Warrior Sprues and Wysiwyg - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warrior Sprues and Wysiwyg

I have some questions about the contents of the warrior box and how certain biomorphs can or should be incorporated. I am more of a modeler than a player, but my kids use what I build and I don't want to inadvertently break the rules.

(1) Each base sprue includes two separate heads (one with an extended crest) and two separate sets of teeth (one with a barbed tongue). Do these represent any particular biomorphs or are they just variants? Given that all warriors in a brood need to have the same bio-morph loadout (at least that is my understanding), does each brood need to use the same heads and teeth?

(2) There are two pieces of what look to be extended carapace (one with a spike and one without) on the monstrous weapons sprue in the box. Where do they go? How can I equip all members of a brood with EC? I have seen what looks like extended arm armour on the GS sprues, so I guess I can use them, but that doesn't help figure out what to do with the pieces in the warrior box.

(3) How are Bio-Plasma and Enhanced Senses represented?

Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated! I've read a lot of the postings here and found them quite helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

1) The "barbed" teeth represent either implant attack or flesh hooks, while the extended crest can represent either part of extended carapace, or enhanced senses (the first would need other places where it's clearly bulked up, and the second would need more eyes, or antennae, or other things showing that it's senses are heightened.)

2) I have no idea what precisely you are referring to (I don't build warriors) but it sounds like you could use the bits from the stealer sprue, or the bits of armour on the monstrous creature sprue. Personally, I suggest just adding a bit of green stuff to make them look a bit more armoured.

3) Bioplasma is usually represented by giving the critter a bigger mouth, or something similar. You could also do it by by painting a "glowy" effect on the torso or mouth. Enhanced senses means you add on extra eyes, or antennae or other things showing improved senses to the model.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

1) The barbed stinger-tongue could be used for Implant Attack, but as for the head crests, they've never had any clear biomorph distinction one way or the other. Seeing GW hasn't bothered to stick with any singular heads for their example Warriors, I don't think you'll need to restrict yourself either: Build the heads as you wish. As they can't have ImpAtt in the current Codex, it doesn't matter what sort of tongues they have as they don't have the morph and thus the stinger tongue is just "extra modeling for aesthetic purposes".

2) It is assumed that as long as most creatures show the morphs and they have all paid for them (as they must), then that's enough. As you noticed, you could use 'Stealer ExtCar bits, though I recommend using the bits from Gaunts as they certainly won't ever need it! Using greenstuff or similar putty is also an option. Oh, and as for the bits: you can use them like shoulder pads, or glue them on the head, or knees, or anywhere you feel it looks good.

3) Bio-Plasma is most easily modeled by rolling a tube-like part out of greenstuff and sticking it to the creatures mouth, achieving a look similar to Gargoyles. As for Enhanced Senses, Paul_Harkonen gave a good answer, and I'll just add that extra eyes are my favourite. =)
    Last edited by Uzi-99; August 29th, 2007 at 21:38. Reason: Corrected a brain fart in regards to Warriors and ImpAtt. Thanks, Leech!
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

The teeth with a stingy tongue is either flesh hooks or an implant attack, however Warriors can't have implant attack anymore so it can only be flesh hooks. However because flesh hooks already come on the Tyranid warrior frame this stingy tongue isn't enough for flesh hooks. I have some Tyranid warriors with the stingy tongue and no flesh hooks.

As for the two heads there is no difference, they are just different to add some variety. You will need to make enhanced senses yourself. This can be done with flesh hooks which have been cut down and added to the heads like insect attenna.

The two large pieces of carapace can be added wherever you want. You will find you don't have nearly enough of them. It is best to have a go with green stuff. Als the heads you don't use can have the brain area removed and then the can be added as a carapace shield to either arm.

To show bioplasma this need modifications to the mouth and or neck. I suggest that you hunt through spare parts and find some Tyranid-like tubes and add them to the necks to show bioplasma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

One more thing- You mentioned in your first post that you thought that warriors all have to be given the same biomorphs. This isn't true- warriors can all have whatever different biomorphs they desire, even the ones in the same brooods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post
    One more thing- You mentioned in your first post that you thought that warriors all have to be given the same biomorphs. This isn't true- warriors can all have whatever different biomorphs they desire, even the ones in the same brooods.
    --- No they can't, because it doesn't say they can. They can vary bio-weaponry within the brood, but they must all have the same morphs. Refer to the Warrior entry in the Codex:

"Tyranid Warrior Broods may choose --- paying the points listed per model in the brood. Weapon symbiotes --- may differ within the brood."

Quite clearly they're like Frag Grenades: If you wish to have them for one guy in the unit, you must get it for them all (unless the one guy has access to the armory and can get them separately).
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric52 View Post
    I have some questions about the contents of the warrior box and how certain biomorphs can or should be incorporated. I am more of a modeler than a player, but my kids use what I build and I don't want to inadvertently break the rules.

(1) Each base sprue includes two separate heads (one with an extended crest) and two separate sets of teeth (one with a barbed tongue). Do these represent any particular biomorphs or are they just variants? Given that all warriors in a brood need to have the same bio-morph loadout (at least that is my understanding), does each brood need to use the same heads and teeth?
    As others have said, the pointy tounge was origionally implant attack. When the new stealer flesh hooks in the mouth came out, many people began to use it as flesh hooks too, but warriors alraeady have flesh hook pieces, so they don't need to represent flesh hooks.

(3) How are Bio-Plasma and Enhanced Senses represented?
    An easy way to represent enhanced senses is to take the warrior flesh hooks. Shooty warriors probably won't need them, so they will be free. Cut a pair of them apart. This will give little spear looking things. Shave off the top hook and then you have an antenna that can be attached to the head. Just choose a place and position and either GS it in place or shave the bottem till it fits on right.

For bioplasma, I think a great way would be to take advantage of spiky tounge head. Bioplasma is a bolt of lightning or fire shot from the mouth. I think that the spiky tounge looks enough like that. Maybe give it a neon green or glowing paint job and I think that would represent bioplasma fine with pretty much no conversion work.

Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated! I've read a lot of the postings here and found them quite helpful.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

+ Reply to Thread