What's worth taking? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's worth taking?

I want to buy a lot of Tau models soon, but I need to know what's worth taking an what's not.
    Here's just a list of things I was thinking of:
    Kroot Shaper, Kroot Hounds, Sniper Drone Teams, Kroot Carnivores (I currently have a unit of 12, should I get more?), and Sky Ray. And please describe how each of them is worth it.

Also, two more questions: If you buy Fire Warriors, and don't put on the shoulder pads, do they look like Pathfinders?

And why would I take a Railhead over a Broadside team? I can afford (points wise) about two Broadsides for one Railhead. Railheads are more maneuverable (but their gun is heavy anyways), but Broadsides can be given ASS and are twin-linked.

Thanks in advance!

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Carrot View Post
    I want to buy a lot of Tau models soon, but I need to know what's worth taking an what's not.
    Here's just a list of things I was thinking of:
    Kroot Shaper, Kroot Hounds, Sniper Drone Teams, Kroot Carnivores (I currently have a unit of 12, should I get more?), and Sky Ray. And please describe how each of them is worth it.
    This is rather confusing! Is this what you want to use, what you think is good, or what you think is bad?
    Also, two more questions: If you buy Fire Warriors, and don't put on the shoulder pads, do they look like Pathfinders?
    Well... Not that much no.

And why would I take a Railhead over a Broadside team? I can afford (points wise) about two Broadsides for one Railhead. Railheads are more maneuverable (but their gun is heavy anyways), but Broadsides can be given ASS and are twin-linked.
    Because Railheads are much more durable, as it has good armour and with the good upgrades it can only get glanced... Other then that, it has the option to use the ordinance template, which is really good!
    Thanks in advance!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay these are all units that I don't use but here is what i think of them:

Kroot Shaper - rubbish use the points to buy more kroot
    Kroot Hounds - brilliant someone else will tell you how many to have in a sqyad to make the most out of them though
    Sniper Drone Teams - supposed to be great against MEQ armies but have the worst BS of any sniper unit in 40K
    Kroot Carnivores (I currently have a unit of 12, should I get more?) - the more the merrier they are cheap and combined with hounds are reall really good anti assualt unit
    Sky Ray - a great durable maker light set up

fire warriors without pads and pulse carbines could be used as pathfinders if you want to. as long as you tell your opponent what they are

railheads are in my opinion the bast tank in the game. stick a multitracker on it and move 12" and you can fire everything and benifit from the skimmer moving fast rules meaning they can only ever take glancing hits and if they get assualted the opponent needs 6's to hit. also they can use the submunnition rounds which the broadsides can't. don't get me wrong broadside have a place in a list but I'd always take a railhead over them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Kroot Shaper: Garbage. as said before buy normal kroot over this guy

Kroot Hounds: great to add to a carnivore squad to make a good counterassualt unit

Sniper Drone Teams: Great MEQ and can bust av10 in a pinch. Get a markerlight with each squad as well. Make sure to light targets up with markerlights for the +BS before shooting with theese.

Kroot Carnivores: I wish i could fit them into my list. Kroot are much more than capable of earning their points back and then some. Great counterassualt unit and can make a highly survivable shooting unit if dumped 7 inches into cover (they can shoot out 12. enemies can only shoot in 6 =) ). Everything you use theese guys for is worth the tiny ammount of points they cost.

Sky Ray: High survival highly mobile markerlight platform that comes with 6 seeker missiles. Gives you 2 more markerlights and lord knows you can never have enough of those.

Also, two more questions: If you buy Fire Warriors, and don't put on the shoulder pads, do they look like Pathfinders? If you model them with pulse carbines then of course you can mate.

And why would I take a Railhead over a Broadside team? Railheads are extremely survivable vs fire of all types do to being an AV 13 skimmer. Make sure to throw decoy launchers on it to make it even more survivable. Also Railheads get that nasty template attack that Broadsides do not. It kills guard by the bakers dozen and if you hit say a ripper swarm with them. Well they entire unit goes by by in a single shot. Also handy for pinging away at marines if all AV 13-14 targets are dead.

In addition. Railguns are best suited to taking down AV13 and AV14. How many of those does the opponent field O_o?. If more then 2 then take the broadsides. If only 1 or 2 use the railhead and once they are dead lay out that template goodness
    Looking for help with your Ogre kingdoms. Need help against them? have burning questions about life or why Dave's Avatar is so creepy. Feel free to stop by and ask OverTyrant Loki

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1104558

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

IAnd why would I take a Railhead over a Broadside team? I can afford (points wise) about two Broadsides for one Railhead. Railheads are more maneuverable (but their gun is heavy anyways), but Broadsides can be given ASS and are twin-linked.
    Most of the reasons have already been covered but the large blast template option is by
    far and away the best one. Another major one is that Broadsides seem to be prone to being caught - and stuffed - in HTH by power weapon-wielding chappies with jump-packs (or at least mine do, at any rate). Notwithstanding the actual points cost, I've found that my Hammerheads always seem to survive longer than my Broadsides. That could just be down to my tactical ineptitude but it does mean that I'm much more likely to take Hammerheads than Broadsides because they appear to have greater survivability.

Hammerheads also seem to be a (much) greater fire magnet than Broadsides, which may (or may not) be a blessing in disguise. I've certainly found this aspect to be useful psychologically on occasion, when the mere perceived threat of my Hammerheads was enough to throw my opponent on to the defensive by raecting to what I was doing with my HHs instead of trying to retain the initiative.

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire Warriors are your bread and butter of your army in my opinion. Also some crisis suits and a Railhead is always worth it if you use it right.

I only use kroot when i feel like laughing at space chickens (its prety funny if you think about it) fighting. There good units but I run an all mobile army.

I've never run a skyray so i cant help you there but they seem pretty cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two more questions (having to do with rules): Do Sniper Drones count as Snipers? (ie hit on 2+, wound on 4+?), and how do Shield Drones work? Do you focus all the attacks onto one drone until it's dead (to avoid 'spreading around' wounds), or somehow evenly distribute all the attacks?

Thanks again.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Two more questions (having to do with rules): Do Sniper Drones count as Snipers? (ie hit on 2+, wound on 4+?) Thanks again.
    Sadly not. Tau Sniper Drones are the least "snipery" of any snipers. They are decribed as being equipped to provide pinpoint accurate ... firepower, yet their stats do not support this. They have the same BS as a normal drone, augmented by a targetting array and they can also benefit from their spotter's networked ML. Min you, what they lack in accuracy they make up for in Str and AP, how many other snipers have the Str and AP of Sniper Drones? None. AND they have Stealth technology which means it can be very hard to hit them (something which ALL snipers ought to have IMO).

You'll find all of the above is made clear in the Sniper Drone Team entry on p40, and in the Stealth Field Generator entry on p27, of the Codex.

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Two more questions (having to do with rules): Do Sniper Drones count as Snipers? (ie hit on 2+, wound on 4+?), and how do Shield Drones work? Do you focus all the attacks onto one drone until it's dead (to avoid 'spreading around' wounds), or somehow evenly distribute all the attacks?

Thanks again.
    Word of advice (friendly) buy a Codex8Y

+ Reply to Thread