Starting Tau Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Tau Help

I am going to be starting a tau army, i have literally no idea what i am doing.
    I don't really want any kroot or vespids just cause i hate painting skin, bleck always turns out bad for me.
    So what is a good like, i don't know, 500-1000 point army starter. Should i try to get the battleforce or megaforce? If not, what is a good starter set of stuff to get?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Weeeeeeell....

I'd listen to the bits that people agree on.

I'm going to throw some ideas around in this post, and any that get repeated often enough by other posters are obviously good ideas. If riki could quote my post in bits and comment on each bit, that will almost be enough by itself. Anything we agree on, probably a good idea to run with it.

Idea #1: Crisis suits are very important, but you have to equip them right! No good in giving them the wrong guns and wargear. For your compulsory shas'el or shas'o, I would equip them with one of the following:

Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker (fireknife)
    Plasma rifle, fusion blaster, multitracker (helios)
    Plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, multitracker (centurion)

If it's a shas'el, you really should hardwire the multi and give him a targeting array. I think the fireknife is the best.

For your elite crisis, well in 1000pts you should have one, maybe two or three. I like these units:

Crisis - team leader, plasma, missile, array, hardwired multi (fireknife-4 - 77pts)
    2 Crisis - twinlinked missile pods, targeting arrays (2 deathrains - 106pts)

So maybe use 1 of the first unit and 1 of the second unit. Or 2 fireknife-4's.

Idea #2: Anti-infantry is important. Stealths are pretty good at anti-infantry, but are very hard to use right. New players tend to get them shot or charged. Fire Warriors in devilfish I think are a better choice. The fire warriors run around in their fish, they unload and rapid fire at an enemy unit.

12 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - smart missiles, decoys, multi, array 240pts

The devilfish shoots 7 shots! Plus 24 from the fire warriors. Use two of these and you have a position where it is very hard to charge the fire warriors, because the unit has to move around the devilfish.

Losing the smart missiles for gun drones also helps, as the gun drones get in the way, making it even harder to charge the fire warriors. The gun drones don't get shot either, because the unit is busy shooting back at the fire warriors. Just keep moving the fish and fire warriors and you are free to shoot all game! (Until something destroys a devilfish).

Kroot are a very powerful unit, but if you're not going to use them, that's ok with me.

Idea #3: Railguns. You need railguns in a Tau list. Now you can get these from the hammerhead or broadsides, it's up to you what you prefer. Broadsides tend to get charged without cheap speed bumps like kroot, so maybe go with the hammerheads.

I wouldn't use ionheads in general.

I think they are really good, but I also use fireknives, which are also really good.

Ionheads are great....however, railguns give me something that fireknives don't give me.

Ionheads are redundant, I can do what they do with fireknives. Railheads are important. The marine player might have predators or dreadnoughts.

But this doesn't make the ionhead a bad choice at all. Any list with a good battlesuit backbone can make other choices seem effective.

Idea #4: Wargear. All tanks must have decoy launchers! And hammerheads must have multitrackers. Broadsides should use advanced stabilisers, and also should generally have shield drones.

Idea #5: What to buy.

Well, I'd be thinking roughly of a list you want. Here's one from me (to the experienced players, I'm making the list less efficient and more beginner friendly, since he is a beginner):

Shas'o - plasma, fusion, multi 112

2 Crisis - twinlinked missile pods, targeting arrays 106
    2 Crisis - twinlinked plasma rifles, targeting arrays 130

12 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - smart missiles, decoys, multi, array 240

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, decoys, multi, lock 170

Note: to get devilfish with smart missiles, you need to buy the skyray. Personally I prefer the free gun drones, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post

Idea #5: What to buy.

Well, I'd be thinking roughly of a list you want. Here's one from me (to the experienced players, I'm making the list less efficient and more beginner friendly, since he is a beginner):

Shas'o - plasma, fusion, multi 112

2 Crisis - twinlinked missile pods, targeting arrays 106
    2 Crisis - twinlinked plasma rifles, targeting arrays 130

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, decoys, multi, lock 170

Note: to get devilfish with smart missiles, you need to buy the skyray. Personally I prefer the free gun drones, though.
    this is pretty much the list i would go with at the level. I don't use kroot either (for fluff reasons) and no one should ever use vespids (except in kill team). to be honest this makes up the core of my 1500 and 2500 list anyway except i use a 'el and not an 'O to save points!!

Tau tanks look awesome and perform amazing. most opponents will think you are cheating when you pull out hammerhead and 2 devilfish at 1000 points.

you could maybe change the TL plasma team to plasma and missle pods with Target array (fireknife) which will keep em at decent range (30" with 2 shots from the MP and 1 from the PR) by jumping the forward from behind cover and shooting then jumping jumping back into cover. this will pretty much keep 'em alive to whittle down most advancing troops or light vehicles until you want to advance to rapid fire range. it would be 4 extra points that you would have to find from elsewhere though.

you could find those points by taking a shas'el with plasma, fusion, Target array and hw multi tracker which would cost 97 points.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

xsickpeoplex just beat me to it about the Fireknives and where the points would come from! Otherwise, yep this would be a pretty reasonable starter-for-ten army list.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I too agree, might as well use fireknives (FK's).

Was just getting the point across that you don't have to use them.

FK5 97pts

FK4 FK3 139
    FK4 FK3 139

10 Fire Warriors - shas'ui - in Devilfish - smart missiles, decoys, multi, array 230
    10 Fire Warriors - shas'ui - in Devilfish - smart missiles, decoys, multi, array 230

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, decoys, multi 165

FK = plasma, missile, multi; # = BS

So for example, FK5 97pts is:

Shas'el - plasma, missile, multi, targeting array

Obviously the multi is hardwired.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread