My very first Tau army list (1500 pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My very first Tau army list (1500 pts)

Hello there,
    I just bought some Tau stuff a few days ago in the idea of starting playing a Tau army. Since it's my first list, I'm sure that I will need some advices and tips about all the units. Here is my attempt to have a decent list witch is I hope a good core to start with.

-------------------------
    HQ:

Tau Commander Shas'o XV8 BattleSuit (128 pts)

- Missile Pod
    - Fusion blaster
    - Multi-Tracker
    - Shield Generator

I mainly hope that this guy will help me hunting enemies vehicule.

Elites:

2x Crisis BattleSuit Shas'ui (156 pts)

- Burst Cannon
    - Twin-Linked Plasma Riffle
    - Hard-wired Multi-Tracker
    - Target Array

6x Stealth Battlesuits Shas'ui (180 pts)

Troops:

12x Shas'la Fire Warrior (220 pts)

- with develfish:
    - Targettting array
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi Tracker

- with develfish:
    - Targettting array
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi Tracker

12x Shas'la Fire Warrior (120 pts)

Should I replace the gun drone on the devilfish with Smart Missile Launcher ?

---------------------------
    Fast Attack:

3x Piranhas (190 pts)
    1 with Burst Cannon
    2 with Fusion Blaster

I wanted my Pirahanas to be a multi purpose harassment/hunting units with a chance of hunting light vehicules too.

8x Gun Drones (96 pts)

Heavy Support

1x Hammerhead (165 pts)

- Targetting array
    - Railgun
    - Two Burst Cannons
    - Multi Tracker
    - Decoy Launcher

Any comments or advices ? Thanks!

Tyranid 2500 pts
    Space marine 750 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AciDRaiN View Post
    Hello there,
    I just bought some Tau stuff a few days ago in the idea of starting playing a Tau army. Since it's my first list, I'm sure that I will need some advices and tips about all the units. Here is my attempt to have a decent list witch is I hope a good core to start with.

HQ:

Tau Commander Shas'o XV8 BattleSuit (128 pts)

- Missile Pod
    - Fusion blaster
    - Multi-Tracker
    - Shield Generator

I mainly hope that this guy will help me hunting enemies vehicule.
    The ranges of these weapons are a bit disparate, the fusion is only really useful at 12" and 6" for most vehicles (to be sure of damage), To be quite honest I would not limit the commander to killing vehicles, he is much more versatile than that with the enhanced BS, so you should take Plasma, Fusion, and HW multi (will explain this further later), this will allow the commander to kill not only vehicles but tough models like Termies, oblits and Marines.

Now here we come to the second point, take a Shas'El with targeting array (hence the HW multi) as its cheaper and is just as effective.

3rd point lose the shield generator, you will be more in danger from small arms fire than weaponry which necessitates the use of the SG, so you only need the 3+ save really, plus you should always aim to use cover and the jump shoot jump maneuver to avoid being shot plus the independent character rule which states he cannot be shot if not the closest unit.
    97pts is what you should be paying for your commander

Elites:

2x Crisis BattleSuit Shas'ui (156 pts)

- Burst Cannon
    - Twin-Linked Plasma Riffle
    - Hard-wired Multi-Tracker
    - Target Array
    Totally illegal, go back and read the codex rules for XV8's, basically you have 3 hard points to fill on an XV8, you have:

Burst cannon 1 hardpoint (HP)
    Twin linked Missile Pod (2 HP's twin linked weapons take up two HP's)
    Targeting array (1HP)
    Also you have a hard wired support system and only team leaders can take these, and I know from the points that you have not paid for the team leader upgrade.

So you have 4 HP's and an illegal hard wired system.
    So scrap the team and start again.

1st burst cannons cost 8pts for a reason, the reason is 'They are CRAP on XV8's', Tau have STR5 weapons falling out of their ears man, they do not need em on XV8's, what we do not have an abundance of is mid strength low AP weapons. The XV8 is the best resource we have to take these mid strength weapons so use it, now you can either take Fire knives (Missile pod, Plasma and Multi tracker) or Deathrains Twin linked Missile pods and targeting arrays, both suits are good with differing pluses.

Fire Knife is versatile and has Plasma to kill a wide range of targets, it does however lack in accuracy.
    Deathrain is lethally accurate with a near 90% hit rate, excels a taking down mid range armour and good at killing other stuff to.

So set ups:

Fire Knives:
    1 XV8 team leader PL, MP, TA HW multi (BS4 is a bonus) 77pts
    1 XV8 PL, MP and Multi 62pts
    Total 139 pts, able to target two separate units a turn if needed and the team leader is BS4

Deathrain:
    1 XV8 team leader TL MP and TA with HW TL 63pts
    1 XV8 with TL MP and TA 53pts
    Total 116pts for near perfect accuracy and two units targeted a turn if needed.

