1000 Pt Friendly (Need Advice) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Pt Friendly (Need Advice)

Played a couple games today using my old BA army proxied for Tau. Got a bit of a feel for what units I like/dislike and got an idea of my "Tau Playstyle". As you can tell I like the XV8s alot, especially the Deathrain setup as well as Kroot w/ hounds. I plan on buying/painting towards this 1000pt list in the next couple days and would like adivce towards changes before I start my purchases.

I see anti-tank being a problem with only 1 XV88 but want to keep him due to being a fan of how the model looks with under arm rails. Also I might have gone a bit overboard with the Deathrains. I have thought about swapping out a Fireknife and team of Deathrains for a Railhead but want to hear from some more experianced Tau players 1st.

As always thanks in advance for any advice/comments/critisisms.

(1) Shas’El Crisis - Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, H.W. Multi Tracker
    97 Pts

(1) Shas’Ui Crisis – Team Leader, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array,
    H.W. Target Lock, H.W. Multi Tracker
    (1) Shas’Ui Crisis - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi Tracker
    144 Pts

(1) Shas’Ui Crisis – Team Leader, T.L. Missile Pod, Targeting Array, H.W. Target Lock
    (1) Shas’Ui Crisis - T.L. Missile Pod, Targeting Array
    116 Pts

(1) Shas’Ui Crisis – Team Leader, T.L. Missile Pod, Targeting Array, H.W. Target Lock
    116 Pts

(6) Fire Warriors
    60 Pts

(10) Kroot w/ ( Kroot Hounds
    118 Pts

118 Pts

( Gun Drones

(1) Broadside Battlesuit – Team Leader, A.S.S., H.W. Target Lock, H.W. Multi Tracker,
    H. W. Drone Controller, (2) Shield Drone
    125 Pts

990 Pts

Last edited by dennismathys; July 21st, 2007 at 07:08. Reason: Typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I see anti-tank being a problem with only 1 XV88 but want to keep him due to being a fan of how the model looks with under arm rails. Also I might have gone a bit overboard with the Deathrains. I have thought about swapping out a Fireknife and team of Deathrains for a Railhead but want to hear from some more experianced Tau players 1st.

Actually I don't think that Anti-tank is going to be the problem. You have the Helios El' and the Broadside capable of taking on the AV 13-14 tanks, and everything else is going to get dominated by the deathrains and fireknives.

What I would be worried about is massed infantry. I did a quick count, the maximum amount of shots that this list can fire a turn is 70, that is if everything is in rapid fire range. That of course means that you will regularly be shooting about 40 shots a turn, as most units you have, have a bs of 3 and you have no markerlights, you will be missing about half of those shots a turn. Personally I think you really need more Fire warriors, but onto the list.

(1) Shas’El Crisis - Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, H.W. Multi Tracker
    97 Pts
    No probs here, nice anti tank/termie killer.

144 Pts

116 Pts

116 Pts
    You said it yourself, in a 1000 point list this is overkill. I love XV8's and I use large numbers in my 1500 and 2000 pt list, but you are throwing all your points into the Elite basket. The points you are spending on these guys could be used better elsewhere I think, so I would drop the Fireknife (MP, PR) unit, split one Deathrain (T.L. MP) unit into monats therefore being able to drop the team leader upgrade and the target lock. Alterantively you could drop one Fireknife and one deathrain (again making the upgrades unnesecary) making two monats in that fashion.

(6) Fire Warriors
    60 Pts

118 Pts

118 Pts
    So it looks like you are just putting in the minimum unit of Firewarriors because well, they are 1+, you have to take them but why spend anything more than the base minimum.
    Well I will tell you why, because they are great. They have the best infantry weapon in the game (in terms of AP STR and range) they double their shots when you get close and they can really do seroius damage. I would use the points saved from the XV8's to increase this unit size to at least 10 (though you can get 11) and get a Devilfish with decoy launchers. It is fast moving, one of the toughest transports in the game and gives you access to the Fish of fury technique. Overall at this point level I think that would be a better option. When you increase to 1500 and 2000 then absolutley get some more crisis.

I like kroot, kroot are fun, no problems there.

( Gun Drones
    Gun drones are great, run him with the Shas'El for added protection. They are great little units and I like the inclusion here.

(1) Broadside Battlesuit – Team Leader, A.S.S., H.W. Target Lock, H.W. Multi Tracker,
    125 Pts
    You don't need a Target lock on a unit of 1. THe TL allows him to shoot at a seperate unit to the rest of his squad.......seeing as he doesn't have a rest of his squad, you can lose it.

SO with my suggestions you would have.

Shas'El PR, FB, TA, HWMT

XV8 Team Leader MP, PR, TA, HWMT

XV8 TL MP, TA

2xXV8 TL MP, TA. One w/ team leader, HWTL

12 Firewarriors
    Devilfish, Decoy launchers

10 Kroot, 8 Hounds
    10 Kroot, 8 Hounds

8 Gun drones

Broadside.

995 points (you might want to check that point total, I am going from memory though I am pretty sure it is right).

Anyway, I hope I gave you something to think about.
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by dennismathys View Post
    Played a couple games today using my old BA army proxied for Tau. Got a bit of a feel for what units I like/dislike and got an idea of my "Tau Playstyle". As you can tell I like the XV8s alot, especially the Deathrain setup as well as Kroot w/ hounds. I plan on buying/painting towards this 1000pt list in the next couple days and would like adivce towards changes before I start my purchases.

97 Pts

144 Pts

116 Pts

116 Pts

(6) Fire Warriors
    60 Pts

118 Pts

118 Pts

( Gun Drones

125 Pts

990 Pts
    Hey there,
    Very rarely have I seen a Tau list being played with only 6 firewarriors and 6 times the number in kroot. Dont get me wrong, Kroot are great, but I never leave home without a good number of firewarriors in any list.

As what Dave has said, and alot of what he has said I totally agree with, I dont beleive you are lacking anti-tank either. Your broadside will be able to demolish most things, and the shield drones will help protect him while he does. Your 'El will also be able to take care of whatever tanks he comes across, just be careful with him, one lance or lascannon shot and hes gone. Always keep another unit closer, such as your gun drones. Circle them around him, and he will never be the closest unit, plus their pinning weapons will give you more defensive power.

I suggest dropping one squad of the deathrains, 1 is good, 2 squads is a bit overboard in a 1000 points game. Drop them, and max out your firewarrior squad. You need more massed firepower. Drop the target lock on your Broadside, not needed, as already mentioned. Id drop a shield drone and the HW multitracker on your broadside also. Now this leaves you with 156 points. Max out the firewarriors, with Shas'Ui, leaving you with 86 points. Give them a devilfish with decoys, and then they will be better able to keep up with the rest of your army. With infiltrating Kroot and Jump shoot hump Crisis Suits, the devilfish can be up there supporting them wherever needs be. It will also be a good unit to capture objectives or hold table quarters etc.

Hope this helps, peace out
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Id also maybe suggest trying to squeeze in a Hammerhead with railgun in there somewhere. Maybe get rid of your Broadside and some other things. The Railhead is your best friend
    Last edited by Shad0w_Reaper; July 23rd, 2007 at 05:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off thanks for the suggestions to those that replied. I was certain that the two units of kroot were going to be enough to handle infantry at the 1000pt level, they performed awsome for me but apparently I over estimated thier abilities...as well as underestimated the abilites of the Helios and BASS at destroying armor.

After reading the comments, reading alot more posts here and over at ATT and after managing to play another proxy game I have redone my list. I removed the typo from the BASS when it was a 2 man team, got rid of 1 Deathrain team, split the Fireknives and added some more FWs and a DF.

One thing I would like a couple opinions on if possible. Is it worth getting rid of the Stims and the Shas’Ui w/Bonding Knife to make the FWs 12 strong?

Here is the new list and as always thanks in advance for any help.

(1) Shas’El Crisis - Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array,
    Stimulant Injector, H.W. Multi Tracker
    107 Pts

62 Pts

62 Pts

(1) Shas’Ui Crisis - Team Leader, T.L. Missile Pod, Targeting Array, H.W. Target Lock
    116 Pts

(10) Fire Warriors – Shas’Ui, Bonding Knife, Devilfish, Decoy Launchers
    200 Pts

118 Pts

118 Pts

( Gun Drones

(1) Broadside Battlesuit - Team Leader, A.S.S., H.W. Multi Tracker
    H.W. Drone Controller, (2) Shield Drone
    120 Pts

999 Pts
    Last edited by dennismathys; July 26th, 2007 at 03:51. Reason: Mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by dennismathys View Post
    First off thanks for the suggestions to those that replied. I was certain that the two units of kroot were going to be enough to handle infantry at the 1000pt level, they performed awsome for me but apparently I over estimated thier abilities...as well as underestimated the abilites of the Helios and BASS at destroying armor.

After reading the comments, reading alot more posts here and over at ATT and after managing to play another proxy game I have redone my list. I removed the typo from the BASS when it was a 2 man team, got rid of 1 Fireknife, 1 Deathrain and added some more FWs and a DF.

One thing I would like a couple opinions on if possible. Is it worth getting rid of the Stims and the Shas’Ui w/Bonding Knife to make the FWs 12 strong?

Here is the new list and as always thanks in advance for any help.

(1) Shas’El Crisis - Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array,
    Stimulant Injector, H.W. Multi Tracker
    107 Pts

62 Pts

62 Pts

(1) Shas’Ui Crisis - Team Leader, T.L. Missile Pod, Targeting Array, H.W. Target Lock
    116 Pts

(10) Fire Warriors – Shas’Ui, Bonding Knife, Devilfish, Decoy Launchers
    200 Pts

118 Pts

118 Pts

( Gun Drones

(1) Broadside Battlesuit - Team Leader, A.S.S., H.W. Multi Tracker
    H.W. Drone Controller, (2) Shield Drone
    120 Pts

999 Pts
    This list is much better, more tactical options IMO. As for what you were asking advice on:

" Is it worth getting rid of the Stims and the Shas’Ui w/Bonding Knife to make the FWs 12 strong?"

Keep the Shas'ui, that extra leadership is worth it. As for the bonding knife, well I guess it can be dropped, I find them very useful. Drop the stims and just keep your drones circled around your Shas'El, and he wont be shot at, thus he wont really need them. If you drop the stims, then you can get another firewarrior, as for the B knife, its entirely up to you and what youd prefer, extra firepower, or the ability to be able to regroup under half strength.

+ Reply to Thread