Planes, trains and stealth drone aircraft - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Planes, trains and stealth drone aircraft

Hmm, ok was surprised not to see a thread on the new toy, the Remora. I love the model, and the concept, but am hugely skeptical of its tactical use, any remarks from our resident Tau experts?

Everything you have been told is a lie!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Hmm, ok was surprised not to see a thread on the new toy, the Remora. I love the model, and the concept, but am hugely skeptical of its tactical use, any remarks from our resident Tau experts?
    Well the remora uses the flyer rules, of which I know very little (never used a flyer) but as far as I understand it the Remora attacks in the opponents turn (I may be wrong on this)
    This raises some questions, like the markerlight, if the attacks come in the opponents turn surely this means the ML can only be used by the Remora, so that sucks.
    Next we come to the armaments, we get two seekers and two long ranged burst cannons (twin linked I believe) well Ok the seekers may be useful but 3 BC shots even out to 36" and TL'd seems a bit sucky to me for 110pts.
    Some advantages I can see them having is survivability, stealth field and flyer rules will make them extremely hard to down and I believe they are immune to ordnance and ordnance type weapons, also they are fast attack.
    Overall I am not yet convinced, I love the model and the idea but unless someone gives some positive ideas I will probably not be fielding any.
    I can see these being used in Apocalypse though and I think this is what they are intended for.
    Hopefully someone more conversant with the flyer rules will enlighten us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they would have been nice with two (not twin kinked) long raneg plasma rifles or the underused rail rifles.

the model soes look amazing though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

riki, hi I was hoping you would reply, you echo my own thoughts mate, rules for fliers (roughly, IA rules, these may change for apoc):
    Start in reserve, when they come on you place on any table edge (not limited to your deployment), this represents them on the horizon, comming in for a run, they can not do anything on your turn. On your opponents turn, at the end of his movement phase, they move in a straight line in the direction they are facing as far as you like, at the end of the move they may turn up to 45 degrees.
    Your opponent may shoot at them on any point of the flight path they have travelled, but adds 12 inces to the range and needs a 6 to hit. at the end of his shooting phase you shoot. at the end of his turn you move off the board and return to reserves.

Yes the (NW) marker light does appear to be for its own seekers only.

other guns seem pretty naff for a flier, so whilst I love the model I do think Tau can do the whole thing cheaper and more effectively

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

riki, hi I was hoping you would reply, you echo my own thoughts mate, rules for fliers (roughly, IA rules, these may change for apoc):
    Start in reserve, when they come on you place on any table edge (not limited to your deployment), this represents them on the horizon, comming in for a run, they can not do anything on your turn. On your opponents turn, at the end of his movement phase, they move in a straight line in the direction they are facing as far as you like, at the end of the move they may turn up to 45 degrees.
    Your opponent may shoot at them on any point of the flight path they have travelled, but adds 12 inces to the range and needs a 6 to hit. at the end of his shooting phase you shoot. at the end of his turn you move off the board and return to reserves.

other guns seem pretty naff for a flier, so whilst I love the model I do think Tau can do the whole thing cheaper and more effectively
    So whats the point of a networked ML?, the only use it would have is for other flyers I suppose (Barracuda etc).

To me the weaponry is the worst aspect, is it me or do the FW designers seem to have something against Tau. Honestly would not rail rifles or a single reduced range Ion cannon have made more sense then a bloody burst cannon.
    Seekers are Ok but two seems very miserly.

The flyer rules are pretty much as I remember, did not realise you needed a 6 to hit, couple this with the stealth field, 10AV value (non open topped) and you have a near impossible task to knock it down.

Here is a question, can flyers take objectives? because they will make fantastic last turn objective takers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Didnt think of that, yes of course you could use the NW markerlights not only for its own seekers but those of other aircraft, I also wander (cos I dont recall) when unused marker light counters are removed, there is the prospect of using it for non-seeker usses

sadly no, these fliers can not take objectives as they will not be on the table at the end of the last turn (even if it is your turn and they passed the reserve roll although they are on the edge of the table they do not count as being on the table). Some can I think, basically anything with orbital lander rule which is also not a dedicated transport (Vultures leap to mind)

So be honest the stealth field is neither here nor there, i nmy experiance most people ignore fliers, unless the oportuinty arrises, the opportunity involves the flier flying right past a heavy weapon (which is a daft thing to do) or someone having fast shooting units such as eldar, who can litter the flight path (bear in mind he can see where the path is before he moves) with multi shot weapons
    Last edited by Cheredanine; September 18th, 2007 at 14:58.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Didnt think of that, yes of course you could use the NW markerlights not only for its own seekers but those of other aircraft, I also wander (cos I dont recall) when unused marker light counters are removed, there is the prospect of using it for non-seeker usses

sadly no, these fliers can not take objectives as they will not be on the table at the end of the last turn (even if it is your turn and they passed the reserve roll although they are on the edge of the table they do not count as being on the table). Some can I think, basically anything with orbital lander rule which is also not a dedicated transport (Vultures leap to mind)

So be honest the stealth field is neither here nor there, i nmy experiance most people ignore fliers, unless the oportuinty arrises, the opportunity involves the flier flying right past a heavy weapon (which is a daft thing to do) or someone having fast shooting units such as eldar, who can litter the flight path (bear in mind he can see where the path is before he moves) with multi shot weapons
    I can see a whole new can or worms opening about the ML removal issue, the ML rules state that the tokens are valid for the Tau players turn, so would the ML token generated in the opponents turn be removed at the end of the Tau players following turn (this would seem to fit the rules as written) or would it be removed at the end of the flyers attack turn?.

The inability to take objectives also sucks and twould seem the stealth field is also a tad pointless.

I can see the ML being usefull to guide the bigger flyers weapons, after all a +1 to BS is always nice, thing is though how many are gonna pay £30 for two Remoras on top of £65 for a Barracuda or £125 for a Tiger shark?, not me thats fer shurrrre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    how many are gonna pay £30 for two Remoras on top of £65 for a Barracuda or £125 for a Tiger shark?, not me thats fer shurrrre
    Eyes his tetras and decides to keep quite

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Warning: I'm going to stray a little off topic here!

I'm pretty sure that in the new rules coming out for apocalypse, units that are 'flyers' are now handled differently.

From what I hear, a flyer moves like normal in your own movement phase, and does not move off the board. Instead, it has unlimited movement on the board, with a restriction: It cannot end its movement within 36" of its initial position. Basically, you place the aircraft anywhere on the table, 36" away (or more) from where it started.

Things such as adding 12" to the range, and 6's to hit (for non anti-aircraft guns) are still present, although you merely measure to the flyers actual position, now that it no longer leaves the board.

There might still also be something about not being able to pivot more than 45 degrees, kindof like superheavies, but i'm unsure about that.

Also, things such as some eldar vehicles have the ability to perform 'impossible manouvers", where they can end their movement within 24" instead of 36", or something to that effect.

Just what I've heard on the ol' grapevine! And none of this matters in non-apocalyptic ruleset games anyway. Just thought I'd meantion it, is all!

And I could of course be completely wrong here...
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

no problems mate, I had heard similar rumours, cant see that this does anything other than make the latest addition to the tau armoury worse, forcing it to move into range of weaponry although I suppose it would make the marker lights more attractive, I would expect you can only glance too (how could that not be the rule for an aircraft but for a fast skimmer???)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast