Librarium Online Forums banner

1500 point, new eldar player could use some help!

290 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  russellt 
#1 ·
So after what seems like an eternity i finaly decided a while back to go with eldar for my second 40k army, wanted something more competitive then the first one.

Decided on Ulthwe for the color scheme but winter themed, so still black/white as primary colors but replacing red/yellow for blue/silver as the main secondary colors with a snow/rocky base.

Already purchased a bunch of stuff for the army and even have had some of it painted already.

Here is what i have so far:

HQ (210 points)

Eldrad Ulthran (210 points)

Elites (121 points)

Fire dragons (121 points)
- Troupe Leader /w fire pike and crack shot
- 5 Fire Dragons /w fusion gun and melta bombs

Troops (354 points)

Black Guardians (count as dire avengers) (177 points)
- Exarch /w defend, bladestorm, power weapons and shimmershield
- 9 Dire avengers /w avenger shuriken catapults

Fast Attack (0 points)

Heavy Support (552 points)

Falcon (215 points)
- Starcannon, shuriken cannon, holo-fields, spirit stones and vectored engines

Wraithlord (140 points)
- Wraithsword, 2 flamers and a bright lance

Dark Reapers (197 points)
- Exarch /w reaper launcher and crack shot
- 4 Dark Reapers /w reaper launchers

I have some points left over and not really sure where to go with them.

Shining spears would be great since they are a great counter assault unit, i love the look of them and eventually i am planning on replacing the fire dragons with harlequins and those 2 units would work well together i think, plus after reading warrior coven it appeals to my sense of fluff that the only 2 aspect in the army would be reapers and shining spears.

I also considered adding a 6 man squad of pathfinders, mostly because i love the look of them or maybee some wraithguard and a warlock with conceal to group up with eldrad.

The problem mostly with all those ideas is i know for a fact how fragile 3t 4+ save model can be from playing a storm trooper heavy DH list so i am worried that only 2 squads of dire avengers in what is already a very low model count army is really not going to work.

Would love a little feedback on what i have so far, what changes i should think of making and units i should consider adding.

I definatly want something that is competitive, for friendly games and tourneys as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Eldrad Ulthran (210 points)

Cant go wrong with this choice.

Fire dragons (121 points)
- Troupe Leader /w fire pike and crack shot
- 5 Fire Dragons /w fusion gun and melta bombs

General conensous is to drop the exarch unless you want his flamer. If your out of range for your main force the 1 extra gun wont do you much good anyway. I'd go with 6 regular dragons.

Great choice considering your not going with any dedicated CtC units. However they will get cut up (if slowly) by any realy CtC unit that contacts them. Consider getting scorps or a small squad of harelys to back up your DA.

Falcon (215 points)
- Starcannon, shuriken cannon, holo-fields, spirit stones and vectored engines

Wraithlord (140 points)
- Wraithsword, 2 flamers and a bright lance

Dark Reapers (197 points)
- Exarch /w reaper launcher and crack shot
- 4 Dark Reapers /w reaper launchers

Falcon is fine.

Wraith lord is your one and only CtC unit in this army and with 2 attacks he's not that great at it, get another to backup your DA.

Exarch needs the Eldar Missile launcher and double shot, far far more usefull than crack shot and the reaper launcher as it gives you more flexability with ranged anti armour or a ranged blast attack.

#3 ·
Russelt gave a pretty good critique. *REPPED*

I would recommend that you go with his idea of getting a small squad of harlies to use as counter charge.

As far as the DR exarch is concerned try fast shot with the tempest launcher, laying down 3 templates a turn can be brutal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.