Welcome to Librarium Online!
Recently at my local GW store, me and my friends decided to meet up every week or so to play 40k.
I play Tau or imp Guard, my ally uses Imp Guard and our buddies (well, enemies in 40k's sake) control Tyranids and Necrons.
6 or 7 straight weeks and we've been literally crushed by these 2 menaces and are really starting to become a pain in our backsides!
We each field around 700pts to 800pts. The table we play on has a huge forest in the middle so many of our units have no line of sight to the enemy. The table is 48' by 48' so we play on a resonably small battlefield.
I usually field a squad of 12 fire warriors (all with pulse rifles) with a devilfish, a squad of 12 kroot, a squad of stealthsuits (one with fusion blaster) and a Shas' El commander Battlesuit.
My friend usually fields aload of mass guardsman each with a grenade launcher and a heavy weapon in each squad and a Leman Russ Battletank.
My enemy who usually deploys opposite to my side is a Tyranid player and uses LOTS of termagaunts and a Brood of Genestealers. And he also has 3 Tyranid warriors each armed with venom cannons (i think) and a Carnifex with Sything Talons and a big gun (I don't really know nids':hmm
His buddy fields loads of necron warriors and his Lord always uses a resurrection orb so its nearly impossible to make them phase out. He sometimes uses either a squad of Immortals or Tomb Spiders.
Ok thats that.
Sorry if iv'e bored you but could ya please offer a humble servant of the greater good a helping hand and tell me how i can finally beat these fellas.
p.s Forgive Ye Spelling
Last edited by Matt911; July 28th, 2007 at 20:39. Reason: adding a p.s?
Nids: High volume shots. Virtually any weapon a Tau carries can beat a Nid's armor save so lay down the shots.
Necrons: Plasma rifles. Plasma rifles. Plasma rifles. Oh yeah, and Plasma rifles.
Okay I feel your pain. One of my friends has Nids and my other one has Crons.
The only advice I can give you is to buy a Hammerhead to take out the groups of Nids. It is my best weapon and that is how I allways beat the Nids. Crons are a bit more dificult really you just need to lay down a massive barage of fire power down the feild. So set up ranks with your Fire Warriors and just wait for teh Crons to come to you.
I would invest in a hammerhead. Even at this small of points you could run 2 hammerheads. They are too friggin hard to to kill and can with ion heads become a huge threat to the the necrons. Plasma on your suits is good. I would have the imperial guard ally work on the nids with heavy bolters and battletank. Your 2 armies strength is mid to long range. I would focus most the shots at the tyranids advancing they will move faster and be more of a pain when they get there.
My upcoming blog in the works:
Against Nids, you have to keep on the move, and keep out of assault. Stealth team is a good choice. Hammerhead Rail gun submunitions are your best friend against Nids. They are really hurt by it. Focus your firepower on one squad, never split it unless you absolutely have to. His squads will take a pounding against massed fire.
Against Necrons, again, focus your firepower on one squad to kill off as many as you can. Plasma and fusion weapons are much needed. Necrons are slow, so you should be able to keep out of harms way long enough to whittle down his numbers.
Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)
First and foremost, since 90% of the LO population will tell you so, drop the Fusion Blaster from the Stealth team. Make them great at one thing, not good at a couple.
Secondly, I would suggest pure mechanization(?). Keep your Fire Warriors inside your tank and demolish the nids (I think personally the Tyranids are a much more imposing threat than the Necrons, Necrons are hard to kill and a pain in your side, but versus Tau and infantry-strong IG I say take out the Nids first.)
3. Flechette Launchers. If you move your tanks inside his close combat range, he'll be hurting himself to try.
4. Synapse. Take out his warriors and then his Termagants should crumble under any amount of firepower, and his Carnifex will have to take Lurk checks every turn (not much, but it helps). Put your heavy weapons into the Carnifex and S5 guns into the Genestealers afterwards as they are then next largest threats.
5. Hammerheads. They're great, and hard to kill, and I'm fairly positive vanilla warriors cannot touch their front armour with Venom Cannons (though if they have the S upgrade they'll need a 6). Also, their ordnance blast paves through swarms, and the railgun shot is good for dealing with the Carnifex.
6. Tell your IG buddy to put Heavy Bolters and Plasma Rifles in his IG squads. HB slaughter any Nid infantry, and Plasma are good against Crons.
7. Trounce the Nids first. They will get close to you, assault you, and render your forces obsolete. They're generally faster than Necrons, and destroy your combat capability. Fortunatley they're easier to kill. Once the Nids are gone, you should have a fairly easy time of the Necrons, especially with that Battle Cannon your buddy's toting.
8. You could opt to go full-static. Lots of Fire Warriors and Kroot, and a couple of Broadsides to pound the Warriors and Carnifex. Quick number crunch says... Shas'el Leader, 3 Broadsides with Multis, 32 Kroot and 24 Fire Warriors. Don't doubt Kroot shooting, their rifles are nothing to scoff at and they have the same Bs as Fire Warriors. You could put the hurt on any infantry army.
9. Get a third party to set up the terrain. Whatever looks reasonable is reasonable, just have someone else do it. That way you won't be pwned by a massive forest in the middle blocking your LOS til you're in CC with Nids.
My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.
never played against necrons but play against 'nids all the time.
use devilfish for your firewarriors. keep 'em buzzing around then unload your firwarriors behindyour fish and blast away. its called fish of fury and the skimmer acts as a blocker against nids assualting your warriors. they will need 6's to hit the skimmer in assualt if you keep it moving more than 6". also if you equip it with flecette dischargers it whittles down any troops which try and assualt it as well!!!
max out fire warrior squads and use em to rapid fire guants and stealers while behind your skimmers. guants will not get a save agaist your pulse rifle and stealers would need to take extended carapace to get one. but still 24 pulse rifle shoots a turn plus your fire from the fish should do some pretty decent damage every turn.
get at least 1 hammerhead. use a railgun so you can use subs against his troops. keep it moving around and it will have a feild day.
use crisis suits to take on his big boys. twin linked missle pods are nice cause of the range but you might need to take some plasma rifles and fusion blasters to nail his carniflex hive tyrants!
nid's are scary because of tehir numbers and speed. stay out of teh way of assualts and you'll be fine.
holy smoke forgot stealths. 6 man team with no upgrades. maybe take Targeting arrays if you can afford it. they will make mincemeat of guants and stealers without AC. and they can stay behind a hill, jump over and shoot then jump back. mint.
I know nothing about Tau, but from what it looks like you guys are playing 1500 pt battles? If this is the case, maybe consider playing on a 6' x 4' table? Also, try varying the terrain a little bit, this adds to the fun with replayability and will also even it out. Right now it sounds like they are able to use that terrain against you by only engaging half of your army at a time, that's a big advantage.
As always, have fun!
To beat out the nid player all you have to do is kill is warriors, then his gaunts are uselss because they have to make ld5 checks to just do anyhing and that inst likely. The stealers and carnifex will normally be fine though, so once you kill the warriors, kill the stealers. After that just move to avoid the lumbering carnifex and focus fire power on the crons. Your buddy with the russ, and preferably alot of missile launcher and lascannons can do that quite well. Invest in a hamemrhead witha railgun. It can remove hordes of nids in one go and is an excellent way to snipe of those warriors.
Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.