I would go for the deathrains, but if you face a lot of 3+SV armies the fire knives are a good safe bet

6x Stealth Battlesuits Shas'ui (180 pts)
    Excellent no silly add ons, very good choice

Troops:

- with develfish:
    - Targettting array
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi Tracker

- with develfish:
    - Targettting array
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi Tracker
    I would lose the multi trackers and targeting arrays, with just the burst cannon its not really that much of a benefit and you should drop the gun drones of as quickly as possible, if you are thinking of using the Warfish variant of the Devilfish then you need to swap out the drones for the SMS and take the TA's and Multi for 120pts total for each vehicle.

12x Shas'la Fire Warrior (120 pts)
    What are you going to do with these, the rest of your list is highly mobile, these will just get left behind and will not really contribute much to the list, if you have the models available I would go for a unit of Kroot and hounds (10 Kroot 8 hounds), these will be much more useful and can infiltrate, they also offer good assault capabilities.

Either that or lose the FW and use the points added to points saved elsewhere and get another Hammerhead

Fast Attack:

3x Piranhas (190 pts)
    1 with Burst Cannon
    2 with Fusion Blaster

I wanted my Pirahanas to be a multi purpose harassment/hunting units with a chance of hunting light vehicules too.
    I do not like Piranhas and I hope your not a beginner to 40K because to get the best out of these you really need to know what your doing, they are fragile (one wrong move and they will fall) and to me they are not that good at tank hunting, however if your adamant on taking them give israfel420 a PM and ask him for advice on how to use them.
    What I would advise is losing the burst cannon equipped Piranha and taking either a two vehicle squad or two single piranhas in separate fast attack slots, taking separate piranhas avoids any problems associated with squadrons (see the 40K rule book for squadron rules)

8x Gun Drones (96 pts)
    I love these liddle fellas, I use a full squad to protect my Shas'El and to add fire support, use the circular drone technique to protect the El (basically surround the El 360 degrees with the drones, do not join him the unit) and he cannot be targeted and the drones also add considerable firepower (I use mine to hunt transports, El kills the vehicle, drones kil the passengers).

Heavy Support

1x Hammerhead (165 pts)

- Targetting array
    - Railgun
    - Two Burst Cannons
    - Multi Tracker
    - Decoy Launcher

Perfect, nothing to add here about the way its equipped, only one real problem you only have one, you need two minimum.

However if you lose a Piranha and make the changes to the XV8 team and HQ you will have spent 1317 pts, so that leaves plenty for another HH at 165pts, totals 1482 pts. this leaves 18pts.

Now the list would look like this

HQ: Shas'El PL, FU, TA and HW multi 97pts

Elites:
    Fire Knives:
    1 XV8 team leader PL, MP, TA HW multi (BS4 is a bonus) 77pts
    1 XV8 PL, MP and Multi 62pts
    Total 139 pts

Stealths X 8 180pts

Troops:

2 x 12 FW with Shas'Ui upgrade 130pts per team
    2 X Devilfish with SMS, Multi, TA and Decoys 120pts per vehicle
    500pts total

Fast attack

2 Piranhas with TA and decoys 70pts each
    140pts total

8 gun drones 96pts

Heavy:
    2 X Hammerheads with Railgun, BC, Multi and Decoys 165pts each
    330pts total

Total 1482 points.

The only real problem I see is no markelights at all, but I have avoided advising about this because you have not included any I have a feeling you may not have the models (I have tried to stick to your model list as closely as possible), however I would advise getting some (possibly a Skyray, if you buy the skyray model you get all the Hammerhead parts included in the box, so I would advise buying this next).
    One bit of advise I would give, you have 18 pts left, so lose one FW (you can live without a full team believe me) take the basic Fire knife (leave the team leader as he is) and use the points to take another Shas'El either Fireknife multi (PL, MP, TA and HW multi) or another helios like you already have, I would really advise this as they are very effective (a lot more effective than a two man fire knife team believe me).

Perfected list as follows:

HQ: 2 X Shas'El PL, FU, TA and HW multi 97pts
    194 pts total

Elites:

Fire Knife XV8 team leader PL, MP, TA HW multi (BS4 is a bonus) 77pts

Stealths X 8 180pts

Troops:

1 x 12 FW with Shas'Ui upgrade 130pts
    1 x 11 FW with Shas'Ui upgrade 120pts
    2 X Devilfish with SMS, Multi, TA and Decoys 120pts per vehicle
    490pts total

Fast attack

2 Piranhas with TA and decoys 70pts each
    140pts total

8 gun drones 96pts

Heavy:
    2 X Hammerheads with Railgun, BC, Multi and Decoys 165pts each
    330pts total

This will total 1492 pts

Anyway hope that helps you out a bit and remember if you need tips on how to use the Piranhas contact israfel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Thanks for all these tips, I will make good use of them!
    Tyranid 2500 pts
    Space marine 750 pts

+ Reply to Thread