A bit of whining about my Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of whining about my Necrons

I just finished disgracing myself against a new chaos army and then, oh the humiliation, a Sisters army on the same night. Some really stupid mistakes (note to self: four beers, max) and crummy dice did me in. After fewer than fifteen games I've developed some serious complaints with my supposedly cheesy Necrons.

1. HQ cost. The chaos friend brought a Demon Prince with wings and the Lash of Submission, a Necron killer if there ever was one. He used the Lash to move a unit of warriors out of cover and clump them together in range of his immobilized Vindicator, rapid fire range of two units of marines, and assault range of the Prince. With wings on the Prince, the power has an effective range of 36". I brought a Lord with the Veil and Orb. My Lord cost 45 points more than his, and he could afford a Lieutenant who could chew up everything I had on the board for even less. I know the Lord is a support HQ, not a close combat monster, but he's more expensive than nearly every special character Chaos can bring. The way I set him up, he's 25 points cheaper than Typhus, who has a demonic force weapon that will kill the Nightbringer with a single wound. He's more expensive than Huron, Kharn, and Lucius. I cannot understand how the Lash of Submission, which may render him unbeatable for my army, costs 1/3 the points of the Veil. I think the basic problem is that WBB is overrated in the basic points cost of the Lord. Does it really matter if he comes back with one wound half the time when he can't kill anything beyond regular troops with any reliability? My only option beyond the Lord are a couple of slow C'tan who are unbelievable on paper, but too expensive to actually bring.

2. Troop options. Other armies have a large variety of options that give them flexibility. I can't even get a power weapon in my regular units, which, more than anything else, kills them in close combat. I have one very tough tank that never makes its points back, even though its supposed to be cheesy and is next to impossible to destroy.

3. Don't get me wrong, Warriors are one of the best troop choices in the game, and Destroyers are one of the best units, period. Between my Destroyers and Veiling Immortals, I destroyed a Defiler, immobilized a Vindicator (which would have mattered if not for the Lash) and shook a Predator on turn 1, so I can't complain about gauss weaponry in any way. The problem is that everyone knows what Necrons can do, and it's not hard for most armies to kit out against them. I don't have that flexibility. About all that I can think to do is bring massive numbers of Warriors and win the war of attrition against expensive chaos troops. How boring.

One note in defense of chaos so that you don't think I'm a total homer: I'm whining about my Lord's cost, but their troops are really expensive, too. My friend has never lost to me, but is only about .500 against the Orks (too many), Eldar (too much low AP), and Dark Angels (an attack squad with jump packs that can drop 40 attacks on him on turn 2). Maybe Chaos is just equipped to handle Necrons.

I think what I'd like to see is a few options that would allow me to be a bit more unpredictable, thus forcing my opponents to balance their lists a bit. It's just too easy to negate my advantages when my opponent knows what I'll have on the table and how I'll have to play.

Whew, I feel better.

Weaf

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude, if u managed to look into necrons before u started playing them, u would have known all that, the limits on troops and so on, but wat realy torqs me is that chaos fall to me left and right, all u have to do is positon ur troops right and have monolith suport for them, and u will be fine, PS monilith is just a fire magnet and will keep ur troops from being shot at, not to mention that it is a beast all in its self, wiped a whole squadron of Thosands sons troopers with 1 partical whip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally have no problems with chaos I always get complaints that necrons are too overpowered. So maybe you should change your strategy. I remember I fought some khorn berserker army and had no trouble taking them down. I have played against all types of space marines from chaos to dark angels. I have been playing the necrons for bout a year and half so I have some good experience with them. For some reason they always see the monolith as this big scary thing that needs to be destroyed. The only army I seem to have trouble beating is the tau and nids. For me all the marines are easy pickings. The only thing I can really suggest is change your strat other than that I do not know what to tell but complaining wont win you games work with what you got that’s what I always say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find tau to be easy, but that's mostly because I take a solid body of warriors.

