Sniper Drones - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Drones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper Drones

I used 3 units of 3 this weekend when playing against a world eaters force and I've got to say I was quite impressed. they did a fair amount of damage to his 'Zerkers.

But for snipers they sure do have a rubbish BS skill!!! compared to Eldar pathfinders - hit at the equivilent to BS5 with an AP 1 hit on 5 or 6 plus they get an improved cover save aswell!! and they are about the same points cost

yeah i know they get a markerlight chucked in and stealth generator but come on!!! Hitting on a 4+? snipers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

It's a bit strange I suppose in such a shooty army that their snipers are so different from the typical sniper. However,

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    they get a markerlight chucked in and stealth generator
    there is that.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

And its a BS4 Networked Markerlight! Can't really beat that...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly wouldn't bother with these units if they were regular snipers. True, they may only hit half the time, but generally they wound on 2's, and will ignore the saves of fully 1/3 of the armies out there. They can only be shot at by weaponry which they can shoot(so they won't be out-ranged, except for barrage weaponry), and they have a Markerlight, which can make this team very versatile. Going against Pathfinders? Knock that 2+ to a 4+ or worse. Against Marine armies? BS 4 snipers!

The only other sniper that can come up to touch the heels of these drones are Craftworld Eldar Pathfinders. And that's only because they have a 2+ save in 4+ cover, and can ignore armor 1/3 of the time.

My one regret is that they aren't a troops choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Whoops, thought I had something there.....
    Last edited by P-Tail; September 19th, 2007 at 06:47.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Sniper drones are a nice idea, and when used as they should be, to shoot things and not as a ML unit, then they can do well.
    My main gripe is they are a heavy choice, why? most other snipers are troops or elited but ooooh nooooooooo not Tau that would be to easy, we have to lose a Hammerhead, XV88 team or Skyray to take these.
    Another case of GW screw up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Sniper drones are a good unit. They are not as powerful as the hammerhead or a unit of broadsides.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Sniper drones are a nice idea, and when used as they should be, to shoot things and not as a ML unit, then they can do well.
    My main gripe is they are a heavy choice, why? most other snipers are troops or elited but ooooh nooooooooo not Tau that would be to easy, we have to lose a Hammerhead, XV88 team or Skyray to take these.
    Another case of GW screw up.
    thats part of my gripe as to why I struggle to justify them unless I have a free heavy support slot or feel that more than 2 railheads would be overkill.

even as an elite choice I would be struggling to justify dropping XV8's or stealths.

space marines can take scouts with sniper rifles as troops and eldar can upgrade rangers to pathfinder as troops. IG have to take ratlings as elites though....but at least they don't have to sacrifice their heavy choice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tau can't really spare an elite slot either, as the mid to high strength range weapons are in that section.
    MvG, vindicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the gun is classified as a sniper weapon, dosn;t the shooter hit on 2s ( i hve no experience with sniper drones, so i don;y know)

:drinking:

"Like frenzied beasts, they was. But I tell you, there was never a sweeter sound than the howls of the Wulfen that night."
    Sgt. Pridman, veteran of the Tlax slaughter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast