A place to Start - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A place to Start

Hello,

I"ve been playing 40k for about a year (Necrons, love my Necrons) but with apocalypse comeing I feel that I need to get a rulebook of my own instead of looking off of my friend's. That being said I decided to get the battle for macragge. I get the rule book that I want and a SM Tac Squad I can use for the blood angels i'm building.

That brings me to the part that's relevent to this forum. Tyranids. I've never been a fan, mostly cause the 3-4 tyranid players that i've played against/are in my area have been complete jerks, and for a while I assumed that the army attracted that type, but i'm trying not to think of it like that because they do seem like a very capable army/race. My question is, what's a good place to start building from the Tyranids that come in the Macragge box? (Squad of genestealers, squad of termahorma guants [not sure which, have to go back and look] and some spore bombs.)

should i buy a large creature and build around it (probably a 1k points force going to be, maybe more if i really get into it) or should i throw in tons of troops? Any help would be apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

The Tyranid battle box is really nice. Everything in it is uusable and works well with the nids in the Macragge box. Then get a Tyrant or Brooldlord and maybe a Zonthrope and you have a competative army around 1000 points.

Termagaunts are the little ones with guns(Fleshborers) and the ones with the out-stretched arms are Genestealers.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

My own $.02 is that you should plan out your army before you buy anything.

Get the Tyranid army codex, post points lists and browse other posted lists here on the forums. Read tacticas and blogs (SHAMELESS PLUG FOR MY BLOG /HAR). Get to know the various capabilities of the Tyranid army.

Our units have an AMAZING variety of mutability, and this is a great thing for army building and combat but a TERRIBLE thing for your wallet if you are unwise.

Even the Tyranid Battle Force can be a foolish investment if you decide to build your army in a way that excludes significant portions of it.

So, yeah, don't just go out there and buy shit.

AND make sure you know exactly what your army is going to be before you start putting on biomorphs - especially weapon biomorphs. I did NOT do this, picking up a bunch of crap off ebay without thinking ahead, and am now in the midst of a massive project removing arms and bits and putting on new weapons and such and heavily repainting trying to get my army up to WYSIWYG/Tournament snuff.

So, your first purchase is the TYRANID CODEX. Then you do some research. Don't go out and buy the battle force or anything else.

If you want to get started on models, pick up a zoanthrope and a rending claw / scything talon ravener, both models that won't change appearance-wise no matter your army build, and are both very useful units.

Almost everything else is either questionably included in an army or has SO much mutability that if you start putting them together early you're going to get stuck with glued plastic models that don't have the right biomorphs and weapons on them.

In a more ethereal/theoretical sense, I believe Tyranids provide the very BEST min-max ultra-competitive potential of the armies in the 40k world, at least of the ones I've fought against and with (which means all but ... um, lost and the damned I think). 5-point spinegaunts and 121 point devourer Tyrants strike me as the best bang you get for your troop or hq buck in any codex out there, and there are many other examples of this throughout the codex.

Because of this, my Tyranids are my most ruthless army. I don't play them "soft" and if I'm playing a mega-friendly game I whip out the Necrons or the Sisters of Battle, both of which are much softer and easier to beat armies even when expertly crafted list-wise. As a result, since you already have a couple of armies, I'd give you the same "do as I do" advice - consider in list building that Tyranids can be totally ruthless ... one of those armies that if you build them right you can really trash the crap out of other opponents.

This is probably why some Tyranid players get a "jerk" title. Most probably aren't actually jerks, but anyone with half a brain and some buddies to give help can build really nasty nid lists that dish out a lot of pain and are extremely resilient to damage.

That being said, I also don't advise doing utterly cheesy things like Nidzillas with tons of monstrous creatures ... even in a 1,000 point game you could field FIVE monstrous creatures (2 hive tyrants and 3 heavy support carnifexes), and that's just cheesetastic.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    This is probably why some Tyranid players get a "jerk" title.
    I think it's more the first game that I ever played (still learning the rules and whatnot at that time) the "carnifex" (if you can call the oddly glued together lump of a model that it was a carnifex) rolling 38 some odd shots that autokilled every turn (which i've been assured since then by multiple people that it can't do that) and other such things as that. I think it was the people, not the army lol.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Good stuff, that.

Idunno, I'm actually a really nice and courteous player, and if my opponent is too and I know how the game is going I'll very subtley ease off to make it seem closer, and praise him when afterward he goes "wow that was close."

YET still occasionally get called a jerk or a Nidcheeser or whatever, and some people won't play me at the local GW.

We get a bad rep ... so do Tau Fish of Fury players, and every other brand labeled cheeser around. Waddayagonnadoaboutit?
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    YET still occasionally get called a jerk or a Nidcheeser or whatever, and some people won't play me at the local GW.

We get a bad rep ... so do Tau Fish of Fury players, and every other brand labeled cheeser around. Waddayagonnadoaboutit?
    I know that feeling.

I usually get an odd look when I place 150 models on the table. My opponents moral goes downt he tubes. When you catch them looking at your models, throw in a, "No, you can't kill everything." and watch them $h!t their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be fair I have faced one nid player who was quite nice, and on the whole I don't mind loseing to nids. (not that i do much nowadays) It's about the fun of playing and figureing out how to keep out of reach of the bugs lol

+ Reply to Thread