Advice Against 2+ Save Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice Against 2+ Save Models

Good Morning Everyone,

I am a returning rookie to the WH40K universe and have found this forum very helpful and with useful advice. I apologize if this has already been posted and debated over before.

Last weekend I was able to finally field a real game of Necrons (approx. 1125 pts) against Imperial Fists at the Battle Bunker. It was a great game, which technically was a draw, as I only had approx. 50 points more on the table in a Cleanse game.

As the battle was coming to a close I noticed his single HQ Terminator unit was taking hit after hit and when the game was over, it only received one would despite at least 40 shots at him from Destroyers, Warriors and Wraiths. The Emperor failed to field any other Terminator unit for this battle but I feel the next time there will be a squad of them. And this will be an obvious problem for my current servants of the C'Tan and future battles with other MEQs.

Below are my current units:

HQ:
    Necron Lord

Troops:
    28x Warriors (will be up to 40 by this weekend)

Elite:
    6x Flayed Ones

Fast Attack:
    3x Destroyers
    7x Scarabs (will be up to 10 by this weekend)
    3x Wraiths

Heavy Support:
    None

In order to counter the save capability of Terminators and other MEQs, I would probably need three Heavy Destroyers. This is an obvious choice to me, but the $$$ per model is something the real Overlord C'Tan (wife) may become furious over and trust me...there is no invulnerable save.

So, I am hopefully placing this post in the right section and requesting any alternatives to harvest Terminators and MEQs for the C'Tan.

Thanks and have a good one...

Necron Govna' on Dracon_Prime

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

Im thinking Your gonna have to kit out your lord to deal with the problem. I wouls say use another lord (preferably destroyer) but it dosent appear you have one. Warscythe with d body phase shifter and res orb. and even then, your gonna need some dice god patronage if hes packing some sorta kitted out commander. But hey, its something!
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the Warscythe is your only real option. The min #/squad on the heavy is 1, if you can at least pick up 1 then you could use hit and run and gorilla tactics.

That's how I do it, 1 at a time, right under the Miss nose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tactic that can seem to work against termies is to field a C'Tan and just use him to shield your army. Let his termies come straight to you and he'll have a fair shot of taking the whole squad out with minimal wounding to himself. Even if they kill him his explosion (I can't mention the exact stats) ignores armor saves and has a fair chance of wiping out any remainders. Termies are so expensive to begin with that a C'Tan is not only an effective counter but it is a point-efficient counter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh I played against a squad of seven termies with my necron force my squad of warrior dropped a volley into the along with two full squads of Destroyers and dropped four of them. If termies are a big problem for you with you current list you best option is to just try them up with a full squad of scarbs. Given the fact a full squad of Scarbs cost only 120 points has 30 wounds and 30 attacks it will take a few turns for them to extract themselves from the scarbs effectively negating them for battle purposes. Heck with the amount of attacks scarb attacks going at them they with likely drop a few models them selves.

What ever you do dont get heavy destoryers. As far a Im conserned the only heavy model possibly worth running is the monolith and even then I hardly ever field them.
    Necrons 1000 points 4/1/0 W/L/D
    Necrons 1500 points 1/0/0
    Necrons 2500 points 0/1/0

I SHALL RETURN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless the terminators have power fists (or some other way to be S6 or above). If that's the case scarabs are wasted on them.

I'd go with the C'tan or Destroyer Lord ideas. If you don't want to buy more than what you already have, just keep shooting them and use the lord to VoD your units to safety (I assume the terminators head for combat?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's sad but Enochi is right about the heavy destroyers. There are not that good. 3 HD cost approx the same as 4 destroyers and statisticly-wise (i don't know if that word exists but you know what i mean) they have the same efficiency against Termies. But 4 D are more efficient against marines than 3 HD.

In conclusion, i recommend 4 Destroyers !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by CptShadow View Post
    That's sad but Enochi is right about the heavy destroyers. There are not that good. 3 HD cost approx the same as 4 destroyers and statisticly-wise (i don't know if that word exists but you know what i mean) they have the same efficiency against Termies. But 4 D are more efficient against marines than 3 HD.

In conclusion, i recommend 4 Destroyers !
    Some MathHammer (figures are per round of shooting):
    -Against Termies:
    --3HDs will down 1.11114 (w/5+ save)
    --4Ds will down 1.11112 (w/2+ save)

-Against 2+ save/T4 models:
    --3HDs will down 1.66668 (w/no save)
    --4Ds will down 1.11112 (w/2+ save)

-Against 3+ save/T4 models:
    --3HDs will down 1.66668 (w/no save)
    --4Ds will down 2.22224 (w/3+ save)

Use this info how you like. Personally, I've never done the math until now and I'm kind of disappointed in the HDs now.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Destroyer lord with scythe, res orb and phase shifter along with 3-6 wraiths. This will handle pretty much any termy squad. The wraiths are likely to get a kill or two in after a few rounds and provide surprising lonegvity against termies while the lord is taking out 1-3 each round.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that point value you'd be better off with a C'tan

Quote Originally Posted by Sabe View Post
    Destroyer lord with scythe, res orb and phase shifter along with 3-6 wraiths. This will handle pretty much any termy squad. The wraiths are likely to get a kill or two in after a few rounds and provide surprising lonegvity against termies while the lord is taking out 1-3 each round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. August 7th, 2007, 22:09