First game coming up!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First game coming up!!

Alright i have my first game in less than a week (supposedly) i found someone at my school who plays necrons and we are setting up a game time.
    Any tips you guys have specificaly against necrons would really help out, im not trying to tool my army list for necrons, but just any playing tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

The best thing you can do against those skinny, shiny, "non-food" things is to get them into close combat as soon as possible. You will always hit first, except against maybe wraiths. Even with their great stat lines, Necrons suck in close combat.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

more important than engaging them in close combat (depending on point limits) is engaging several squads at once. If you put 3 groups of necron warriors in combat with genestealers you'll be able to do a lot of damage.

Other than that, make sure you're aware of phase out and how many you have to kill in order to achieve it.

Good luck, and may the hive mind be with you.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Chances are youll meet the monolith. Its hard to take out, so try your best to avoid it. Go for the destroyers first, once they are taken care of get stuck in and aim to phaze him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you try and leapfrog cover, you're wasting valuable time against Necrons. The Destroyers just move too fast for you. You're best to launch you're almost all you have at him. You can keep your Genestealers (If you have any, in cover) until you're close enough for a charge. Mace is right, your best chance is to phase him out. You don't have any vehicles so he's really wasting points on Destroyers.

What amount of points are you playing? Necrons benefit from larger games, as their most pumped up units can be used then.

If you are playing with more than 1000 Points:
    Chances are, he's gonna have a Monolith. It's irresistable for a Necron player with alot of points. Watch out for it! It's got huge armor and can teleport things all over the place. You'll want to ignore and just phase him out. Not much in the Tyranid arsenal can effectively deal with a Monolith.
    If you feel that I have been helpful, please click the star, and do the same for anyone else who gives you a hand.

4000+ Of Marines and Daemonhunters
    2000+ Of Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

1. Sweeping Advance.

If you catch fleeing Necrons with it, they won't be back no matter what (4thEd p43, right column). =)

You'll need something to provide Ld penalties for the Neccies (Psychic Scream, outnumbering) and something to actually deal damage to them (Rending Claws, Broodlord, Monstrous Creatures).

2. Know We'll Be Back.

Ask to see his Codex and read the entry, so as to know what he needs to do it and what you can do to prevent it. Also, check GWs online errata for further clarifications. Oh, and make sure to read how Resurrection Orb functions. =)

3. Know Monolith rules.

Monoliths only allow a We'll Be Back reroll if the model was originally entitled to one and failed it. Thus if Necrons die from something which negates WBB, they stay dead even if their unit is teleported through the 'Lith as they never had the chance to WBB in the first place. They also can't teleport and shoot with their Power Matrix in the same turn, and they can't shoot with both the PM weapon and the Gauss Flux Arcs in the same Shooting phase.

4. Necrons hate 2+ Armour saves.

They have few means to cut through heavy saves at range or in combat... At range watch out for Heavy Destroyers and in combat any C'tan, Lord or Pariah, even though you'll likely kill the Lord and Pariahs before they can do any serious damage.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, thanks for the help. one of my close friends plays necrons so i know them fairly well, though i will have a flip through their codex again. its 1500 points by the way.

two quick questions specifically, for a psychic choir how many psychic screams would you say would be effective at hampering their high LD, aaand, just curious, if i hit a warrior with a sniperfexes VC (instant death) but he is in a ress orb and gets a WBB roll, can the monolith allow a reroll on that? what about vice versa with a res orb near the monolith and teleporting the insta-killed thing to it? or is the model just removed in the second scenerio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    Not much in the Tyranid arsenal can effectively deal with a Monolith.
    Very true. The only thing with any decent chance at all is a Venom Cannon on a carnifex. But each shot has only a 50% chance to hit (with enhanced senses), and then a 50% chance to glance, and only glance. Still, a glance is better than nothing against a Monolith. You could at least keep him from shooting those spiffy guns...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

OOPS, duplicate... sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the reaver View Post
    alright, thanks for the help. one of my close friends plays necrons so i know them fairly well, though i will have a flip through their codex again. its 1500 points by the way.

two quick questions specifically, for a psychic choir how many psychic screams would you say would be effective at hampering their high LD, aaand, just curious, if i hit a warrior with a sniperfexes VC (instant death) but he is in a ress orb and gets a WBB roll, can the monolith allow a reroll on that? what about vice versa with a res orb near the monolith and teleporting the insta-killed thing to it? or is the model just removed in the second scenerio?

Answers:

Psychic Screams:
    As far as psychic screams, as many as you can get and/or willing to spend points on.

WBB Rolls:
    1. Yes.
    2. No, the resorb only affects Necrons within its range at the moment they are destroyed. But note also from this that if Necrons were killed while an Orb was near, then the nearby Lord was forced to fall back, the Necrons would benefit from the ResOrb, assuming they were still eligible for a WBB roll (i.e. within 6" of same type of necron, or within range of a Tomb Spyder.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast