Fighting Wraith-heavy Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting Wraith-heavy Eldar

Buddy of mine is beginning to use a very Wraith-heavy army, ie lots of Wraithguard and a couple Wraithlords. I believe he'll be using the Farseer to Guide the guard and Doom my poor Kroot.

1.) Any ideas for an effective counter to tough, armored enemies? The main advantage I'll have are sheer numbers -- Wraithboys are few and their weapons slow -- but is there something else I can rely on? I'm still bolstering my list, so I'd love to hear your opinion on any unit/combination of units. I'll probably be relying on eviscerators to take down the Wraithlords, but that thing can be scary in close combat.

Which brings me to ...

2.) House rules have changed close combat. Essentially, all models are treated as independent characters; a model may only fight an opposing model it is in base-to-base contact with. This means I can no longer meatshield my Shapers. House rules also have modified ranged combat, dictating that the targeted models nearest the firing model(s) will be hit first, and hits will be allocated progressively further back in the ranks. The stipulation that all models must take one hit before any model takes a second hit is still in effect. Thoughts on how to modify Kroot tactics for this would be appreciated! :)

I'm open to tactics for both the unmodified WH40K ruleset and the alternative set outlined above. Thanks!

~sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

In your case the only elites in a kroot army will be useful for their posion attack.
    Prey they don't take you alive

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

For unmodified: Kroot packs with Shapers armed with Eviscerators will do you lots of good here. Kroot Hound packs as well. Get them into CC and the game will be your's, as far as the Wraithguard go.

For both: Snipers and poisoned attacks will help a lot. You want to tie up the Wraithlords in CC, so use the poisoned attack Elites for that. Eviscerators will help in the unmodified ruleset.

Keep expensive, non-expendable models away from the Wraithguard! i.e., Shaper Councils or a Master Shaper. Swarming them will give you a huge advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your advice!

Both of you suggested Headhunters -- thank you for that! One attack at 50% wound rate is preferable to two attacks at ~17% each. It's too bad that the poison doesn't negatively affect armor saves, but I suppose I should be thankful that the Eldar machines are affected by poison at all ;)

Good call on the snipers, Lost Nemesis, and on keeping the expensive non-expendables away from the guard. I guess that means tank hunting... or moral support! Now if only I could get my hands on enough Hounds to make a full pack.. :)

Thanks again to both of you!

~sky

+ Reply to Thread