Query about Nid ranged antitank abilities - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Query about Nid ranged antitank abilities

Been trying to plan out my 1000pt list as of late and have decided to go fast with it (gaunts, leaping warriors and raveners mainly) but have hit somewhat of a dead end with ranged anti tank, i would normally rely on rending claws but there are a lot of eldar and tau players around here who just love their skimmers.

Problem is i wanna try and avoid MCs (is this even possible?) and so have been considering zoanthropes with warp blast.. is this a good idea? the plan would be 2 of them with warp blast and either psychic scream or synapse (leaning toward the latter).. this would cost me 130 points.

Now my question is do zoanthropes draw a lot of fire? if so am i gonna be better off with 130 pt of sniperfex?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

I love Zoanthropes.. but they do also work better when you have a few TMCs, too, as they are more easily overlooked. Otherwise, it's a case of Multishot guns @ little Gribblies, and Anti-tank guns at the Zoans (due to the hurty Warp Blast template you spit out:rofl). When you have Gaunts, TMC and Zoe's, then the Zoe's can easily be overlooked in the opponents shooting phase.

Even a cheap dakka Carni spitting some dice, and a pair of Zoans. I dunno. Zoe's always work for me, Warp Blast and Synapse (you'd be suprised how many people forget that a Lascannon shot doesn't InstaKill). And tag teams are always better than a solo-mission :ballon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jonesie having considered what you said i'm gonna add a dakkafex i think, now to just decide what to drop, i've put my list here along with a general description of my choices, any help would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

I agree with jONESIE, without MCs the Zoans are too obvious as targets... I also wouldn't rely solely on WBlast for anti-tank, as the high-power setting can be nullified (ok, the Tau can't, and I really am not too familiar with the current Eldar), it has mediocre range, and is single shot with the Zoan BS being merely average.

For serious anti-vehicle work, I personally see little alternative to VCannons on MCs. Good range, multiple shots, good-excellent Str, and is usually plenty enough to stop a vehicle from shooting... Of course, against Tau and Eldar the Dakkafex just might be able to do the trick.

Not saying you can't do a list that can do well without MCs, just that you're going to have difficulties against vehicle-heavy lists. =/

Have you considered Warriors (EnhSen, ToxSac) with DSpitters + ScyTal, one in brood VCannon+ ScyTal? They can help against lighter vehicles, although they're less useful against tanks. You might also want to consider Bio-Acid Spore Mine Clusters.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Fexes are the way to go.

Warriors aren't going to get you the ability to reliably ding Armor 12-13, and you can't touch Armor 14 with them.

Zoanthropes are ok, but 18" range for anti-tank is a bit questionable, as is the fact that they have to pass a psychic test (even w/ LD10), will be rolling extra dice or something against skimmer-tastic Eldar armies often due to farseer quirkiness, and then only hit on a 4+ with one shot. Despite the ability to penetrate, you're much more likely to kill or at least disable a tank with carnifex fire of 2 s10 shots and 1 s8 shot that hit on a 4+ each.

It's what they're made for, especially vs. skimmers.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always go with biovores. Buy three and arm them with bio-acid spores. This means they have nice range, don't require LOS(line of sight) and the acid has its funky penetration against vehicles.

If your opponents run open-topped vehicles, then arm the biovores with toxin spores. It will automatically inflict a glancing hit with the toxin against open-topped, which really means it will inflict two glancing hits, because the biovore attack is considered a barrage weapon (look it up its in the rule book).
    Last edited by jONESIE; September 25th, 2007 at 01:17. Reason: ;)

+ Reply to Thread