Local GW store and Tyranids... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local GW store and Tyranids...

Heyas,

I have kind of been on the fence about whether or not to start a Tyranid army until today. Some experts here had given some great advice, but I stil was a little hesitant. I think I pretty much made up my mind today though. I went and picked up the rule book at my local Gamesworkshop store today here in CT and was talking to the manager for a bit. I told him I was returning after a long time and he asked what army I was thinking of playing (he suggested marines)? I told him Tyranids and his eyes lit up! He said they had very very few Tyranid players there...is this a good thing? Are Tyranids really not that common? Either way that was the icing on the cake for me...Bugs here I come!!

Cisco

:party:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I dont know about CT but I do know that in my little state of Vermont they are fairly uncommon. Out of all the 30 people I play with only my friend and I play as them. Probably the most uncommon is Dark Eldar though. Never seen them.
    -SG
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've looked between the old and new codex and the tyranids are a lot better off now. It is a better time to start playing nids.

When I found out there was a new tyranid player at the store I play at it was a little bit upsetting because it didn't feel like I added as much anymore. If you ask me, people like variety so, be proud that you can add to that.

Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Well, congratulations on the start of your new army. I think tyranids are less common than some other armies, but not as rare as people tend to believe. I think the main reason they are as rare as they are is because they stray not only from the standard imperial weapons and wargear set up that IG, marines, SoB and DH use, but they are way different from even other races. It's just too weird for some players to get used to, I mean, most of our guns don't even have a set amount of shots It's really a great army though and good luck with it;Y

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid View Post

He said they had very very few Tyranid players there...is this a good thing? Are Tyranids really not that common? Either way that was the icing on the cake for me...Bugs here I come!!

At my store, i'm the only active tyranid player as far as 4th edition goes. I frequent the store to see what they have / say hello / see whos playing if at all, and I have yet to see Tyranids AT ALL.

Thats my input, welcome to the race dude...you'll love the customization. :party2:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Welcome to the swarm! And thank you for not choosing SM! I can understand why the manager at your store recommended Marines, but seriously, the world is already full of armies of Tasty-Flesh-In-Metal-Cans.

I've seen around half a dozen Tyranid armies other than mine, of which two at a convention and about four or so at the local GW retailers. Then again, as Finland is a small country and Helsinki is the largest city, not that surprising to see more than a fair share of 'Nids.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the hive mind welcomes you with open arms (actually i'm not sure the hive mind has arms? meh oh well) anyway bugs are fairly uncommon though i have 3 people including me who play nids at my local. bugs are a great army lots possibility list wise and heaps of fun to play with.

hope you have fun devouring worlds.
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they do seem a little uncommon, might be all those rumours of Nidzilla being so powerful and unstoppable and no-one likes playing against a cheesy list

nah, can't be I mean *no-one* at my GW (GW Windsor Ontario) even knows about nidzilla, I asked an employee and he's like "what?" so that might be it, or I havenh't been around there at the same time as another Zilla

*and by no-one I mean some kids who have no clue how to equip a tyrant (hehe bone sword and lash whips) and can't figure out that hormagaunts and termagaunts don't go in the same unit

or it might be the whole "need 1000 gaunts to make a 1500 point list" thing that's going into peoples heads, because nids are the Swarm army that nobody want to fight...
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

My $.02 is that Tyranids are exceedingly fragile, even the monstrous creatures, and so crappy players who use them poorly get discouraged and move on to other things. Swarms can also be pretty expensive.

Marines are extremely mistake-resistant due to their high armor saves etc. etc.

Additionally, the marine army list is a very easy one to craft, and it's hard to buy the "wrong" marine models ... that is to say that most of the vehicles aren't going to have huge variation, and most of the infantry are going to be carrying bolters. If you buy and model Tyranids the "Wrong" way and change your mind about what you want them to have, you could be shit out of luck. I faced this, buying a few armies off e-bay, b/c every Tyranid has an ENORMOUS variety of biomorph options ... select the wrong ones and you've got major remodelling or repurchasing to get yourself back to WYSIWYG.

It's also more difficult to plan a Tyranid army right, there are many more pitfalls in the list building process.

All of this combines to discourage many players from starting 'Nids, I think, while at the same time highlighting the many potential strengths and diversity of the army.

Whereas with Marines (for example), the big weakness is a lack of flexibility in some ways with regard to your list ... you can't for example strip all the equipment except a combat dagger off a marine and have him cost less. With Tyranids, a talented player can craft a very barebones list model-to-model but have enormous potential as a result, and if he plays it exceedingly well can flat-out overpower even very good opponents.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pfht, I'll tell you right now Brandt. I do not agree with your opinion. I'll say this as well, Tyranids are just a different way of crafting an army. Your army is basically completely in your hands to make; hence, it's more open-ended. You just have to put some more thought into it.

However Brandt has it pretty much nailed down. It is true, Marines are "user friendly". It is difficult to buy a Marine unit that does not fit in your army.

Tyranid's weakness is not within the game. It CAN boil down to how deep your pockets are. A single Tyranid can be very cheap point-wise. However, to get alot of points, you'd need alot of Tyranids. Hence=Alot of cash.

If however, you are thorough in your research and dedicated to making an army that is unique and not "straight-outta-the-box", than you can certainly be happy with 'Nids.

And "SOME" Tyranid units are fragile, however, they make that up with having many, many units. Exactly the opposite of Space Marines. Tyranids simply rely on that they're outnumbering the enemy. Of course, you can play the Godzilla army, and have very few, strong models.

No Brandt, I do not believe the Tyranid Monstrous Creatures are fragile. I think the exact opposite. They have multiple wounds, many high strength shots, ignore armor, and can fire two weapons a turn. Also, all the weapons are Assualt. A Space Marine Dreadnought can be One-shotted, and their weapons are mediocre.

If you want to do Tyranids, plan carefully. Very carefully.
    If you feel that I have been helpful, please click the star, and do the same for anyone else who gives you a hand.

4000+ Of Marines and Daemonhunters
    2000+ Of Tyranids

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast