1500 Pt list w/ 2 Tetras - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

1500 Pt list w/ 2 Tetras

Hey everyone. I've just been sitting here at work, bored out of my mind, thinking about a list that I can build using my new Forge world tetras. I got two, and after a little messed-up shipping order, FW came through with the right pieces. It only took two tries. :yes:

They take a lot of work to get going, but once they are together, they look pretty good.

So anyway, I've always been trying to figure out how to work a couple of markerlights into a mech tau list. It seems like the skyray is the only way to make it work, and I missed the ioncannon and it's ability to hit a falcon a few times or kill a couple of extra marines.

All criticism/advice is very welcome.

Anyway, here goes:

HQ
    Shas'el Y'he Sha'is - 100 (CIB/PR/TA/HWMT)
    This is my standby unit. I know everyone debates about his usefullness, but I find him almost invaluable sometimes. He can destroy just about anything that's not vehicular/MC, aand can really cause an opponent to think twice about getting in his range. Plus, I like the model I have for him (forgeworld XV-89).

Shas'el M'yen Ka - 97 (PR/FB/TA/HWMT)
    You have to have at least one Helios 5 commander. You just do. Ask rikimaru why, if you don't understand. You just do. Nod your head...

ELITE
    Crisis Team 1 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    Good old fireknife standbys. I was going to go with the deathrain squad, but I find that I usually need a bit more all-purpose killness with these mech lists, so I kept the fireknives in their. 4 should be enough to do the trick.

Crisis Team 2 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    I might split this unit into a fireknive 4 and a fireknife 3, so they can't both die from one round of shooting. But I do like them together on the table. They just look cooler...

TROOPS
    Mounted Firewarriors - 200 (8 Firewarriors in Warfish [SMS/MT/TA/DL])

I've been having a debate with myself here. Is it better to take this set-up, or is it better to take a set up of 12 firewarriors in a standard devilfish? Same points, but very different in how you can use them (at least I think so). I went with the warfish mostly for the ability to shoot the SMS over terrain and not be shot back at. Opinions?

FAST ATTACK
    Tetra - 60 (Targetting Array, Decoy Launchers)

Here they are. Each with a markerlight and TL-pulse rifles. Nothing super-aweseome, but they can move fast and have a mobile markerlight. They won't win any 'deadliest unit' awards, but I think they look cool, and I want to try them out. As a side note, it was so hot here yesterday, that the resin that attaches them to their base actually bent, so now they are not so much skimmers as skimmers doing an endo.
    HEAVY SUPPORT
    Railhead - 180 (RG/SMS/MT/TL/DL)

Ionhead - 145 (IC/SMS/MT/TL/DL)
    For my whole heavy support choices, I've been thinking about running a 2-man BASS unit with 2 SDs, and 2 ionheads, for less points. It just might not fit the whole mobile theme. Whatcha think?

TOTAL - 1500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Y'he Sha'is View Post

HQ
    Shas'el Y'he Sha'is - 100 (CIB/PR/TA/HWMT)
    This is my standby unit. I know everyone debates about his usefullness, but I find him almost invaluable sometimes. He can destroy just about anything that's not vehicular/MC, aand can really cause an opponent to think twice about getting in his range. Plus, I like the model I have for him (forgeworld XV-89).

Shas'el M'yen Ka - 97 (PR/FB/TA/HWMT)
    You have to have at least one Helios 5 commander. You just do. Ask rikimaru why, if you don't understand. You just do. Nod your head...

ELITE
    Crisis Team 1 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    Good old fireknife standbys. I was going to go with the deathrain squad, but I find that I usually need a bit more all-purpose killness with these mech lists, so I kept the fireknives in their. 4 should be enough to do the trick.

Crisis Team 2 - 139 (TmLd/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    I might split this unit into a fireknive 4 and a fireknife 3, so they can't both die from one round of shooting. But I do like them together on the table. They just look cooler...

TROOPS

I've been having a debate with myself here. Is it better to take this set-up, or is it better to take a set up of 12 firewarriors in a standard devilfish? Same points, but very different in how you can use them (at least I think so). I went with the warfish mostly for the ability to shoot the SMS over terrain and not be shot back at. Opinions?

FAST ATTACK

Here they are. Each with a markerlight and TL-pulse rifles. Nothing super-aweseome, but they can move fast and have a mobile markerlight. They won't win any 'deadliest unit' awards, but I think they look cool, and I want to try them out. As a side note, it was so hot here yesterday, that the resin that attaches them to their base actually bent, so now they are not so much skimmers as skimmers doing an endo.
    HEAVY SUPPORT

Ionhead - 145 (IC/SMS/MT/TL/DL)
    For my whole heavy support choices, I've been thinking about running a 2-man BASS unit with 2 SDs, and 2 ionheads, for less points. It just might not fit the whole mobile theme. Whatcha think?

TOTAL - 1500
    Hi there, I think your HQ looks great, And personally I love to use the CIB. I find it great against my main two opponents who are eldar and dark eldar. Good amount of shots, decent AP, I love the weapon.

I use almost the exact set up with my Crisis Teams, a squad of two fireknives, never let me down, good for taking out light tanks, MEQs, monstrous creatures etc.

As for the troops, I beleive you should ditch the warfish, and max the squad of firewarriors inside. The idea of being able to hide behind cover and fire the SMS is all good, but I tend to rely on using the FOF more often than not. You get 4 shots from each SMS, but thats an extra 4 firewarriors difference if you take the other option, which means 8 shots from rapid firing pulse rifles in each squad that you miss out on.

Tetras, im not too sure about, as I dont have any. IMO I think if you use them right, then they can peform really well on the battlefield, they will just be pretty fragile. But highspeed markerlights, I like the idea.

Heavy support I like. I dont beleive you should go with Broadsides, stick to the full mech list. Broadsides arent that mobile, even with A.S.S. While everything else will be flying around more than 6 inches a turn, your broadsides might only get a 1 inch movement, if your that unlucky. Would you conicider dropping the Ionhead, then you could max out the squads of firewarriors, keep your warfish, and possibly add a Deathrain suit to your elites? In the end it will give you more firepower then u started, but not as long range or High AP. Just a thought, I dont use Ionheads, I dont like them all that much. Anyways, great list, keep up the good work
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Overall, I really like the list mate. Its nice to see someone using some of the less usual FW models in a Tau army, so kudos to you for that. Tetras are cool looking little skimmers so they'll look fantastic when painted up and on the tabletop. Despite this, I'm unsure how they would work ingame, but it doesn't really matter as they look so good.

Just a few points about the list I would like to bring up:

HQ - I'm not a huge fan of the CIB, but I know alot of people really like them. I think a helios would be more useful here, but thats just personal preference.

Troops - I like the Warfish (FOF here we come!) but I think the FW squads are too small. In a 1500 point game you will want more than 16 FWs. I would bump both squads up to full size and give each a 'Ui. Find the points for this by dumping the Ionhead - you have enough Anti-MEQ firepower already with those suits

Elites - I would definately split one of the fireknife teams up and make both of the resulting monat suits into team leaders with HWMT and TAs. More accurate, more flexible and harder to kill. You should have some points left over from dropping the Ionhead to do this.

Heavy Support - Drop the SMS from the Railheads. You should be keeping these guys quite far back in order to make use of the fantastic range of the railgun and to keep them safe from return fire. Stick with the cheapest option - BC's - as you should not be intending to use the secondary weapons system on a railhead.

Hope thiese suggestions help mate. Please remember they are only suggestions - its important you go with a list you are happy with:yes:. Good luck with the army, and especially good luck with the Tetras. Please let us know how the list plays.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I finally got a chance to play with the list, although it was against myself (alright, I admit, I have no friends, let the jokes come.... I'll give you a moment... OK, on to the report).

I actually played the game to try out my new Black Templar list, and not really to try out the tetras, but they were there, too. So it was an Omega level Recon Mission (randomly rolled) on a 25% terrain board (all area terrain, size 1, 2 & 3 in equal measure).

The tetras started on the board out in the open, and then used their scout move to rush behind cover. I think this could be a good use of them as they are fast vehicles, too, so you can get a long "re-positioning" due to the scout rule. I hung behind cover for 2 turns until some of the army got in, and then came out and shot the markerlight. They were intersting paired with the hammerheads, and performed the role my skyray has been performing relatively well.

The problem with them comes when you run across infantry that can't hurt the rest of your army (i.e. not strong enough to hurt the Hammerhead or devilfish, and they don't have any crisis to shoot at). 24" is a long way, and 8 basic bolter shots are what took down each tetra in the 3rd & 4th round. Rapid fire would be devastating.

I play relatively aggressively with my tau, mostly survive by limiting LOS (hence all of the SMS & such), and the tetras don't have the durability to last long with this style of play (open-topped land speeder, with less weapons, basically). I'm going to try them once or twice more, but I think that the skyray is the answer for my markerlight needs.

In summary, I think they could be of use, but at the same time, I think they are more of a defensive piece of equipment, best used way in the back of the army, and just within their 36" range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

+ Reply to Thread