Coherency - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coherency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coherency

Playing against bugs and my opponent staggered his gaunts to keep in synaspe range.
    no big deal right?? If this symbol ^ is a guant here is what the sqaud looked like.

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^ ^
    ^^ ^

Then the remainder of his guants were at the head of this "trail" in a small cluster.
    To me this isn't unit coherency. The BGB states models within 2" of each other.
    yet I have seen Imperial Guard gunlines like this,however, they were parallel to the board, not perpendicular, and lacked a cluster at the end
    Is this legal or out of unit coherency? In my mind this screams foul, but bugs and their synapse are all wonky, but the unit has to be coherent no matter what right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Its legal.

Stupid looking, but legal. So long as his units remain within 2 inches of another unit.

The drawback to the congaline of death comes mostly from the fact its tough to really direct properly. Even if he lands in assault, it'll take him about 2-3 assault rounds to get all of his troops piled in, which means fewer attacks. The unit itself might reach further, but the individual gaunt doesn't.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Unit coherency is defined as having every model within 2 inches of each another model in the squad (measured from one edge of a base to the edge of the other base). What your friend did is actually fairly standard tyranid tactics. I have been known to, on occasion, spread out my entire force so that all my models are exactly 2 inches away from everything around them. This is perfectly legal, in fact, I have often wondered why anyone (other than a guard player) would ever put their models any closer than this 2 inch limit. If you spread them out it minimizes the effects of template weapons and enables you to do really cool things on terms of multiple assaults. There is really (again, except for guard) no reason to cluster models together so that I can kill 5-6 with a single large blast template.

You get 2 inches, you should be using them (again with guard as the exception).
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

This is actually an important point for Tyranid players to think about. Yes the congaline is legal, and I used to do it and think I was being really smart. BUT, the big problem comes when you eventually assault - and you definitely will, otherwise you wouldn't be in such a rush to outpace the synapse.

Next time he assaults you with a congaline, he'll probably keep that tail stuck off the back end in case he fails the combat, right? Well that's all fine. The disaster strikes when it comes to consolidation - the rules say you MUST get as many models into contact with the enemy as possible, moving up to 6". That will most definitely take the congaline out of synapse - the tail end would have moved, possibly fleeted, charged, and then made a 6" consolidation.

He probably won't be too bothered, because he finally got the assault, probably won the first round, and he's all excited and ready to kick your arse. But really all it takes is a little counter-charge to get the uppr hand on the initial gaunt assault, and if he's out of synapse then he is going to be very sorry.

My advice is, if your gaunts are outpacing your synapse so much that you need a congaline, you need to either opt for slower gaunts, or faster synapse. I field a winged hive tyrant for that role, he really only needs to babysit for that one turn, since the slower synapse will be there shortly.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    My advice is, if your gaunts are outpacing your synapse so much that you need a congaline, you need to either opt for slower gaunts, or faster synapse. I field a winged hive tyrant for that role, he really only needs to babysit for that one turn, since the slower synapse will be there shortly.
    That the slower synapse will be there in only one turn is why the faster synapse isn't always necessary in reality. This isn't to say he shouldn't have it, your advice is perfectly reasonable, but if they are only "that one turn" ahead of the slower synapse, they're likely to win the charge thanks to angles and bonus attacks for charging, and by the time it comes around again they'll probably be ok.

If they aren't ... well, they're gaunts, and they stopped whoever they charged from shooting for a turn :drinking:
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ian smith View Post

Then the remainder of his guants were at the head of this "trail" in a small cluster.
    To me this isn't unit coherency. The BGB states models within 2" of each other.
    If you look above at the quote, I have emboldened the words to show where the OP is going wrong. Coherency is not " within 2 inches of each other", but any model must be within 2" of at least one other model in the unit. When you say it the former way, it can lead some people to believe that ALL models need to be within 2" of each other [model].

The reason I have pointed this out is because I have frequently seen new players get this confused, then bunch up their large units because they thought they had to.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Awkward to say the least, when this gets 'stretched' like your example but, yep, it's all good and legal. As long as a model is within 2" of another, no problems

You'll see this type of thing with Tyranids (Synapse, Lictors and their Preferred Enemy, and Hive Tyrant Bone Sword), Necrons (We'll Be Back and Res Orb radius), Imperial Guard Ld Bubbles.... any probably many more I can't think of at the moment- but these are the main circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

+ Reply to Thread