Lord with veil - Assault Bait - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord with veil - Assault Bait

I've only started building my necrons so I don't know how well this tactic would work.

Put a 20 man squad of warriors in front of my army for assault bait vs heavy CC armies. They get charged, My lord teles out, and I shoot at whatever assaulted me my next turn.

Do you guys think this strategy would work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

err well...yeah...i can see this working, but whats gonna shoot at it? and youve gotta make sure your opponent isint to..."pro"ish, or he wont fall for it. but yeah, it sounds like a cool manuever
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Alien,

I think he means Veil out WITH the squad of necron boys being assaulted.

I think it's a good tactics, just be aware of losing combat and being swept away.
    Necrons are sturdy in combat due to MEq toughness WS and WBB.. however, they're no CC elite, so there's a chance you'll be smashed and ran through without even being able to use the veil.

The tactic will also work better with multiple Lords (although only one veil) and monoliths to help with whipping units out and recycling.

I would personally advise - best to avoid CC at all costs though, unless you're bound to win.

A risk is still a risk.

Mind you, I'm no Necron expert, and I'm sure Kore, Sparty, joNESIE or some other necron expert will be here to advise in due course.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

well yeah, i know he'll veil out with the troops, but i was getting that the general plan would be that there were other necron units to fire at the cc unit that is left exposed. But yes, heed joneies words of wisdom, Warriors have been known to get swept outta cc by cc oriented troops, so if those are khorne berserkers charging you, or an assualt squad with chaplain, then its probably best not to try, unless you've kitted out your lord with gaze of flame...and maybe lighting field.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have immortals you have a good chance of surviving even khorne.

If you have another lord you might want to put the gaze of flame and chronometron on this lord.

The reasons are thus:

Immortals are tougher so they can take a hit better. They also have assault weapons so even if veiled they can still shoot the 24 inches.

Gaze of flame increases your survivability, and the chronometron will help if you do break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A twenty model unit ought to survive the assault phase, but how many points are you willing to give up to achieve that result. Remember, the unit will only have a 12" range after veiling, and veiling within 12" of anything risks scattering onto the unit you want to draw in. There goes over 500 points of your army. I once veiled ten immortals (T5, remember) against Sisters and scattered 10" towards them. I destoyed a bunch of stuff, but a unit of Sisters unloaded from a Rhino, flamed me with devine guidance, and let Celestine mop me up with her flamer and a charge. I lost all ten and didn't get my WBB. I won the battle anyway, but that one hurt.

Likewise, don't put too much faith in Necron survivability. Ten Sisters with flamers have wiped out a squad of 10 warriors against me, and you don't even want to think about what 15 Khorne Berserkers would do to you.

Still, my primary objection is the scatter risk and the potential loss of 20 gauss shots. What's the real difference between veiling them and starting those same twenty warriors on your front line and moving six inches forward? Assault troops will be coming as fast as they can, anyway, and they might move into range if they get first turn. That would free up the Veil for, say, ten immortals with a nice, safe, 24" range.

Weaf

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. July 24th, 2007, 15:37