Marker Drone vs Markerlight Shas'ui - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Marker Drones VS Markerlight Shas'ui

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take the one Drone

1 20.00%
  • Take two drones

1 20.00%
  • just give the Shas'ui a regular markerlight

3 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marker Drone vs Markerlight Shas'ui

Im currious to see what my fellow Shas'o tend to think about this, Is it a better bet to go with one/two marker drones for an extra 30/60 points, or just give your firewarrior Shas'ui a Markerlight?

Oh.. but i dont look so good with all those.. tentaclly things..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is my belief that marker lights should only be used by pathfinders and skyrays. I play a very mobile list and fire warriors with heavy weapons don't fit in.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the drone is quite a bit more expensive than a markerlight on the 'ui, it has the significant advantage of being a networked markerlight, so that it can provide its markerlight benefit to the unit it's in or to a different unit. I have run a ML drone on each of my static FW squads since they were introduced, and have been very pleased with the results.

However, I know a lot of players prefer the Skyray for networked ML support, or Pathfinders for lots of MLs.
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or of the one . . . unless the one is me." -- O'Shova

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratassj View Post
    Im currious to see what my fellow Shas'o tend to think about this, Is it a better bet to go with one/two marker drones for an extra 30/60 points, or just give your firewarrior Shas'ui a Markerlight?
    Whats better is to not take either, FW are not ML units they are best utilised doing what they do best shooting things with pulse rifles, to do this they need to be mobile (in a DF if possible) and lumbering them with a heavy class ML just hinders them.
    A FW ML is BS3 which means 50% miss rate (usually more) so why waste the points. TO be useful the Shas needs a target lock as well which means even more cost and ML drones are to bloody expensive.
    Save the points for something useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, now that I think about it more, markerlights should be left solely to pathfinders. Giving ML to troop type units hinders there movement to much, and a skyray is a ridiculously exspensive way to get two MLs. A skyray has 75 point MLs and pathfinders have 26 (about) point MLs. Yes the skyray is a mobile ML shooter, but I just can't justify the points cost, not only that but now you have to give up one of the best guns in the game to get a skyray in your FOC.

What would be better is if there was another fast attack option, a vehicle like a piranha, that could have two MLs and a few seekers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this poll does need the neither option, that is my vote.

As for Skyrays being too expensive, I disagree. If you are looking at the per markerlight cost I can see where the impression that they are too costly would come from, but you get a lot for your costs. The main thing being that you take those two MLs and roll them up nicely in a few tons of steel. We all know how much firepower pathfinders tend to draw, and I'm sure all of us who have used them have had had that terrible ordeal where the pathfinders get shot up in the first turn, fail a check, and run off the board screaming and yelling. You don't have that with a skyray. I know that the skyray can be just as big of a firemagnet, but it can handle it better (plus it gives the added benefit of fire being pulled away from your railheads). Also it's mobile, the ability to move and fire your MLs is really quite handy. Lastly the MLs coming out of a skyray are BS4 vs BS3, which is just a nice little boost. The thing that stings the most is of course giving up the third hammerhead for it, but it's worth it in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pendgaft View Post
    Yeah, this poll does need the neither option, that is my vote.

As for Skyrays being too expensive, I disagree. If you are looking at the per markerlight cost I can see where the impression that they are too costly would come from, but you get a lot for your costs. The main thing being that you take those two MLs and roll them up nicely in a few tons of steel. We all know how much firepower pathfinders tend to draw, and I'm sure all of us who have used them have had had that terrible ordeal where the pathfinders get shot up in the first turn, fail a check, and run off the board screaming and yelling. You don't have that with a skyray. I know that the skyray can be just as big of a firemagnet, but it can handle it better (plus it gives the added benefit of fire being pulled away from your railheads). Also it's mobile, the ability to move and fire your MLs is really quite handy. Lastly the MLs coming out of a skyray are BS4 vs BS3, which is just a nice little boost. The thing that stings the most is of course giving up the third hammerhead for it, but it's worth it in my opinion.
    Yeah, I've had pathfinders shot to *&%$ the first or second turn as well, that hurts. But I've also had HH shot to pieces in the same amount of time. Mobility is nice but I find 8 models in cover are more duable than a single vehicle, even a skimmer moving fast. If my pathfinders are drawing alot of firepower than I believe they are doing their job. If they are being shot at then they can fire back using their long range MLs so mobility isn't as bid an issue, with a shas'ui (I think) and a bonding knife they can survive a while. Plus pathfinders are made of metal, not plastic like skyrays, so that right there proves they are tougher, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I like to vote in polls, however I cannot vote in this one.

It is a bad idea to take any of these options.

However, markerlight shas'ui are not as bad as marker drones, because that is less wasted points.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Otsego View Post
    What would be better is if there was another fast attack option, a vehicle like a piranha, that could have two MLs and a few seekers.
    There is, sort of ... well, sort of ... 'ish ... ... The Tetra?

~ Ravenscraig ~

+ Reply to Thread