Librarium Online Forums banner

Tyranid Warriors & Devourers - question

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  thescourgexv88 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

Quick question here and I apologize if it's pretty obvious. I'd like to equip a few broods of warriors with 2 x Devourers, but I'm curious as to what happens with the remaining arm sockets? The codex states you can only choose two weapons from the list, but the model leaves two spots open after attaching two devourers. Would it be illegal to attach some scything talons to the model, but not use them? Hope I'm making sense here lol!

Thanks,
Cisco

#2 ·
Here is the thing. Warriors use the gaunt devourers that take up 2 arm sockets each. What you did isn't wrong, and it looks a hell of a lot better, but that explains why you have extra arm sockets. Personally I would never do the two layers of 2 arm guns because it looks idiotic. I would say that you can add scything talons but not have them count for anything. I mean, they can be like the ravener 3rd pair of limbs that don't count for anything.

IMO though, I wouldn't give each warrior 2 devourers. I mean, they become twinlinked, so it isn't as supremely dakka as it sounds and can add up to a relatively expensive warrior with limited purpose.

#9 ·
I would say that you can add scything talons but not have them count for anything. I mean, they can be like the ravener 3rd pair of limbs that don't count for anything.
This is true, I would suggest the use of smaller than normal scything talons for the Tyranid warriors. Use Hormagaunt or Genestealer scything talons as these will look smaller and weaker than the scything talons tyranid warriors normally use.

#3 ·
Do remember even living ammunition needs to be fed to the living weapon-symbiote... As is the case for non-MC Devourers. Thus you could convert the limbs into atrophied limb-tubes feeding ammo to the pair of Devos. This also conveniently skirts around the issue of using ScyTal or other limbs for the otherwise empty sockets. =)

Alternatively, I wouldn't use the normal Warrior ScyTal for the second set. Gaunt ScyTal would be smaller and look relatively useless, which would convey the fact that they aren't in use. Convert them so that they're kept very close to the body, and you're set.

But frankly, I wouldn't bother with Devos on Warriors... Too weak (even with LiveAmmo) and can't do squat to vehicles in most cases as you're probably not going to see the rear of them. But do as you will, I just recommend proxying them out first so as to test their actual effectiveness. ;)

#5 ·
Do remember even living ammunition needs to be fed to the living weapon-symbiote... As is the case for non-MC Devourers. Thus you could convert the limbs into atrophied limb-tubes feeding ammo to the pair of Devos. This also conveniently skirts around the issue of using ScyTal or other limbs for the otherwise empty sockets. =)

Alternatively, I wouldn't use the normal Warrior ScyTal for the second set. Gaunt ScyTal would be smaller and look relatively useless, which would convey the fact that they aren't in use. Convert them so that they're kept very close to the body, and you're set.

But frankly, I wouldn't bother with Devos on Warriors... Too weak (even with LiveAmmo) and can't do squat to vehicles in most cases as you're probably not going to see the rear of them. But do as you will, I just recommend proxying them out first so as to test their actual effectiveness. ;)
What other weapons would you reccomend on the warriors? I kind of like the idea of the Devourers...

My list already includes 2 Hive Tyrants with 2 x Twin-Linked Devourers and 2 x SniperFexs.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Well as most people pointed out , devourers are not for vehicles.
use deathspitter or the sniperfex for that. warriors are there for synapse and infantry killing.

as the french say it : C'est tous

the great thing about the tyranid army is that it can adept. adept, not mix roles.

also to the guy who pointed out that twin linking them was a bad idea:

I don't really know the exact cost but I seem to remember that the point difference between ST and another devourer was 2 -4 points ? correct me if I'm wrong off course.

but still I find that spending a few more points for something you'll get something off then that thing that you might need when you get a charge .. I'll go with my twin linking

#7 ·
People must not be reading my blog or listening to the things I'm saying.

Twinlinked devourer warriors are godly and cheap. Just don't spend points on EC, keep 'em in cover, and mow down infantry of any type - terminators on down - for cheap. For 105 points you get 12 twinlinked re-roll wounding s4 bs3 shots per turn, on a unit that still has s5 and 2a at i4/ws4 in close combat. They rock.

Furthermore, I shake my head every time I see someone buy scything talons for not much cheaper on ranged warriors, nerfing their ranged ability and leaving them still relatively crappy in close combat. Make units GREAT at one thing and OK at another, instead of trying to make them "slightly above ok" at two things, when in reality they're going to spend most of the game doing one or the other. Either make leaping, rending, scything warriors for melee, or make machine gun dakka warriors for ranged anti-infantry, or deathspitter/vc warriors for anti-tank. Stop splitting their roles, people! It's like giving a carnifex a venom cannon and scything talons instead of vc+bs ... just not bright.

They're not supposed to kill tanks if they are armed with twinlinked devourers, so why would you care if they can't kill them? That's like complaining that a sniperfex isn't very good in close combat against multiple targets. Who cares?

#13 ·
Furthermore, I shake my head every time I see someone buy scything talons for not much cheaper on ranged warriors, nerfing their ranged ability and leaving them still relatively crappy in close combat. Make units GREAT at one thing and OK at another, instead of trying to make them "slightly above ok" at two things, when in reality they're going to spend most of the game doing one or the other. Either make leaping, rending, scything warriors for melee, or make machine gun dakka warriors for ranged anti-infantry, or deathspitter/vc warriors for anti-tank. Stop splitting their roles, people! It's like giving a carnifex a venom cannon and scything talons instead of vc+bs ... just not bright.

While I agree with this point when talking about dakka warriors, I think other situations may warrant it. With mine I take DS+ST, mainly because I do not wish to spend the points to twin-link the deathspitters. Larger games may be a different story.

As I mentioned before, I use a full brood. Very effective.

#8 ·
while Im all for h2h I have to aggree with the the abovestatement and have this to say about the extra slot....Wings...I made a post a bit ago about this and how you can use those talons to make your own wings which look way cooler then the ones you can buy from gw and or Fw.

However if your playing a sm army whorth a dam they will mow you warriors down just to take out the synapse creatures.

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies all. For some reason this has been the most difficult decision for me in building this army. Do I go for the dakka warriors or focus more on ant-infantry? I'm sure getting out there and playing will certainly help, but seeing as nids are pretty expensive I'd like to get everything built, painted and ready go ;)!

#15 ·
Back to my orginal post. oOes anyone have any suggestions or links to pictures of Tyranid Warriors w/ Twin-Linked Devourers? I'm trying to find a way how to make them look unique rather than standing straight up w/ a Devourer on each side. I'm considering leaning them forwards a bit and puting the Devourers on it's back. Shoudl I be posting this in a different forum?

Thanks agin for the help!

#18 ·
2 devourers on a warrior isn't too bad, at least I think. I never used warriors with 2 devourers.

As for the "extra arm sockets", you should go for the idea with the ammo feeds to the devourers. It looks quite nice, and it forgoes any confusing from you opponent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.