Nids and Cover - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nids and Cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nids and Cover

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how do nids players usually move their units across the board? Do they usually just charge everything in or move em from cover to cover? If so which units specifically?

I haven't quite understood how MCs can hide behind cover, or how shooters can hide behind cover and yet have LoS at the same time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I haven't quite understood how MCs can hide behind cover, or how shooters can hide behind cover and yet have LoS at the same time.
    There is appropriate cover for every model, you just have to find it. Forests provide cover to those models inside it, heck simply standing behind a big enough rock that you can still see over will give you cover, you just have to consult your rulebook to determine what your cover save will be.

I was just wondering, how do nids players usually move their units across the board? Do they usually just charge everything in or move em from cover to cover? If so which units specifically?
    Generally we try to keep genestealers in cover, along with any other unit that has capability to rend. Hormagaunts and regular gaunts can be charged up the field if you want or they can run through cover. It really depends on how much fire power you have and what turn you want to get to combat in. If combat isn't a big thing to you and running through cover is, it could be turn 4 or later before you get into assault.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

This was the hardest thing for me to learn with Nids. I came from space marines where cover was more of a nuisance. Then again a SMs save meant that only a few weapons in an army could deny saves and those weapons rarely fired more than one or two shots a turn.

With nids however, the number of weapons that deny armour saves is phenomenal. It's easier to count the number of guns in the game that guants do get a save against. A squad of 10 basic space marines can reduce a brood of gaunts to below half strength in one turn.

With gaunts, I usually deploy them in cover, run them out of cover on the first, and then try to get back into cover. If I can't deploy them in cover or can't get back into cover I don't sweat it. Gaunts are made to die. Every unit that shoots at the gaunts isn't shooting at something more valuable.

I personally don't pay much attention to cover with my genestealers. I get them into cover if I can, but don't stress it if I can't.

My shootyfexes I always keep in cover, they are to valuable to be killed off quickly by low AP weapons.

My flyrant I just keep behind area terrain as much as possible. I'll take a risk to try and get him into CC. Once or twice I've had him not make the charge distance and be left out in the open. Haven't lost him yet to a volley of shots, but he's been reduced to one wound.

So in the end, keeping a unit in cover depends on how much you need them to survive. If you have limited cover, best put the expensive models in it and leave the gaunts out in the open. Genestealers and Hormogaunts are fast enough with fleet to be able to make it to cover if you feel you're opponent is going to target them next.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info! I think right now I'm really worried about lascannons lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Dont worry about las cannons. Just get some fast rending unit to tear them apart! Raveners/winged tyrants/Infiltrated broodlord can all deal a turn 2 kill.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

To add on to what all these guys have already said, cover is important to hide behind. One of the things I've learned to do which has helped me a ton is that getting the genestealers there intact one turn later is better than have half the unit there one turn earlier. Keeping units behind cover can be a life saver, and if you keep most of your army behind cover the first two or three turns you'll be set when you reach combat on the third or fourth turn. Nids are fast, and they need to get close, but you don't have to sprint straight into the enemy's firing line to do it. Stalk your prey a little and you'll reap amazing benefits.

The short version of that long ramble is that if there's sufficient cover on the board, you should be able to keep most of your important units (read flyrants, genestealers, ravs, and warriors) out of LOS until the turn you assault (maybe one turn in the open required). And that should be the goal, the more stealers (and other things) that can make it to combat, the more fun you'll have once you get there.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Remember too you can manufacture your own cover with MCs. Put your tender rending units behind a line of MCs and walk it forward in turn 1. You might lose a MC in this turn, but in turn two you should have the movement range to assault with intact rending broods.

A trickier way to do this is what I call 'threat cover' - use a large urgent threat to force the food to make tough target priority calls. For instance, I often push forward my winged hive tyrant early and openly, followed by the rending (with some winged warriors for synapse). Generally the wHT does get shot down in turn 1, but the food has wasted 50% - 100% of its shooting to do so, leaving its entourage relatively undamaged to charge in on the following turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have just started nid's and like magnet because i play nurgle and cover slows the already slow down.
    but for tyranids cover is a must! this is true because it is a waste of points to make a 5+ save
    another thing is they all have move through cover!
    plus they can fleet unslowed right through it!
    even if it is just rubble it is a 4 or 5 + save from just about everything except nid haters(flamers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

My hormagaunts group up as far forwards as they can, if there is cover at the edge of my deployment zone they get it. After that any shooty monsters (generally my tyrant) gets some cover. Genestealers use their scuttlers to try and get out of sight in a good place. Raveners get dibs on size 3 terrain in my deployment zone. Everything else gets spread out around the deployment zone, there usually isn't enough cover to accomodate them. Leaping Warriors hide behind my monstrous creatures where possible.

Moving up the field Hormagaunts get into ANY available cover as long as it isn't to far out of their way. The regular gaunts usually don't bother with cover as the hormagaunts have taken it and my carnifex's are always moving at full speed so no cover for them.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

+ Reply to Thread