1000 point swarmish list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

1000 point swarmish list

I was looking over my inventory and noticed I could potentially field a swarm army. I spent a few minutes creating a classic swarmish list. I wanted to get some input

=============
    1000 pt Tyranid Army

A) HQ
    3 Tyranid Warriors – Scything Talons – Rending Claws – Extended Carapiece - Adrenal Glands (+1 I) – Leaping – Flesh Hooks
    3 Tyranid Warriors – Scything Talons – Rending Claws – Extended Carapiece - Adrenal Glands (+1 I) – Leaping – Flesh Hooks

ELITE

C) TROOPS
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts

D) FAST ATTACK
    1 Ravener – Rending Claws – Scything Talons

E) HEAVY SUPPORT
    Sniperfex – Venom Cannon – Barbed Strangler – Enhanced Senses – Fleshooks

==============
    QUESTIONS/CAVEATS
    - I thought it was best to have 3 sets of Warriors, instead of two strong units of 5 and 4 respectively.

- In a few 1000 point games, I've seen at least 2-3 armour units. So I thought it was best to field 2 Sniperfexes, instead of just one.

- I attempted to fill all my troops slots, before bulking up the army. I would have preferred groups of 14-16, but who knows - it may be better this way because...

- I thought 75 models, 94 wounds is pretty good at 1000 points, but I'm not sure.

- I think the units are pretty basic, but should provide some interesting problems due to the swarm's size. I'd apprecaite any comments on units to add and what units I should remove to make this addition.

- I only added flesh hooks because they were cheap and less than 5 points to spare. The only alternative was to give one of the Snipefexes a WS upgrade.

Please let me know if there's anything I should do to change the list. Thanks in advance

Last edited by RudyPicardo; July 17th, 2007 at 21:03.
    Rudy Wilfred Picardo
    Tyranid Player
    Current Record (W/L/D) 143/112/60
    Recent Battle - 1500 pt draw vs. IG player (mission: Seek And Destroy)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by RudyPicardo View Post
    I was looking over my inventory and noticed I could potentially field a swarm army. I spent a few minutes creating a classic swarmish list. I wanted to get some input

=============
    1000 pt Tyranid Army

A) HQ

ELITE

C) TROOPS
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts
    10 Spinegaunts

D) FAST ATTACK
    1 Ravener – Rending Claws – Scything Talons

E) HEAVY SUPPORT

==============
    QUESTIONS/CAVEATS
    - I thought it was best to have 3 sets of Warriors, instead of two strong units of 5 and 4 respectively.

- In a few 1000 point games, I've seen at least 2-3 armour units. So I thought it was best to field 2 Sniperfexes, instead of just one.

- I attempted to fill all my troops slots, before bulking up the army. I would have preferred groups of 14-16, but who knows - it may be better this way because...

- I thought 75 models, 94 wounds is pretty good at 1000 points, but I'm not sure.

- I think the units are pretty basic, but should provide some interesting problems due to the swarm's size. I'd apprecaite any comments on units to add and what units I should remove to make this addition.

- I only added flesh hooks because they were cheap and less than 5 points to spare. The only alternative was to give one of the Snipefexes a WS upgrade.

Please let me know if there's anything I should do to change the list. Thanks in advance
    Your only problem is going to be the delivery of your warriors. If they don't reliably make it into combat, your spinegaunts aren't going to hold up with only 1 ravener to back 'em up. Gonna have to use cover / behind cover movement very wisely, and I'd value your spinegaunts a little more since losing them may hurt you a bit. Obviously pop armor first w/ the fexes. I'd consider moving the fexes up w/ this army, screening your warriors and ravener a bit with 'em. If they get up close, in a 1k they might actually be useful, and at the least they'll help make sure the warriors and such get stuck in.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

I have to disagree with MV on this one, I think the warriors will do fine, between a gaunt horde and two sniperfexes most people will be shooting at those instead of the fexes.

I've only got one set of assault warriors, the worst they've made it to combat with is, a warrior and a half left, if you got nine of them, that says at least 4 will make it to combat a live in my book.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    I have to disagree with MV on this one, I think the warriors will do fine, between a gaunt horde and two sniperfexes most people will be shooting at those instead of the fexes.

I've only got one set of assault warriors, the worst they've made it to combat with is, a warrior and a half left, if you got nine of them, that says at least 4 will make it to combat a live in my book.
    I think we agree, Path :yes:

Just cautioning him that he'd better make sure the warriors get to combat. 60 spinegaunts soak fire and mob very well, but w/out synapse they're even more worthless as the main hitters.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -49 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by RudyPicardo View Post
    I don't have much to offer in the ways of advice, but I have a couple of questions for my own benefit..
    Considering this army would be used in an enviorment where you rolled for random missions, would it be flexible enough to function in such an enviorment? If, say, there was only 4 warriors left after 2 rounds divided between two squads, would that be enough to keep the opponent from outmanouver you in the case of a mobile opponent? Or is the sheer number of units enough to avoid being left in the dust?

I imagine the opponent dividing the slow part of his force into two parts, and moving those two into rear positions far from each other. Thereafter he starts shooting your warriors with the aim of reducing your synapse to just one unit, forcing you to commit your whole force to chase one part of his force or risk loosing synapse. Would that be a problem, or would the area of the board covered by such a swarm make such tactics hard? Or perhaps it wouldn't work that way?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

If your opponent were to divide his forces as you said, slow stuff and fast stuff the safest thing to do would likely be get the warriors behind the carnifexes to keep the warriors alive, charge the spinegaunts across the field to deal with the slow stuff, and train the carnifexes on taking down anything that moves faster then you do.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

If the opponent did that, aye, as Path mentions, just start potting anything quick with the fexes, especially vehicles. There are very few opponents outside of Tau/Eldar that can perform in said fashion, and Sniperfexes excel at eliminating even high-armor skimmers. Similarly, spinegaunts - once stuck in - are fantastic at killing T3 close combat opponents, due to the inherent numerical advantage they'll enjoy.

As Path said, let your opponent divide his forces as such, hide the warriors behind cover and fexes, and move toward the most stationary target while potting skimmers/fasties with the fexes.

Your synapse is fragile, but you want to go swarmy, so you sacrifice some functionality as a result. No point min-maxing everything in every list you make. If you wanted more durability, you could consider a cheap-o tyrant.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

+ Reply to Thread