this in mind,and try again! *whips*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Ditto to what fuzzy said. Replace the Avatar, and the pathfinders, and add some jetbike backup for the Vypers. And Warp Spiders are an amazing buy (love them as well).
    I suggest the idea of a Farseer instead of an Avatar, but that's just me.

+ Reply to Thread