As far as our HQ goes, try giving him a destroyer body, rez orb, phase shifter, and run him around with 3 wraiths. I usually split him apart from my wraiths once they are at the enemy lines, run my lord into a unit to kill them, and my wraiths into another to tie them up (unless it's eldar or tau, then everything just dies).

As far as Lash of Submission goes, is he allowed to bunch up your models to rearrange them? I thought he could just tell you to move your models in one direction x inches, not move them himself however he wants. At least, that seems more fair to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I guess your new if not i dont understand the point of this tread.

Yes we have the most expensive hero choice in the game, build a bridge.

No other army in the game can kill tanks and infantry with the same ease and get back up again.

The rest looks sounds like bad target selection but without watching the game i cannot know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman270 View Post
    dude, if u managed to look into necrons before u started playing them, u would have known all that, the limits on troops and so on, but wat realy torqs me is that chaos fall to me left and right, all u have to do is positon ur troops right and have monolith suport for them, and u will be fine, PS monilith is just a fire magnet and will keep ur troops from being shot at, not to mention that it is a beast all in its self, wiped a whole squadron of Thosands sons troopers with 1 partical whip.
    Hey champ.

'U' isn't a word in the English Dictionary, it's certainly not one recognised here at LO.

Please stop using chat speak so extensively. We like to maintain a certain level of civility about the place.

To help you, I'll delete any more posts of yours I see which have this (of course after the date of this post)

Cheers buddy ^__^
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

To be honest if you wanted army flexibility, you picked the wrong side.

1) Necron lords are expensive yes, and mostly their wargear gives tactical options, not killing power. But if you look at his basic points cost compared to a SM commander, i think its quite fair. The only problem is many other armies vcan get faster HQ's with more attacks etc. But come on, who else can bring back their troops after being slapped by a power weapon, or pull men out of combat just to have them appear next to that unit and begin rapid firing! Got to look on the bright side

2) This is all about the fluff, cron armies are suppossed to be made up of mass lifeless warriors. As much as id like another option, im happy with this. And crons have some of the coolest looking basic troops going.

3) You have to leard to be flexible with what you have, play to your advantages. Use the Lith of VoD for teleportation, scarabs can hold up annoying enemy units until you can get something there to deal with them. Des and Hdes are fast, with a huge range. Warriors have some of the best short range firepower in the game.

And as a final note, yes Necron troops are expensive, and they dont get any wargear options (apart from the lord and Dfields) but look at what they can do for their basic cost. And when you get the individual units to work together well, i think the phrase is 'The total is more than the sum of its parts'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Deceiver said, the lack of army flexibility is a flavour consequence. And I like this (yes I LIKE this). What kind of mechanical humanoids would be the necrons if every member in a squad is different??

However, more HQ options would be nice (maybe a cheaper lider or ¿why not? a psyker...). And like I said in other topic, they could make different kinds of necrons (from different worlds): plastic ones (, metal ones... or something like this. This will create more flexibility without introducing a new troop (thing that I believe is a mistake)

P.D.: English is not my first language. I'm sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zinch View Post
    As Deceiver said, the lack of army flexibility is a flavour consequence. And I like this (yes I LIKE this). What kind of mechanical humanoids would be the necrons if every member in a squad is different??

However, more HQ options would be nice (maybe a cheaper lider or ¿why not? a psyker...). And like I said in other topic, they could make different kinds of necrons (from different worlds): plastic ones (, metal ones... or something like this. This will create more flexibility without introducing a new troop (thing that I believe is a mistake)

P.D.: English is not my first language. I'm sorry.
    Psykers are completely against Necron fluff. They can't use the warp at all. As far as another HQ goes, i would like to see that. Our HQ still retain shadows of their former selves, maybe some of them are tech adepts or something.

Does anyone know if they are allowed to bunch up your models with Lash of Submission? I didn't think they could.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Ofcourse lash of submission can bunch models. Thats one of its main uses ready for killing units with templates. The last alloows the chaos player to move the unit, and he may move any model within the unit however he likes up to the maximum distance, just like in a normal movement phase.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast