new to necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to necrons

im new to playing necrons i used to play space marines so if anyone could give me any ideas on what to look out for and what to use thatd be great
    i already bought
    12 warriors with the scarabs
    1 lord with and without a destroyer body
    1pariah
    1wraith
    1destroyer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Necron Lord1289 View Post
    im new to playing necrons i used to play space marines so if anyone could give me any ideas on what to look out for and what to use thatd be great
    i already bought
    12 warriors with the scarabs
    1 lord with and without a destroyer body
    1pariah
    1wraith
    1destroyer
    The Warriors are required, and for your force organization chart you need at least 10 for your two troops slots.

Warriors are fantastic troops, and some of the most resilient ones in the game. One thing about them that took me a while to figure out is that whatever battleplan you make, include the warriors, otherwise that's 360 points not being used to the fullest at least. Right now I would swear by my warriors.

The lord with a destroyer body shouldn't run around with destroyers ironically enough, as his strengths don't work with theirs. I'd suggest loading him up with a phase shifter, maybe a few wraiths, and the gaze of flame and go troop hunting (not HQ though, he's not bad at hunting HQ's, but most monstrous creature ones will kick his ass). Whenever I use him like this he wipes out 1-2 squads.

Pariahs are interesting, have great synergy with flayed ones, but overall most don't find them worth it. It's not that they are bad, but rather that they aren't as good as the rest, especially with phase out (I haven't used them, but this is what I've heard).

Wraiths are good, the problem with them is that you really have to pick targets and run around the cover on the board well to use them effectively.

Destroyers are incredible. They can do everything but close combat. The main problem with them is that oddly enough they are some of the most fragile units in our army, because if the opponent can kill the unit they can't make wbb rolls unless another unit is within 6", which isn't what you want to do since that would restrict their movement. I recommend using Destroyers as snipers, taking out tanks and hard to kill units, while using their range and terrain to make sure most units can't get a clean shot off at them.

Scarabs are incredible as well. If you give them disruptor fields they will destroy tanks, and without they can tie up most units for a huge amount of time. They are also very cheap in point cost, so there really is no drawback to using them.

The consensus on Heavy destroyers it seems is that they aren't worth it. I haven't used flayed ones, Immortals or tomb spiders enough to say much on them personally. I plan to get some of each though.

Someone else will have to post on the Monolith, I don't and probably will never own one (it just doesn't appeal to me, not to mention I like the fact that my opponents tank hunting weapons are worthless against my warriors in this case).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inmortals are a must if you can afford them. They are simply amasing. They are resilient and extremely good at shooting, and they are cheap in points.

Destroyers are also a must, and are cheaper (in money). They can do everything you want them to do, are very moviles and are equiped with a long range weapon.

The monolith is my favourite necron unit, but I'll suggest it to bigger battles (you should first buy some more warriors, inmortals, destroyers and even something more before the monolith). But in that battles, the monolith always shines. It kills everithing, helps wbb rolls, is near indestructible for some armys... I love it.

So these are my suggestions: some more warriors (you have to take at least another box but buy more than one more), inmortals, destroyers, and then choose wathever you like... But in the end, buy a monolith!!!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Well first off is another box of warriors. That will give you your second compulsory troops choice. Id stick with using the foot lord as your only HQ for now too. Also the etra box will give you a unit of 6 scarab swarms in total (8 if you use 3 to a base). These guys are great in any Cron army as they are speedy and can tie up enemy units in combat, taking them out the game.
    Definitely go for a unit of Immortals for use as your Lords retinue. Id advise to stay away from pariahs for now (although you could use the one you have as an immortal, that should be fine)
    A unit of 3 wraits works great in low point games, so look at getting 2 more of these. Destroyers are great at any level, so 2 more of these too, or even a full unit of 5 if you can and want to afford it.
    Once you hit 1250pts, get yourslf a Monolith, they are amazing vehicles when used correctly.

+ Reply to Thread