Welcome to Librarium Online!
I've always loved the Genestealer Cult from day one, ever since the Ian Watson short story The Alien Beast Within.
I had a Genestealer Cult years ago when there was an army list in the first 40K boxed set.
But it's gone the way of all flesh and no version exists in the current rules.
So (ignoring Apocalypse) I've came up with the following idea for a "counts as" army for the Genestealer Cult using the Tyranid list.
Help would be appreciated as this is a work in progress.
(NOTE: I've only worked on the transfer of models from one list to the other at the moment - not wargear)
I can't find a good translation for the following Cult weapons:
- Genestealer Patriarch = Brood Lord - easy - straight transfer - no problems
- Magus - Zoanthrope - basically uber psychics with defensive (Hive Mind) and offensive (Warp Blast) capabilities.
- Purestrain Genestealers = Genestealers - Well DUH!
- Genestealer Hybrids = Tyranid Warriors - tough one this - I chose Warriors as Hybrids can have a mix of ranged and hand to hand weapons.
- Brood Brothers = Gaunts - fast, cheap, expendable - sounds like a Gaunt to me!
- Beastmen = Hormagaunts - yes, you could have Beastmen in a Genestealer Cult!
- Brood Brothers w/Jump Packs - Gargoyles - dead simple conversion!
- Mole Mortar - Biovore - the drift of the spore works as the random entry of the mole shell - the only thing I have trouble with is the random movement. I was thinking maybe a hunter-seeker bomb?
- Tanks - Carnifex - tough one this - the only thing I can think of is Defiler-style tanks with assault claws - the battle cannon could be a Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler.
Equally I'm having problems turning the following Tyranid Troops into Cult Troops:
- Rapier Laser Destroyer
Any ideas would be welcome.
- Lictor - maybe some sort of Assassin?
- Ripper Swarms - Slaves?
- Raveners - Spawn or maybe mutants?
- Spore Mine Clusters - Not a clue!
I really want to run a Genestealer Cult in normal 40K and not be restricted to Apocalypse!
All comments welcome :happy:
Do you want to use the Tyranid models to represent something else or do you want to use other models (IG, etc.) but apply the statlines of the Tyranid creatures as they are written in the codex?
a link for rules to make an IG-army into a Genestealer cult using the unorthodox doctrines:
I've put my mind to this on and off in the past... Here's some suggestions i have:
1) i think you're going to have problems passing a lictor or Tyranid warriors off as something smaller than their actual models. Warriors could be represented as hybrid or brood brother ogryns.
2) the carnifex/tank thing is a little iffy. I'd just leave 'em out if you could manage it. Though depending on where your cult is from, the carnifex could be represented as a modified sentinel, something stolen from a worksite, with loading arms/welder/whatever still attatched and a gun retro-fitted onto it.
3) spore mine clusters... as topical as this is, i'd suggest you convert some brood brothers with explosives strapped to their bodies as suicide bombers.
4) Rapier laser destroyer and Thuddgun, a lot of armies had this in second edition, i'd just leave it out as it seemed to just die off in 3rd.
5) I think spawn would be your best bet... genetic rejects or hybrids that destabilized.
6) Rippers, no earthly idea... maybe a sort of genestealer 'pup' pack? genestealers that haven't grown up yet?
Great ideas We Are Legion -
Carnifex - hmmm Combat sentinels - Hey what about using the Penitent Engine models! Duh I don't know how I didn't spot that!
Brood Brother Ogryns.....nice visual, after all the Purestrain infection can infect any race........but Ogryns and the Hive Mind don't really go together. Unless.....wait a moment...pskonic transmitters! (Worship the Cult.the Cult loves you.....). Yeah that may work.
Has anyone seen the Chaos Army list from the newest Forgeworld book? I'm wondering if the models or rules from that could also be raped for Genestealer Cult usage?
Rippers......yeah I know it's a bitch.......unless I use the Necromunda beasties and give the unit a handler (purely for visual purposes only).
LOVE the exploding suicide bomber idea! (rep)