Newbie Question on Jet Packs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Lynn Haven/Panama City, FL
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x0)

Newbie Question on Jet Packs

I'm a novice Tau player with only a couple of games under my belt. I was playing a team game last week with a more experianced Tau player and he stated that Tau equipped with Jet Packs don't make Dangerous Terrain tests when landing in difficult terrain. Everyone else seemed familiar with the rule, but I can't find anything in the Codex of main rule book that says the difficult terrain rule doesn't apply to Jet Packs.

Does anyone have a reference for such a rule?

2. Remove Advertisements

Prowling LO, looking for fresh meat.
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

Models with jet packs are still jump infantry.

So if they attempt to enter difficult terrain with their 2nd move, it can only play out one of two ways -

1. They make a difficult terrain test, meaning they move between 1 and 6", but don't take a dangerous terrain test.
    2. They can move up to 6", but take a dangerous terrain test if they land in terrain.

The wording on pg 55 suggests that the move they make is performed with the jetpack, and thus subject to dangerous terrain tests (i.e. point 2).

The wording is very vague, which doesn't help.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Northern Ireland
    5 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

Concur totally with Rork. Use the jetpack in the Movement phase, you take a Dangerous Terrain test if you finish your move in difficult terrain. In the Assault Phase you HAVE to take a Dangerous Terrain test as you do not have the option *not* to use the jetpack.

However, I'm not quite so certain that the wording is vague on P.55 BGB. The Jet Packs section is included on the Jump Infantry rules page because that is indeed what models so equipped are: Jump Infantry. They have the following descriptive phrases in the paragraphs of their rules:

1. "special type of jump pack".
    2. "designed to provide....rather than a means of getting into close combat".
    3. "differ from jump packs in the following ways".

None of these suggest in any way that the jetpack is NOT a jump pack. On the contrary, they confirm it as a special type, with a different purpose in life, and that it only differs from a standard JP in three ways: its distance of movement allowed in the Movement Phase, the model so equipped may move in the Assault Phase regardless and the model may use Rapid Fire Weapons to full effect without penalty.

The rules for Jet Packs are *in addition to* all the rules for the jump packs.

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Panama City Beach, Florida
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Yo, Dan! This is Eric. We had the same situation come up a few months ago; I was allowing Anthony to skip the dangerous tests(thinking "jets" and "packs" were completely different), but Matt pointed out to us how you do in fact take the test.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread