Tyranid Warriors & Devourers - question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member TheCiscoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New England
    Age
    38
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    16 (x1)

    Tyranid Warriors & Devourers - question

    Greetings all,

    Quick question here and I apologize if it's pretty obvious. I'd like to equip a few broods of warriors with 2 x Devourers, but I'm curious as to what happens with the remaining arm sockets? The codex states you can only choose two weapons from the list, but the model leaves two spots open after attaching two devourers. Would it be illegal to attach some scything talons to the model, but not use them? Hope I'm making sense here lol!

    Thanks,
    Cisco


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    It's a Trap! Warrior47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

    Here is the thing. Warriors use the gaunt devourers that take up 2 arm sockets each. What you did isn't wrong, and it looks a hell of a lot better, but that explains why you have extra arm sockets. Personally I would never do the two layers of 2 arm guns because it looks idiotic. I would say that you can add scything talons but not have them count for anything. I mean, they can be like the ravener 3rd pair of limbs that don't count for anything.

    IMO though, I wouldn't give each warrior 2 devourers. I mean, they become twinlinked, so it isn't as supremely dakka as it sounds and can add up to a relatively expensive warrior with limited purpose.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

  4. #3
    Son of LO Uzi-99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

    Do remember even living ammunition needs to be fed to the living weapon-symbiote... As is the case for non-MC Devourers. Thus you could convert the limbs into atrophied limb-tubes feeding ammo to the pair of Devos. This also conveniently skirts around the issue of using ScyTal or other limbs for the otherwise empty sockets. =)

    Alternatively, I wouldn't use the normal Warrior ScyTal for the second set. Gaunt ScyTal would be smaller and look relatively useless, which would convey the fact that they aren't in use. Convert them so that they're kept very close to the body, and you're set.

    But frankly, I wouldn't bother with Devos on Warriors... Too weak (even with LiveAmmo) and can't do squat to vehicles in most cases as you're probably not going to see the rear of them. But do as you will, I just recommend proxying them out first so as to test their actual effectiveness.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

  5. #4
    Member Wundagore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    29
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    Well as most people pointed out , devourers are not for vehicles.
    use deathspitter or the sniperfex for that. warriors are there for synapse and infantry killing.

    as the french say it : C'est tous

    the great thing about the tyranid army is that it can adept. adept, not mix roles.

    also to the guy who pointed out that twin linking them was a bad idea:

    I don't really know the exact cost but I seem to remember that the point difference between ST and another devourer was 2 -4 points ? correct me if I'm wrong off course.

    but still I find that spending a few more points for something you'll get something off then that thing that you might need when you get a charge .. I'll go with my twin linking


    Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

  6. #5
    Member TheCiscoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New England
    Age
    38
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    16 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi-99 View Post
    Do remember even living ammunition needs to be fed to the living weapon-symbiote... As is the case for non-MC Devourers. Thus you could convert the limbs into atrophied limb-tubes feeding ammo to the pair of Devos. This also conveniently skirts around the issue of using ScyTal or other limbs for the otherwise empty sockets. =)

    Alternatively, I wouldn't use the normal Warrior ScyTal for the second set. Gaunt ScyTal would be smaller and look relatively useless, which would convey the fact that they aren't in use. Convert them so that they're kept very close to the body, and you're set.

    But frankly, I wouldn't bother with Devos on Warriors... Too weak (even with LiveAmmo) and can't do squat to vehicles in most cases as you're probably not going to see the rear of them. But do as you will, I just recommend proxying them out first so as to test their actual effectiveness.
    What other weapons would you reccomend on the warriors? I kind of like the idea of the Devourers...

    My list already includes 2 Hive Tyrants with 2 x Twin-Linked Devourers and 2 x SniperFexs.

    Thanks.

  7. #6
    Son of LO psichotykwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,638
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid View Post
    What other weapons would you reccomend on the warriors? I kind of like the idea of the Devourers...

    My list already includes 2 Hive Tyrants with 2 x Twin-Linked Devourers and 2 x SniperFexs.

    Thanks.
    I recommend putting Deathspitters on warriors, with one warrior armed with a Venom Cannon instead. Enhanced Senses and Toxin Sacs to increase the effectiveness. GREAT for killing infantry, and you have a decent chance to knock out lightly armored vehicles.

    As for the other weapon, just go ahead and take the Scything Talons. Cheap, and ya have to take another anyway...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

  8. #7
    Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia, near Washington, DC, USA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

    People must not be reading my blog or listening to the things I'm saying.

    Twinlinked devourer warriors are godly and cheap. Just don't spend points on EC, keep 'em in cover, and mow down infantry of any type - terminators on down - for cheap. For 105 points you get 12 twinlinked re-roll wounding s4 bs3 shots per turn, on a unit that still has s5 and 2a at i4/ws4 in close combat. They rock.

    Furthermore, I shake my head every time I see someone buy scything talons for not much cheaper on ranged warriors, nerfing their ranged ability and leaving them still relatively crappy in close combat. Make units GREAT at one thing and OK at another, instead of trying to make them "slightly above ok" at two things, when in reality they're going to spend most of the game doing one or the other. Either make leaping, rending, scything warriors for melee, or make machine gun dakka warriors for ranged anti-infantry, or deathspitter/vc warriors for anti-tank. Stop splitting their roles, people! It's like giving a carnifex a venom cannon and scything talons instead of vc+bs ... just not bright.

    They're not supposed to kill tanks if they are armed with twinlinked devourers, so why would you care if they can't kill them? That's like complaining that a sniperfex isn't very good in close combat against multiple targets. Who cares?
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    while Im all for h2h I have to aggree with the the abovestatement and have this to say about the extra slot....Wings...I made a post a bit ago about this and how you can use those talons to make your own wings which look way cooler then the ones you can buy from gw and or Fw.

    However if your playing a sm army whorth a dam they will mow you warriors down just to take out the synapse creatures.

  10. #9
    Blood Boy Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,643
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    795 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    I would say that you can add scything talons but not have them count for anything. I mean, they can be like the ravener 3rd pair of limbs that don't count for anything.
    This is true, I would suggest the use of smaller than normal scything talons for the Tyranid warriors. Use Hormagaunt or Genestealer scything talons as these will look smaller and weaker than the scything talons tyranid warriors normally use.

  11. #10
    Son of LO Uzi-99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

    Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    I recommend putting Deathspitters on warriors, with one warrior armed with a Venom Cannon instead. Enhanced Senses and Toxin Sacs to increase the effectiveness. GREAT for killing infantry, and you have a decent chance to knock out lightly armored vehicles.

    As for the other weapon, just go ahead and take the Scything Talons. Cheap, and ya have to take another anyway...
    --- Wyrm nailed it, except for one minor point... Their main target is light vehicles, not infantry. =)

    I find that most of the time infantry can be dealt with in close combat, whereas vehicles need to be silenced at range. Taking ranged Warriors simply for anti-Infantry isn't too useful in my opinion, but feel free to try! As far as taking ScyTal for the second set of bioweaponry goes, as said, it is cheap. I don't think paying the points for a second ToxSac-boosted DSpitter is that good a deal, considering what other races pay for their Twin-Links... Though this of course does make them more likely to hit.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts