Thinking of getting Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of getting Tau

Hiya everyone, this is my first post so i'll try to get right to the point. I'm a Necron player and i'd like to get a new army and the tau peaked my interest due to being all shooty like,not to mention the tech. so my question is what are some of the majors perks and/or disadvantages to the tau, to better help my decission of getting a brand spanking new tau army (and possibly give some advice on what to get first).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Hey, another convert to the Greater Good!

Without meaning to sound rude, condescending or anything like that, your first purchase has got to be the Tau Empire Codex. Read this several times to get a feel for how the Tau work, then browse through this forum for articles and so forth about the tactics and units. This will help you make your decision on your army style.

There are several ways to play a Tau army: Mech, which is very mobile (troops mounted in transports, lots of faster-moving units like Crisis Battlesuits, Piranhas and so forth), Static (like its name suggests: the Gunline, entrenched heavy support, not much transport or movement) or Hybrid (a bit of both). It will be important to decide what way you intend to use your Tau before you start laying out any money, as you will save yourself a lot of unnecessary expenditure if you do this.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks alot for the advice i'll be sure to do what you suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Hey JJman, welcome to the Tau forum and LO! Good to have you aboard dude. Now lets see if I can give you a bit of advice on collecting and fighting for the greater good!

As eiglepulper said, the absolute best place to start is with a copy of the codex in front of you, checking out unit types and seeing which you like. Be sure to look at some of the army lists in the Tau Army Lists subforum and check out some of the excellent Tau tacticas written by the members of this forum. Once you have decided on a list, post it up in the Tau Army Lists forum for helpful advice and critique. Once your list is refined you can buy models safe in the knowledge your money is well spent.

If you cannot wait for that point to buy some models then worry not! There are a few units your army MUST have. These are the crisis suit commander and one squad of firewarriors. Each and every Tau list must include these two units, so you can buy them with no fear of wasting money. The first squad a of firewarriors will also provide you with some great test subjects to practice and refine your paint scheme.

Have fun fighting for the greater good mate. I'll see you around the forum.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Being a new player my self I would like to make a suggestion.

Against what RP252 I would not suggest getting the Crisis Suit Commander and just get a regular Crisis Suit. I personally don't use the experimental war gear it gives you, and I don't think I ever will. Also I don't know may people that do that haven't been playing for a wile or ar making a fluff army. Oh but every thing else Rp252 said was good.

that's all
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Against what RP252 I would not suggest getting the Crisis Suit Commander and just get a regular Crisis Suit. I personally don't use the experimental war gear it gives you, and I don't think I ever will.
    This is quite true, there is no actual need to get the Crisis Commander model itself, merely an XV8 crisis suit to function as your commander. You don't need to get the Commander suit unless you think you are going to use the extra options; it does give you some interesting options to use over the basic crisis suit though, such as extra heads, and so can provide some variation to the appearance of the crisis suits in your army.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by jjman26 View Post
    so my question is what are some of the majors perks and/or disadvantages to the tau,
    As a reasonably recent convert to Tau myself, here are the major things I've discovered about them over the last few months:

1. The Devilfish is probably the most effective troop transport in the game.

2. The Pulse Rifle is an extremely effective weapon; a Str 5 weapon that shoots out to 30" is not to be trifled with.

3. The "Fish of Fury" tactic has always been extremely successful for me.

4. Crisis suits give you the opportunity to tailor your Elites to what you want best but often a simple option, eg a twin-linked missile pod plus a targetting array can easily be the best choice.

5. Jump infantry ability, which allows you to move again during the assault phase (usually back into some sort of cover), is a very definite bonus and should be used to the greatest effect.

6. Although Tau are clearly not meant for protracted HTH combat, Ive had Fire Warrior squads see off Genestealers and Space Marines in HTH. OK, this might not be the most usual outcome but it has happened. In addition, I've had Kroot squads see off Harlequins, Fire Dragons and Warp Spiders. Again, this might not be the expected outcome, but it has happened. On the other side of the coin I've lost whole squads of Kroot to flamers before they had any chance to strike. In essence, what I'm trying to say is that although Tau may be considered weak in HTH (and they probably are in all truth), do not be panicked if you have to commit them in HTH, they might well do far better than you - or your opponent - expects!

7. Don't be seduced by the wealth of technology that is available to the Tau in your early stages. Start your Army simply and learn well how it plays before you branch out into the more exotic options. In this way you should also get a feel for whether the more mobile or static variants best suits your playing style. By and large I've found that Tau play best as a combined arms army and that mutual support between various squads is important and thus prolonging that support is the most effective way to play.

8. Forget about Vespids but never leave home without your Kroot - they are your very best friends!

9. The Hamerhead tank is probably the best AT weapon platform in 40K.

10. Markerlights can be extremely useful in a whole host of different ways and can end up giving your opponent no end of pain.

11. Tau have a lot of unusual rules so it is definitely worth doing your homework in advance. Be prepared to explain a lot of what you have or can do to your opponents since many seem to be quite overwhlemed by Tau technology and abilities. Mind you, there have been times when I became thoroughly confused myself, so it is definitely worth starting simply and developing your Army as you get used to what each part of it can do.

12. Finally, there is a whole host of extremely good tactica on these Boards. Take the time to do thorough research about how others have fared with various options, and don't be afraid to ask for advice, however banal it might seem. Everyone on here has had to start at some point, and you will quickly find that the advice is both timely, invariably friendly and very helpful.

Most of all, have fun! I've tried my hand at any number of 40K armies over the years but I've found that playing Tau gives me the greatest satisfaction. There is bound to be a combination of troops, models and tactics that will suit you, and although it might take some time to get there, I assure you it will be well worth it in the end.

"For the Greater Good!"

~ Ravenscraig~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow guys thanks all this stuff has been really helpfull in my decision as of yet, so i've actually decided to go get myself the codex and then see if the army suits my playing style by playing a few games at my friends place with proxys.Anyways thanks alot to all of you guys the advice is really appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ad ive decided to give you all rep...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll point out just about every list has AT LEAST 1 hammer head in it. the hammer head will never be a waste of $$$ trust me in any game over 500 points you are going to be using one.

also ill point out some things that tau dont handle well.

1. speed!! an army that can get across the board by turn 2 is probabily your worst fear, tho tau CAN deal with this i have found i need to make my lists have the ability to deal with kamakazi type armys

2. mass volume of mid S fire, tank hunting heavy bolters and tank hunting autocannons will easily turn any tau players smile to a frown make no mistake 4 las cannons arent as big a threat as 4 tank hunters with auto cannons, tau are skimmers so most hits are going to be glancing anyhow 1-2 glancing hits are no big deal 4-5??? ouch!!!

3. hand to hand combat. it happens ocasionally a fire warrior squad will defeat a SM assult squad even with a power weapon. but dont count on it. odds will be against you. but you will see heroic results aprox every 5-6 assults.

4. need to rely on cover. the less cover on the table the worse off you are going to be. you really need to insist on a balanced table 25-35% terrain and a moderate amount of that to be area terrain or level 2 terrain.
    " i once attempted to help an inquisitor who had stumbled over a cliff, but i couldn't help thinking no good was going to come of him yelling DIE HERITIC!!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast